Beyer T1 vs ATH W1000x vs Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium vs D7000 comparisons coming shortly..
Jun 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

dasmodul

100+ Head-Fier
Okay guys. This is my first ever 'review' so excuse me if I don't use a lot of the usual head-fi lingo going on here.
First I would like to state a few opinions before I go into the gear. In my experience, music and equipment  preferences are highly subjective to personal taste and mood.  The songs I chose to test with are 5 songs from different genres. Why these particular ones? Well because that’s what I’ve had on repeat the last few weeks so I know all the little details of them by heart so I can discern differences more efficiently and accurately.
All the songs are in .FLAC format ripped with EAC at highest quality and lowest speed running through J.R. Media Center in WASAPI, at 1am when everyone is asleep in a very quiet room, all lights off (I’ve noticed hearing is more sensitive with visual stimuli are eliminated or significantly reduced).

Tracks Used (And minor comments while I was listening and switching back and forth):
Kanye West/Katy Perry – “E.T” [Dance/Hip-Hop..clean recording, nice sub-bass and vocal clarity]
                *W1000x – Great tight bass with kick, superb mids and vocals.
                *Ed8 –Tighter bass. Very controlled and detailed. Vocals/highs more detailed and forward.
                *D7000 – Bass least punch out of closed cans. Very nice detail on highs and vocals.
               * T1 – Good bass. Least kick. Superb imaging and detail on vocals and highs.

Kansas – “Dust In The Wind” [Classic Rock…great for vocals, details on acoustic guitar]
                *W1000x – Great resonance of guitar. Soft, smooth vocals. Bass envelopes. Slight boom.
                *Ed8 – Much higher detail on guitar. Better imaging. Vocals a lot more clear. No boom.
                *D7000 – Awesome vocals. Bass has least kick. Also a bit boomy. Less than W1000x
               * T1 – Stunning clarity in vocals and guitar. Imaging is beyond any of closed backs. No comparison between this and other models.

Two Steps From Hell – “Freedom Fighters” [Epic Symphony…grand, powerful, orchestral sounds with operatic chants]
                *W1000x – Superb imaging, mid-biased chants and highs
                *Ed8 – Superb, powerful bass. Controlled and like 12” subwoofer, slightly boomy. Great imaging. Detailed chants and highs.
                *D7000 – Great imaging. Best out of closed cans. Deep bass without being boomy. Highs and vocals not as detailed as Ed8 but about even with W1000x.
               * T1 -- Peerless imaging and resolution in chants and highs.  No powerful shaking bass, but yet just as effective in conjuring grandness.  Lucid, clear sound. Incredible.

Alice In Videoland – “Take Me With You” [Electronic/Pop…mule-like drum kicks, rock vocals and guitar]
                *W1000x – Great bass. Neutral highs, a little boomy base
                *Ed8 – Awesome bass. Nice kick. Lot less boomy, better imaging. Slight forward highs.
                *D7000 – Awesome vocals. Bass has least kick. Also a bit boomy. Less than W1000x
                * T1 – Superb imaging. Suprising kick for open can bass. Vocals extremely detailed and smooth.

Sunidhi Chauhan– “Aa Tayar Hoja” [Bollywood …amazing female vocals with clarity. Ethnic drums and instruments]
                *W1000x – Superb resonance on drums. Great imaging and smooth vocals. Great sense of grandness on choir background.
                *Ed8 – Superb imaging. Best of closed cans. Extreme detail on vocals and highs. Drum kick just as good if not slightly tighter than W1000x. Finger snaps very detailed.
                *D7000 – Very good detail on vocals. Drums do not have the kick of other closed cans. Slightly boomy.
               * T1 – Superb imaging. Excellent detail on ethnic drums and vocals.

Now I was thinking of how to compare these headphones other than by verbose methods, and a relative rating system came to mind. I will rate the quality of (1-lowest , 9-highest relative to each other):
  1. Bass-Ambient = Low hip/hop bass, or boom of a symphony orchestra.  Goal is deep and no distortion.
  2. Bass-Kick = Rock drum kicks, dance bassline kicks. Goal is to be clean, tight and high SPL so you feel it without distortion.
  3. Vocals = Self-explanatory. Goal is clean, smooth and detailed vocals.
  4.  Acoustics = These are what I consider natural sounds. Wooden instruments like guitars, violins, ethnic drums, etc. How realistic and natural do they sound is the goal.
  5. Overall Musicality = Sometimes individual parts don’t make a great driver. This is how it all sounds together. Does it make you wanna tap your toes to rock, daydream with classical? Etc.

