Best Turntable in the $200-300 range?
Jun 14, 2008 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
So I am looking to purchase a turntable...anyone have any suggestions? Never having one..hopefully some of you knowledgeable people can drop some knowledge and lead me in the right direction. Thanks

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm not sure anything in that range can touch a used Technics SL1200 (and certainly nothing can in terms of build quality), but I'll defer to others who may have heard more tables.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure anything in that range can touch a used Technics SL1200 (and certainly nothing can in terms of build quality), but I'll defer to others who may have heard more tables.

i guess price isnt a huge deal..i just was looking at best buys site and saw theres were ranged around there...looking for something similar...nothing to special but decent enough..i think most listed were had USB capabilities..which isnt a big deal to me...but looks like those are how most the new ones are? maybe i'm looking in the wrong places...really any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

keep in mind..i am a college student..so i dont have lots of money..but if i can find something i like and its reasonable am willing to save up for it.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 10
I'll second a used Technics SL1200. EXCELLENT value for the money.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess price isnt a huge deal..i just was looking at best buys site and saw theres were ranged around there...looking for something similar...nothing to special but decent enough..i think most listed were had USB capabilities..which isnt a big deal to me...but looks like those are how most the new ones are? maybe i'm looking in the wrong places...really any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

keep in mind..i am a college student..so i dont have lots of money..but if i can find something i like and its reasonable am willing to save up for it.

Best Buy isn't where you buy turntables from, and I'd avoid USB turntables. I don't think you can get a decent turntable new for your price range. You can get a used one that's pretty good for less than your price range or, as per my suggestion, right in it. Check craigslist in your area for someone selling a used SL1200.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am looking to purchase a turntable...anyone have any suggestions? Never having one..hopefully some of you knowledgeable people can drop some knowledge and lead me in the right direction. Thanks

$300 is kind of a tough budget without going used but you can get a new Technics 1200/1210 MKII for $400 and you will need to purchase a cartridge on top of that.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 10
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, and I just saved a little more (I'm in college too!) and of course, I don't regret buying my Technics 1200 at all. I love it. It will last forever.

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 10
I see 1200s for between $200 and $300 everyday on craigslist, depending on condition.

Alternatively, (if you're a masochist like me) you'd buy a $25 AR XA and mod the ish out of it. A $200 used arm, and decent cart, and a weekend with sandpaper, paint, and a dremel and you'd have a serious deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back