Beyer DT880 vs Beyer DT990 vs Ath-AD900 vs AKG ??!!??!
May 13, 2008 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tml09

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I just recently joined Head-Fi, but I have been lurking here for quite a while. I just got into this "hi fidelity sound" stuff. I bought a pair of ATH-AD700s a while ago and I love them. The problem is they have very little bass to speak of. I am looking for a headphone with a very good soundstage and a good bass response.

I like the AD700's and I know I will like the AD900s, but is there a better option? I have been looking at the DT880 and I have seen mixed opinions about it, but it seems that everyone likes its soundstage. I researched a little more and found some info about AKG headphones (namely the K601 and K701) and how they have a good soundstage as well.

Could anyone with expeirence with any of these headphones tell me their opinons?

The most important qualities I am looking for: Soundstage, then bass response. I have a budget of around $280. Thank you guys!

May 13, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 9
AD900 isn't going to give you different sound, just slight (very slight) improvements everywhere.

AKG K701 and DT880 doesn't overpower you with bass IMO.
I should mention all those listed (except ATH-AD900) needs a dedicated amp.

May 13, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 9
^ Yes, I know about the amp. I'm debating whether to get the HeadAmp Pico or the Meier 2move amp, but i'm leaning towards getting the Pico.

I don't want to be "overpowered" with bass, just a better-than-basic response. I'm not what would be called a "basshead", but I like a little kick to my music. What do you think about the soundstage of the DT880/DT990 and the AKG 701. I don't think I'll be getting the AD900 if it is only "slight" improvements.

May 13, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 9
I highly recommend that you get a dedicated home amp instead - unless you're looking to use those full sized cans outside.

Grab a gilmore lite instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tml09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yes, I know about the amp. I'm debating whether to get the HeadAmp Pico or the Meier 2move amp, but i'm leaning towards getting the Pico.

I don't want to be "overpowered" with bass, just a better-than-basic response. I'm not what would be called a "basshead", but I like a little kick to my music. What do you think about the soundstage of the DT880/DT990 and the AKG 701. I don't think I'll be getting the AD900 if it is only "slight" improvements.

The K701 has a bigger soundstage than the DT880/DT990. The DT990 has a bigger soundstage than the DT880 though. A good in between is the DT990 IMHO. I like the bass and soundstage and I'm not a basshead as well. But to make the DT990 shine I would get an amp. I have the Pico with DAC and it was the best portable amp I've heard to date. But, my dedicated SS amp like the HP100 drove the DT990 better for the tighter bass response and soundstaging. Like Rednamalas1 mentioned I would get a home amp if you are going to use those cans in one area and not being used for portability. Although I haven't heard a GS-lite with DPS, I would really consider it as Justin makes great amps and the Pico is no exception
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 9
So, the DT990 would be a better choice? I heard that the AKG 701 has the largest soundstage but is more "artificial". And what would be the best home amp for around $300. I am killing my wallet as it is :)

Are there home amps with 3.5 mm to 3.5mm. That is why I looked for a portable amp, because they have a 3.5mm input and 3.5mm output. I didn't see any home amps like that (in my 2 minute search that is :) )

I am defintly not going to listen to music on the go, but I don't know of any home amps that have what I am looking for. Are there any with 3.5mm in and out for around $300? Thanks again.

May 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tml09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the DT990 would be a better choice? I heard that the AKG 701 has the largest soundstage but is more "artificial". And what would be the best home amp for around $300. I am killing my wallet as it is :)

Are there home amps with 3.5 mm to 3.5mm. That is why I looked for a portable amp, because they have a 3.5mm input and 3.5mm output. I didn't see any home amps like that (in my 2 minute search that is :) )

I am defintly not going to listen to music on the go, but I don't know of any home amps that have what I am looking for. Are there any with 3.5mm in and out for around $300? Thanks again.

Is there any particular reason you need 3.5mm inputs and outputs? You can always use 3.5mm to RCA cables for input, and 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters for output.

May 14, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any particular reason you need 3.5mm inputs and outputs? You can always use 3.5mm to RCA cables for input, and 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters for output.

X2 on this and thanks for asking the question tonsosnot
smily_headphones1.gif

I like all of them that I mentioned, but they all have their different strengths. The DT990 is the best in the middle ground in regards to soundstage and bass. The K701 does sound artificial to me at times, and that was why I sold mine in the first go around. Now that I've owned them a second time with different equipment I do enjoy them and accept them for what my ears hear which is a big and fun soundstage. They aren't the most natural sounding can for instruments IMHO, but I do enjoy them because of their soundstage and imaging. The DT990 has good bass response, excellent highs and more recessed mids. Again, I found these performed better with a good amp. I would say try and look into a GS-lite without the DPS. I would do a search on that to see what others have experienced with that amp with and without the DPS. It is a highly regarded SS amp around here in that price range. There are also tube amps as well. Unfortunately I'm not familiar as I would like to be with amps around the $300 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back