Overall Ratings with Single-Ended/Concerto/DACMagic Combo:

Beyerdynamic T1
                Bass Ambient = 6
                Bass Kick = 6
                Vocals = 9
                Acoustics  = 9
                Overall Musicality = 9
                Comfort  = 9 (Time before irritation around ears – 4.5hrs)

Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium
                Bass Ambient = 9
                Bass Kick = 9
                Vocals = 8
                Acoustics  = 7
                Overall Musicality = 9
                Comfort  = 7 (Time before irritation around ears – 3hrs)

Audio Technica W1000x (Purr-Modded)
                Bass Ambient = 8
                Bass Kick = 8
                Vocals = 8
                Acoustics  = 8
                Overall Musicality = 8
                Comfort  = 6 (Time before irritation around ears – 1.5-2hrs)

Denon D7000
                Bass Ambient =7
                Bass Kick = 6
                Vocals = 7
                Acoustics  = 9
                Overall Musicality = 8
                Comfort  = 8 (Time before irritation around ears – 4hrs)

Final Thoughts ---
These ratings are relative and other than some minor comfort issues due to the shallow earpad depth of the W1000x headphones it should be noted that although relative to each other in A/B testing these models have strengths and weaknesses compared to each other, when listened to individually for a long duration as I made sure to do with each, they are all simply superb. I was taken away by every single one of them in pure musicality and aural pleasure. Another point I should make is that the T1’s really need a LOT of power to run them. Even on high gain the volume knob has to go to about 10 o’clock to match the other phones at around 8 o’clock. And that is one thing I noticed about the Edition 8s. Although their impedance rating is low, on low gain they were barely audible on the Concerto, but on high gain you have to be very careful as they get super loud. Made me wish the gain switch had 3 settings. Since The ED8 proved power hungry, I’m going to try just it and the T1 since they were the closest competitors for me overall on my Zana Deux Transformer and see how they stack.   Hope this review gives people at least an idea of how these headphones compare relative to each other in deciding how to invest the tons of cash necessary for these beauties.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 69
Subscribed. The W1000x are my first serious set of cans (it somehow feels wrong referring to something so beautiful as "cans") and I'm interested to see how they stack up against the flagships. Good to see you've done Purrin's dampening mod too, I tried it myself and liked the results, although I eventually went further and also did the F5005 mod.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 69
Subscribed too.  Loved to hear how the T1 and the D7000 compares to the W1000x.  

I'm eyeing the T1 as my next "upgrade", I've heard the D5000 but wasn't impressed but still interested in how the D7000 stacks up against the W1000x.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 69

Quote:
only curious about W1000X vs D7000 :D

I owned both and the D7000 remain. The w1000X is more forward has less bass impact and iMO the treble is not as good as the D7000. The cups are pretty on the W1000X but in the end I thought the D7000 was a big step up over the 1000X. If you like treble extension the D7000 is as good as it gets. Bass is more extended also. For me it was an easy decision I much preferred the D7000

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 69

Quote:
Subscribed too.  Loved to hear how the T1 and the D7000 compares to the W1000x.  

I'm eyeing the T1 as my next "upgrade", I've heard the D5000 but wasn't impressed but still interested in how the D7000 stacks up against the W1000x.

The t1 is the best open dynamic can I have heard. It has the most transparency with inner detail and the AT W1000X is not playing in the same game. The D7000 is closed and the T1 open with larger sound stage and more transparency and it images better that any headphone I have heard to date. It the only one I have regretted selling.

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 69
unfortunetly I never like any Denon I've tried, from IEM, till full size D-Series (except D1001 and D7000)

I've read some comparison about them, some says D7000 is better, some says W1000X is better, some says they at the same level but just different.

so yeah, I always curious to all topic about comparison W1000X and D7000 till I can get myself to try D7000 :D

btw, thx for your short comparison Frank :)

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 69
I expect the T1 to be better technically in every way to the W1000x, what I'm interested is a point of reference in the sound signature which would help me decide whether I would like its sound or not.  Recently I think I've been going through a transitional period from going for the most neutral sound as possible in my setup to a slight colouration sound with just a very slight U shape frequency response with more emphasis on the treble (not full on "fun cans" yet though) so that reference point is important to me.

As for the D7000 again looking for a point of reference.  My impression of the D5000 is that it's bass is too boomy and over powers the other frequencies and if the D7000 is anything like that in its general sound signature I wouldn't care for it and would stick with the W1000x.  I mean if you look at my list of cans (W1000x, K701, Westones IEMs) you should be able to tell that bass impact is hardly a top priority on my list of qualities I look for in my headphone sounds.   
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 69
Looking forward to the Edition 8 Palladium ~ Subscribed! Somebody lend this man the PS1000~

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 69
Having owned all of these cans (except for extensive listening sessions with the W1000X), my rankings would be T1>Ed. 8 > D7000 >> W1000X

Just my two cents....looking forward to your thoughts. :smile:

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #12 of 69
Okay, original post edited with review. Have fun reading.

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 69
I am pretty sure I am the only person left on earth who actually cares about soundstage....anyone have any idea how damned hard it is to find reviews that include soundstage qualities.  Sigh...its very stressful

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 69
Fascinating read, especially in regards to the bass ambient and kick of the W1000x compared with the others.  The T1 sounds like something that I would definitely like to try out and even the D7000 seems to be different enough its smaller sibling that might warrant a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back