Best way to solder two wires together?
Jan 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wondering, is there an especially good method used to solder two wires of different gauges together?

By that I mean soldering wires directly to each other, not through a PCB or terminal.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 23
The basic for any solder joint is to have a good mechanical/physical connection before soldering. If it's solid core wire I twist it together and solder. If it's stranded wire I tin it first then twist together because otherwise the heat from the iron will separate the strands of untinned wire and trap air inside the join. Soldering wires together is not great for an audio signal but not so bad for a power conductor as long as your thinner wire is a suitable gauge. Don't make your twist so tight that you're stressing the wire.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 23
Tin stranded wire first, twist together and crimp them with pliers. Then solder them and put heatshrink over the joint.

However, I make a point of never joining two wires this way in my work. Instead, I always use a tie point. Maybe a little overboard, but I don't like unsupported joints, no matter how cleanly made. Every solder joint should be supported by the chassis.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 23
I think you're better off crimping them together with a ferrule. That is a far stronger mechanical bond than any solder joint.

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 23
A NASA technical standard that has splicing on page 82 and on.
NASA Recommended Methods of Splicing

There's a historically interesting debate between the Western Union splice and Bell Systems. Here's the best I could find about it:
Home telephone wiring - dslreports.com
See the 5th post from Splitpair at 2008-10-21 18:41:17

More stuff I found
Soldering Splices
Wire Splicing and Soldering

And one just to show that splices are not created equal, and the wires you're splicing is an important consideration in choosing.
Splices for High Tensile Smooth Fencing Wire

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 23
I was taught to use the western union joint for soldering two wires together. Of course its for solid core wires, but its VERY strong.
32NE0334.GIF

Twist them together according to the pic then add solder.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 23
Creating a mechanical joint makes things much harder to desolder. I usually use the lap splice shown in the NASA thing. If your solder is wetted properly to all surfaces it's plenty strong.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 23
Plenty strong, maybe (look at NASA's tests - the line did not break at the joint, yes, but the force at which it broke was quite a bit lower), but there's isn't a whole lot of contact area going on like in one of the more complicated joints. If it turns out you need to desolder it you can always just cut out the joint and start with fresh ends of the wire, assuming you left a bit of slack.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 23
The fact that when they did break it didn't happen at the solder joint is good enough for me. But, I might be different, I don't put much of any real stress on my wires.

Plus, all of the wires with joints failed lower than untouched wire and the difference between lap and even western union was only 3 pounds. In my opinion, if you're running the wires that close to the breaking point you should really take a look at how you're treating your wires.

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was taught to use the western union joint for soldering two wires together. Of course its for solid core wires, but its VERY strong.
32NE0334.GIF

Twist them together according to the pic then add solder.

This method will look nice under some shrink tubing when your done, no need to tin the wires first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back