Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Nov 26, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #976 of 2,669
Are the Amiron the new Treble King?

In terms of quality it's definitely amazing treble wise. If we are talking bright but very smooth, non-harsh, and non-fatiguing it's definitely a treble lovers delight.

Sometimes you gotta laugh at headphone reviews and impressions. MrTechAgent says that the Amiron is the "most interesting headphone in many years...It sounds incredible...The greatest headphone launched in a very long time. A very big accomplishment for beyerdynamic."

Wow, right? And this is a guy who knows his headphones. Now look at Metal571's assessment:

"Way overpriced at $599. It could be priced at $199 and I still wouldn't buy it...I don't see the need for this headphone to exist...The sound is really not quite there. An odd mix of warm mids, sort of leanish bass that is not very well defined, and sharp powerful treble."

Ha, ha. Is it the greatest or the worst? But it gets better. Metal571 has more to say about the treble:

"seriously bright. There are prominent peaks...It's really crazy...Just really aggressive peaks in the treble...Very hard to listen to...Super bright and not particularly well defined."

But then you turn to Hi-Fi Insider:

"It's not fatiguing at all. If you're sensitive to treble, the Amiron is definitely your guy. It is not bright or treble-peaky at all...[yet still] detailed."

You can't make this stuff up: it sucks, no it's great, it has treble that will split your eardrums, wrong it has super smooth treble, the treble is not detailed, yes it has great detail.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #977 of 2,669
Sometimes you gotta laugh at headphone reviews and impressions. MrTechAgent says that the Amiron is the "most interesting headphone in many years...It sounds incredible...The greatest headphone launched in a very long time. A very big accomplishment for beyerdynamic."

Wow, right? And this is a guy who knows his headphones. Now look at Metal571's assessment:

"Way overpriced at $599. It could be priced at $199 and I still wouldn't buy it...I don't see the need for this headphone to exist...The sound is really not quite there. An odd mix of warm mids, sort of leanish bass that is not very well defined, and sharp powerful treble."

Ha, ha. Is it the greatest or the worst? But it gets better. Metal571 has more to say about the treble:

"seriously bright. There are prominent peaks...It's really crazy...Just really aggressive peaks in the treble...Very hard to listen to...Super bright and not particularly well defined."

But then you turn to Hi-Fi Insider:

"It's not fatiguing at all. If you're sensitive to treble, the Amiron is definitely your guy. It is not bright or treble-peaky at all...[yet still] detailed."

You can't make this stuff up: it sucks, no it's great, it has treble that will split your eardrums, wrong it has super smooth treble, the treble is not detailed, yes it has great detail.
I think Metal571 had a bad unit. He mentioned in his other videos because his viewers told him that their own Amiron didn't had those treble spikes.
Even at Amazon user reviews, All of the buyers said it has smoother treble.

Nov 27, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #978 of 2,669
I think Metal571 had a bad unit. He mentioned in his other videos because his viewers told him that their own Amiron didn't had those treble spikes.
Even at Amazon user reviews, All of the buyers said it has smoother treble.

I would agree, no treble spikes like the T90. The Amiron has well presented and well defined treble that is not bright or in your face but still there and well extended.
It's a wonderful headphone and I wish more people would listen to them to make up their own opinion

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #979 of 2,669
This is my late comparison with the Amirons and 1990s. Amiron's had a more laid back, recessed and distant upper mids/highs. If you raise the volume too much, you do get some piercing highs imo despite the supposed dampening they added. Amiron was definitely more comfortable with a softer feel and looser clamp. As these headphones are intended to be laid back, I wouldn't recommend the Amirons if you're listening to energetic songs with vocals like in jpop, or even edm for that matter, but it was decent for a laid back sound experience with a great soundstage and detail. Beyer upfront advertised that the Amirons were successors to the T90s with "additional fabric in front", so you would need to keep that in mind.

