Best Tube Amp for around 1500.00
Oct 15, 2022 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ufanco

500+ Head-Fier
Looking to upgrade my xDuoo TA20 tube amp. Using with sensitive iem so keep that in mind (mest Indigo) if possible balanced output. Considering a wells dragon but there are not many reviews or even much activity on the thread for it.
Open to other suggestions something that uses 12bh7 would be preferred but not stone.

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion I planning on using this with iem with an Impedance: 13.20 and Sensitivity: @1kHz-118dB so not sure if the suggested one will work with my iems.
Leaning toward the wells dragon since it’s hybrid but still looking into other options.

Nov 16, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Ended up going with the Wells Dragon level 1 and extremely happy with it. One of the better purchase towards sound quality I have made.
Amps is builds like a tank and is upgradeable to boot. For iems tube amps normally don’t work well, being a hybrid design I feel is the best option.
Wells Audio might not get much attention being a small company but if looking for an upgradeable great sound tube amp or high-quality dac there's worth checking out.

http://www.wellsaudio.com/dragon

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Awesome amp, but will be terrible with IEMs with low impedance. OTL and low impedance dont match.
I went with a hybrid for that reason, most tube amp don’t work great with iems So kinda limited to hybrid design imho.

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 11
The Cayin HA-3A would have been a good fit.

It would be extremely noisy with IEMs due to not having gain (negative feedback). Also, you need a preamp in between to have decent volume control with sensitive IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back