Beyer DT 880 vs AKG Q701 vs ATH-AD900X vs Grado 225i
Jun 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dhaze579

New Head-Fier
So, I'm looking to buy another step up from my DT990s, and so far there are these four in question, all around the same price range. I loved the sound of the DT990s, but the mids were perhaps a bit recessed and the treble slightly bright. I listen mainly to electro, but acoustic here and there as well as some metal. I'm a huge music enthusiast, so I'd like as much clarity as possible. I don't have a dedicated amp, but I do have a Xonar DG which can push my 250 ohm DT990s up to a decently ear-splitting level.

How do these headphones fare in comparison? It seems like the AKGs or the Beyers are the top dogs.

Also, as a side note, how the hell do I start a new thread in the "For Sale" section? I'd like to sell my XPT100s (Brainwavz HM5).

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:
So, I'm looking to buy another step up from my DT990s, and so far there are these four in question, all around the same price range. I loved the sound of the DT990s, but the mids were perhaps a bit recessed and the treble slightly bright. I listen mainly to electro, but acoustic here and there as well as some metal. I'm a huge music enthusiast, so I'd like as much clarity as possible. I don't have a dedicated amp, but I do have a Xonar DG which can push my 250 ohm DT990s up to a decently ear-splitting level.

How do these headphones fare in comparison? It seems like the AKGs or the Beyers are the top dogs.

Also, as a side note, how the hell do I start a new thread in the "For Sale" section? I'd like to sell my XPT100s (Brainwavz HM5).

Thanks!

I don't think(purely sq wise) 880 is an upgrade. Q701 also has bright treble but with little bass. AD900x is warm and smooth. Grado also has piercing treble. I personally like audio technica for their smoothness. I feel like AD900x is a good side step to take from more exciting DT990. 

You cannot start a "For Sale" tread until you become a head-fier.(you are a junior head-fier). Go lurk around head-fi and post comments, opinions, and more, and you will become a head-fier very quickly.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 25
Alright, cool. I think I'll go ahead and jump on the AD900X. I hear they're quite easy to drive as well, which is good considering I have rather weak amplification. Thank you!

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't think I've ever heard the AD900X called warm.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 25
Honestly, the first time I listened to the Q701s, I felt I was rediscovering all of the music I love with its ridiculously well detailed and encompassing soundstage. These were run through a measly Xonar DG for an amp. After further listening, I discovered the headphones had some parasitic buzzing in the right driver as though they'd been dropped or damaged, so I returned them. Also, it seemed that after the first day of listening to them, they'd become a bit flat and unexciting. I don't know why this happened...

I now have around $450 dollars to blow on headphones, and probably an amp to go with them. I don't know whether or not to buy the Q701s again and get a Schiit Magni, or get the HD600s and the Magni (or some DT880s or some STAX or whatever else there is).

I guess this is a bump, but the title is a bit misleading.

EDIT: And why in the hell are the HD600s 400 bucks when they were 300 or so not too long ago?

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
Honestly, the first time I listened to the Q701s, I felt I was rediscovering all of the music I love with its ridiculously well detailed and encompassing soundstage. These were run through a measly Xonar DG for an amp. After further listening, I discovered the headphones had some parasitic buzzing in the right driver as though they'd been dropped or damaged, so I returned them. Also, it seemed that after the first day of listening to them, they'd become a bit flat and unexciting. I don't know why this happened...

I now have around $450 dollars to blow on headphones, and probably an amp to go with them. I don't know whether or not to buy the Q701s again and get a Schiit Magni, or get the HD600s and the Magni (or some DT880s or some STAX or whatever else there is).

I guess this is a bump, but the title is a bit misleading.

EDIT: And why in the hell are the HD600s 400 bucks when they were 300 or so not too long ago?

Well, I guess you don't like flat sound sig. Anyways, I would buy something else if you didn't like the Q701. However, if you found the Q701 laid back, HD600 and 650 are even more laid back. 

HD600 for $400? WTH? I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere in the online world(hint: Google)

Jun 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 25
Yeah, I'm not really sure why it's priced so high now! I can only find b and h photo and amazon prices to go buy, but if you think you know a better site, please do help!

I think I'll get the HD600s, though... Also, the headband on the Q701 reeeeeally hurts! I'm just getting over the pain it caused from sitting on my head.

I'll post back and let you know my impressions of the cans I decide to buy.

EDIT: Actually, the HE-400s look like a MUCH better buy for 400 bucks than the HD600s... I'll probably end up getting those...

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 25
Have you thought about the K702 65th Anniversary Edition or the K712 Pro? These are warmer signatures than the standard Q701 and the headband comfort issues are completely addressed.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 25
I have heard of the K702 Anniversary Edition, but not the Pros. The Pros are said to retail for well over 400, and the Ann. Ed. is almost 400 dollars as well!

I think that if I want to invest heavily into a headphone, it would be one with planar drivers, like in the HE400. The reason is that those drivers are said to reproduce all genres of music well... at least, people claim they do. Plus, if I buy an AKG, I'll have to fork another hundred eventually for a better amp, while the HE400s are touted to sound great with a small amp.

I'm still not sure what I'll end up getting, but the HE400s look pretty sexy atm.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #14 of 25
I also have 400 dollars to spend on a headset and it's turned out to be a real predicament. The only professional tier headset I ever had was the V Moda Crossfade LP2. This headset was very bass heavy which sometimes dulled out the other parts of the music. I'm not sure if I want to stick with more "fun", bass oriented headphones or try a more audiophile headset with a detailed, reference sound.

Sorry if this did not help but I felt like sharing this.

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 25
I also have 400 dollars to spend on a headset and it's turned out to be a real predicament. The only professional tier headset I ever had was the V Moda Crossfade LP2. This headset was very bass heavy which sometimes dulled out the other parts of the music. I'm not sure if I want to stick with more "fun", bass oriented headphones or try a more audiophile headset with a detailed, reference sound.

Sorry if this did not help but I felt like sharing this.

I would recommend the DT990 for a more fun headphone if you decide to go that route. They have really exciting sound and a roomy stage for it so it doesn't seem to bunched together. Also, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

You could get the pros for 199 off of amazon or buy the premiums for more. They have impressive sound for the value, and you could always return them if you don't think they cater to your tastes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back