Best speakers for $500?
Oct 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
Titles says it all. Listen to all types of music. Also I will be getting a Music Hall 2.2LE turntable. Any others you would recommend for $500 or less?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 77
Do you already have an amplifier, or are you looking for active speakers? 

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 77
Bump

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 77
I think you will need a phono stage for that turntable. Can't just plug powered speakers directly up to it. And if you plan on listening to other devices (cd player, computer), a 2 channel receiver or integrated amp with a built in phono stage and passive speakers may make more sense. You can get a factory refurbished and warrantied HK 3390 directly from Harman Kardon off Ebay.  

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 77
I think you will need a phono stage for that turntable. Can't just plug powered speakers directly up to it. And if you plan on listening to other devices (cd player, computer), a 2 channel receiver or integrated amp with a built in phono stage and passive speakers may make more sense. You can get a factory refurbished and warrantied HK 3390 directly from Harman Kardon off Ebay.  
I have a Yamaha receiver.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 77
Then you don't need powered monitors. You would be paying extra for electronics/amplification. Get passive speakers with your budget. Maybe the Kef iQ30. They are on close out from Kef because of a newer model. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE are a good deal; Internet direct vendor that has better pricing that most brick and mortar store speakers at full MSRP.  You aren't going to find active speakers for $500 that equal the SQ of these and other passives that are good values at that price. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 77
Hit submit too soon. Also checkout Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2, NHT Classic Three, and PSB Image B5 speakers. Paradigm if you can demo them locally (not easy to buy online).  Focal Chorus or B&W 600 series, but you'd have to go with a smaller driver speaker.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 77
Quote:
Then you don't need powered monitors. You would be paying extra for electronics/amplification. Get passive speakers with your budget. Maybe the Kef iQ30. They are on close out from Kef because of a newer model. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE are a good deal; Internet direct vendor that has better pricing that most brick and mortar store speakers at full MSRP.  You aren't going to find active speakers for $500 that equal the SQ of these and other passives that are good values at that price. 

Those Kef iQ30 look good. Would a Yamaha RX-V420 work well? (my receiver)
Quote:

I do not want to buy used, thank you for the recommendation though. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 77
Also is the Music Hall 2.2 a good turntable choice for $500?

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 77
Quote:

Those Kef iQ30 look good. Would a Yamaha RX-V420 work well? (my receiver)

Sure. Your receiver will power them well. Isn't it rated close to 100 watts per channel? Probably get more than loud enough for you unless you are trying to blast your ear drums or fill a very large room 
smile.gif

And certainly you might find something you like better at around $500-$600 for passive speakers of this size if you could demo a lot of different speakers. But those compete well in that class and are just heavily discounted for close out. Definitely one of the deals of the moment if you are buying speakers in this price range unheard off the Internet. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 77
Fry's has Infinity Primus 363 speakers on sale (last I checked) for $109 a piece. That would leave reasonable money for a Sub. 
Pioneer has gotten some excellent reviews in that price range of late as well. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 77
Music Hall 2.2 good?

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 77
I'm not a vinyl person, so I can't tell you. Ask these guys over at AVS in the 2 channel audio forum. They are often giving advice about turntables for getting into the vinyl hobby. 

However, I do now that some of them caution about getting into vinyl unless you already have vinyl or have plenty of disposable income. It's an expensive hobby. If you put the cost of that turntable towards a better pair of speakers, you could have equal or better sound from lossless music files or CDs that you can play through your receiver vs. vinyl with the cheaper speakers. And CDs are cheaper than new or mint condition records. Then of course you don't have the digital copies of your records to use with other devices, such as mp3 players. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back