Best Trance & Progressive Headphones
Apr 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

i2ehan

Aka: Nightcrawler, Oof Oink
Was flipping items from the classifieds on eBay.
As the title states, based on individual experience(s), what are the best headphones for trance & progressive music (Armin, Tiesto, Andy Moor, Paul Van Dyke, Above & Beyond, etc.)?

Though I'm quite satisfied with my Superlux 669's, I'd really like to hear from others who are just as much fans of trance & progressive. For me, what matters most is the soundstage and bass, as most progressive tracks build up to where you feel that kick. The bass on my 669's isn't quite there, but it's very well balanced.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 31
I have a pair of Ultrasone PRO650's they do it for me, ESPECIALLY in the bass dept
basshead.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 31
that depends on your budget, and how you will you use them.   bar none some of the absolute best headphones you will hear for those genres are "Thunderpants"  they are closed orthos woodies custom modded by "smeggy".  they are considered by many to be the best closed cans currently available, and come up just under LCD 2 for best around.   They are also known for having some of the best bass around in quality and quantity.  Mids and highs are also superb.  You can PM smeggy or check the for sale forums.  They usually sell the day they are put up for sale. 

Last time i checked you can get a pair for around $500 or more depending on the features.  maybe less on the forums.

They are by no means portable, or usable as  DJ cans.  They are LARGE and they require an amp.    This outta get you started - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 31
I'm looking for closed cans, un-amped, at a budget of $200 max. So the "Thunderpants" are definitely out of the picture, for the time being. Within that price range, what's the absolute best for trance & progressive, based on user expereince?

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 31
I wholeheartedly recommend Ultrasones. HFI-780s from what I remember of them have ridiculous amounts of bass, as do the DJ1 Pros. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 31
I have the 780s as well, and my impression is that they have excellent bass, but not massive amounts in terms of quantity.

I've read that the HFI-580 have more quantity and are cheaper.

You should definitely look into Ultrasones, though.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 31
Seems as though Ultrasones are all around infamous for my desired genre, but I'm having a very hard time with distinction of the PRO series vs HFI vs DJ. If it helps to narrow down, I'm almost entirely new to cans, and coming from the IE8 IEM's, I'm looking for excellent soundstage. With regards to bass, however, I'd like something with a "punch" that doesn't at all overpower the highs, mids, or lows. I absolutely hate the "rattling" effect that distorts any of the highs, mids, or lows. So, given that there are many users here with long-time experience and great insight on ultrasones, and based on my said preferences, which ultrasone best fits the description?

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 31
You are pretty much describing the HFI-780 perfectly.  They have a really nice soundstage for closed cans, they have awesome punchy bass that doesn't get in the way, and a nice sound across the rest of the spectrum.

The Pro line tend to be a bit more balanced, but also tend to need a pretty muscular amp to sound their best.  I vastly prefer the HFI-780 to the Pro 750 I used to have.  I hope that helps.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 31
Hmm, before I go ahead and make the jump for the 780's, I've just now burned in my Superlux 669's (my first and only closed cans thus far), and might I say, the soundstage is truly music to my ears! Unfortunately, given my lack of experience, I don't have anything to compare to. So is it fair to assume that the 780's are on a whole another scale, and well worth the "upgrade", or am I better off with my 669's for now?

Not to say that I'm unsatisfied with my 669's, but being a vocalist, and an entry-level audiophile, I'm no different than most here, in that my ears truly appreciate "better" sound, and as subjective as that may be, that's a crave which I, much like you, can never satisfy! :wink:

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 31
Get the Ultrasone PRO 550. They work well with EQs, have stronger bass impact potential than most of the other Ultrasone models other than the Ultrasone HFI 580, and PRO series have much larger soundstage than HFI series.

Hmm, over the 780's? The 2 are very simlar in price range, so, yet again, it's hard for me to distinguish. And if I am to consider the 550 PRO over the 780, what of the 750 PRO? Decisions decisions... :rolleyes:

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 31
From what I'm seeing, is it NOT safe to assume then that the higher up you go in the PRO series (550, 650, 750), the better the SQ? Or is it all too subjective? I figured if I made the jump for the 750 PRO's, I'd in a sense have the best of both the 550 and 650 PRO as well, or am I completely off?

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:
From what I'm seeing, is it NOT safe to assume then that the higher up you go in the PRO series (550, 650, 750), the better the SQ? Or is it all too subjective? I figured if I made the jump for the 750 PRO's, I'd in a sense have the best of both the 550 and 650 PRO as well, or am I completely off?

The 550 is warmer sounding and can get more bass punch. I don't recall which PRO but if you go further up (i think it's brown colored), you can get the bass impact of the 550 and better detail.

The 650 is closer to neutral.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 31
So it appears that I'll only find the extended sondstage I'm after with the PRO series. But deciding between the PRO series is the issue. They are all roughly within my budget, and I'd be willing to spend a bit over, if it's deemed worthy. Surprisingly, there's been very little mention of the DJ1 PROS. Any particular reason why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back