Beyer DT 880, 990
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

charlie875578

Head-Fier
I always see these brought up for great all arounders. This always intrigues me because their price is pretty cheap ("cheap"). But I never buy them because they look to "industrial" to me. The 990's look like the ear cups are big aluminum vents; like something people in a factory would wear. Does this make any sense? A lot of people seem to think they look great. Is it just the pictures that make them look this way. If I could get over the looks I would love to pick these up over HD600's or HiFi 400's. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I always see these brought up for great all arounders. This always intrigues me because their price is pretty cheap ("cheap"). But I never buy them because they look to "industrial" to me. The 990's look like the ear cups are big aluminum vents; like something people in a factory would wear. Does this make any sense? A lot of people seem to think they look great. Is it just the pictures that make them look this way. If I could get over the looks I would love to pick these up over HD600's or HiFi 400's. 

It doesn't to me, but then I care little about the look of a can, especially an open or semi-open one that will used nearly 100% of the time at home.

The 880 is the best all arounder because it both excellent and close to neutral (it's a bit brighter than neutral).  The 990 is liked by many, especially by those who favor extra bass, while not going into basshead territory.  However, its recessed mids make it not as good for all types of music and voice.

BTW--the HD 600 and HE 400 are very good too and in the neutral or neutral-ish ballpark.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 6
^^

Agreed.

Also, while people on head-fi can help you on building a good audio setup for sound quality, choosing based on design aesthetics of a headphone are a decision you have to make entirely on your own. I just don't think anyone can help you with this. :)

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 6
I've always said I won't pick a headphone based solely off looks. I suppose it's because I've never been able to listen to them, I have a harder time buying something which I haven't heard and find to look unappealing to me. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 6
The DT880s are a better all around headphone, the DT990 is good if you like the "movie theater" like sound.

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 6
So, it's looks that we should be interested in for good cans... certainly not sound.

That's about as crazy as it gets. But, I can tell you from one who has had the Senn HD-800's and 4 HiFiman ortho's, among a number of others, and the Beyer 880/600ohm cans can stand in there with the best. It's not perfect, but neither is the high priced HD-800's, but those that you think are ugly to look at sure do make good music when driven by good dac and amp like my Bifrost with Uber upgrade and Lyr with the right tubes.

Are you afraid that someone will make your picture with those ugly cans on your head? Hey, looks are only skin or aluminum deep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back