Between the Sennheiser 598 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms for video editing
May 7, 2014 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sdshannon

New Head-Fier
Hey there,
 I'm a working video editor and after many years my trusty Sony V700s are toast. Not to mention they crushed my skull for way too long. 

So I do video, not so much for sound mixing unless its a smaller project and the budget doesn't call for a legit mixer. I use M-Audio Bx5's for final mixing and design, however when I'm cutting I prefer headphones.

Basically my biggest concern is comfort..well quality is key but really I have to be able to wear these bad boys for 6-7 hours plus any given session. I have done a bit of research and I think I have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser 598 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms.

I know, I know that the recommended video editing/field headphone are the sony 7506 or the Sennheiser 280 pro's however I have used those for years in other studios or on set, they are just not that comfortable to me and if I was planning on taking my cans out into the field that would be a different story. 

Basically I need something a little more plush, a little less on the gas-saving, economical side of a good honda and a little more cushy,smooth ride like a Caddy. I like the idea of the velour ear pads, that just sounds...amazing. I also want something that will last so spending $200-250 is ok if they are going to last. Sound accuracy is key since I'm dealing with mostly dialogue, I do a TINY bit of gaming but nothing crazy and music wise I'm all over the board from metal to hip hop, to indie rock to radio pop all of it pretty much. 

In terms of what I'll be playing them out of, is my 2013 Mac Pro, I understand that intel HD audio is nothing special and that a headphone amp is the way to go, I would totally look down the road for something like that but at the moment I rather put more into the headphone then eventually get a little amp. My monitors are hooked up to the optical jack of my computer so the headphones will be using the dedicated headphone jack. My set up is pretty quiet, the computer is damn near silent, I will occasionally get the RAID to fire up for a minute but not for long. So i don't think an open back headphone would suffer too much.

Alright, so I think thats all the details. I know this question has been asked before, yes, i did actually read through the forums. However never with the stipulations that I was looking for. The arguments were 90% about pure SQ. So thanks in advance for answering this question again.

BTW I have big head, so don't worry about offending me, I learned at a young age, I have accepted it so if you all think one is better than the other for people with large domes, please do not spare my feelings.

PS, i am open to all headphones so if you guys have a better option for my needs, please fire away!

May 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 16
Same comfort level. the DT has better pads, while the HD has a better headband.
The 770pro have more bass & treble (V shaped FR) - Which might be "fun"/"wow" at first, but fatiguing for long sessions... HD is more neutral.

May 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 16
I've done similar work on semi-open headphones so I can imagine that open headphones wouldn't be an issue. However I've tried the 770 and a lot of other beyerdynamics, they are like head-slippers - I'm a fellow big head as well..
redface.gif

Also as they're closed they might be more versatile for work if needed for monitoring, whereas the open 598s would be more versatile for home - it depends whether you can see yourself enjoying the open 598 sound whilst relaxing.

May 7, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 16
  Hey there,
 I'm a working video editor and after many years my trusty Sony V700s are toast. Not to mention they crushed my skull for way too long. 

So I do video, not so much for sound mixing unless its a smaller project and the budget doesn't call for a legit mixer. I use M-Audio Bx5's for final mixing and design, however when I'm cutting I prefer headphones.

Basically my biggest concern is comfort..well quality is key but really I have to be able to wear these bad boys for 6-7 hours plus any given session. I have done a bit of research and I think I have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser 598 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms.

I know, I know that the recommended video editing/field headphone are the sony 7506 or the Sennheiser 280 pro's however I have used those for years in other studios or on set, they are just not that comfortable to me and if I was planning on taking my cans out into the field that would be a different story. 

Basically I need something a little more plush, a little less on the gas-saving, economical side of a good honda and a little more cushy,smooth ride like a Caddy. I like the idea of the velour ear pads, that just sounds...amazing. I also want something that will last so spending $200-250 is ok if they are going to last. Sound accuracy is key since I'm dealing with mostly dialogue, I do a TINY bit of gaming but nothing crazy and music wise I'm all over the board from metal to hip hop, to indie rock to radio pop all of it pretty much. 

In terms of what I'll be playing them out of, is my 2013 Mac Pro, I understand that intel HD audio is nothing special and that a headphone amp is the way to go, I would totally look down the road for something like that but at the moment I rather put more into the headphone then eventually get a little amp. My monitors are hooked up to the optical jack of my computer so the headphones will be using the dedicated headphone jack. My set up is pretty quiet, the computer is damn near silent, I will occasionally get the RAID to fire up for a minute but not for long. So i don't think an open back headphone would suffer too much.

Alright, so I think thats all the details. I know this question has been asked before, yes, i did actually read through the forums. However never with the stipulations that I was looking for. The arguments were 90% about pure SQ. So thanks in advance for answering this question again.

BTW I have big head, so don't worry about offending me, I learned at a young age, I have accepted it so if you all think one is better than the other for people with large domes, please do not spare my feelings.

PS, i am open to all headphones so if you guys have a better option for my needs, please fire away!

I would pick HD598 due to their more neutral presentation (the general consensus is that this are also a bit easier to drive).

May 9, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 16
598 are more neutral, open back will also be nicer on your ears for long sessions (free to breathe more easily).

May 9, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 16
I've had both, for movie, I'd go w the DT770 for sure. DT770 has much better bass impact and much clearer vocals, great for movies.

May 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 16
I've had both, for movie, I'd go w the DT770 for sure. DT770 has much better bass impact and much clearer vocals, great for movies.

He wants them for video editing, not for video watching

May 10, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to go with the Senns. I really appreciate it.

The Sennheiser HD558s use the same driver as the HD598.
But the HD558s come with black rubber tape on the insides of the cups that covers around 40% of the air holes.
So buy some used HD558 ($110 to $115 on Amazon) and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s.
So your getting almost the same quality quality of the HD598s, but for a lot less money.

May 10, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 16
  Are they just as comfortable? Thats a huge part of considering both of these sets.

My HD558s are comfortable enough foe me.
Technically the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm might be considered more comfortable, but they are too bassy for use with editing.
I'm assuming your doing audio adjustments to the videos your are editing?

May 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 16

My HD558s are comfortable enough foe me.
Technically the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm might be considered more comfortable, but they are too bassy for use with editing.
I'm assuming your doing audio adjustments to the videos your are editing?

Yeah light audio editing but mostly just for monitoring purposes, so long periods of listening to the same lines being delivered or the same guitar solo (music video) so comfort is pretty key. Fatigue physically and mentally is a big concern. If I have to do a mix I do use actual studio monitors. 

May 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 16
My GF owns DTs and she is loving it, HOWEVER i am unable to wear it for longer than few hours because it feels like they are squeezing my head. In fact i am feeling uncomfortable every after half an hour.

So i guess if you are feeling like you have a rather big head you might want to consider trying it out first. Maybe ask a friend who got those? — i feel like those DTs are super popular. And thats for a reason, they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back