Hi, laid back and recess is the first impression when i come up with amiron home.
But after change to balance, it has turn out better, better sound stage, better clarity and detail but it is still more up front and less resolution at vocal representation compared to HD800

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #981 of 2,669
Honestly the Amiron and DT 1990 are hidden gems. I honestly have no idea why they aren't more popular. I do get the feeling they will slowly gain popularity.
That was written in February. It is now almost a year later. Has the Amiron gained popularity? The reviews were impressive, supposedly one of Beyerdynamics best headphones. Is it really? Or was it hype? From what I read about them, even $599 seemed like a reasonable price when you matched them up against other similarly priced headphones.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #982 of 2,669
That was written in February. It is now almost a year later. Has the Amiron gained popularity? The reviews were impressive, supposedly one of Beyerdynamics best headphones. Is it really? Or was it hype? From what I read about them, even $599 seemed like a reasonable price when you matched them up against other similarly priced headphones.

Doesn’t seem like they really gained any popularity sadly. But even after almost a year the Amiron has been the single most satisfying headphone I’ve ever owned and I’ve never gotten sick of its sound, it just sounds so right. I usually grow bored of a headphone and let it go, not the case with the Amiron.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #983 of 2,669
I have not watched that review. However I have a pair and around 6 other mid priced phones. The Amiron is my favorite and does things for the music I listen to that my hd 650 just cannot do. I do think they are overlooked which is a shame. From what I see most people have a preconceived notion on what they think they sound like (bright harsh) and just ignore even trying them. There is another forum that the leader just bashes anything Beyer because they do not measure to his standards and his disciples follow suit. It's sad people are not more independent and able to try products and decide for themselves.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #984 of 2,669
I have not watched that review. However I have a pair and around 6 other mid priced phones. The Amiron is my favorite and does things for the music I listen to that my hd 650 just cannot do. I do think they are overlooked which is a shame. From what I see most people have a preconceived notion on what they think they sound like (bright harsh) and just ignore even trying them. There is another forum that the leader just bashes anything Beyer because they do not measure to his standards and his disciples follow suit. It's sad people are not more independent and able to try products and decide for themselves.

In what ways do you find the Amiron's are more likely to be picked up vs the 650's?

I've been reading a lot of reviews and the Amirons seems like an excellent hp all around but not popular for whatever reason, I'm looking into these, or the 660's for an open all rounder just haven't had the chance to try either yet.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #985 of 2,669
In what ways do you find the Amiron's are more likely to be picked up vs the 650's?

I've been reading a lot of reviews and the Amirons seems like an excellent hp all around but not popular for whatever reason, I'm looking into these, or the 660's for an open all rounder just haven't had the chance to try either yet.

I'm in the same disquisition right now...

Maybe I'll end trying both from Amazon and keep the one I like the most.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #986 of 2,669

Let us know if you end up doing that. I had the HD650 and can tell you that to me it seemed smooth to the point where there was no texture to the sound. I also found the sound stage kind of crowded, not so much for songs but for orchestral music, which I listen to a lot.

Anybody care to venture to say what they think of the Amiron with classical music?

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #987 of 2,669

Curious which you would prefer out of the two. A good friend of mine who has both prefers the Amiron over the HD 660S. I only heard the new Senns briefly so don't know for sure. I do know I like the Amiron more than the HD 600 and HD 650 and I'm very familiar with both the HD 600 and HD 650 having owned both more than once.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #988 of 2,669
Let us know if you end up doing that. I had the HD650 and can tell you that to me it seemed smooth to the point where there was no texture to the sound. I also found the sound stage kind of crowded, not so much for songs but for orchestral music, which I listen to a lot.

Anybody care to venture to say what they think of the Amiron with classical music?

I listen to classic musical too, so I'll let you know.

The DT 1990 is already good for classical, tons of energy and treble detail, especially with the analytical pads, and the soundstage improves a lot comparing with the balanced pads, but at low listening volumes is somewhat dull and boring, these really shine with high volumes and dynamic music, such as Vivaldi concertos.

Never heard the HD 600/650, but the Beyers are better technically wise and overall superior for classical mussic (in the absence of trying the Amirons). Indeed, of the trio (AKG K701, Beyers DT770/880/990, Senns HD 600/650) I think the HD 650 is the less capable headphone for classical music overall due their sound profile and soundstage extension.

Curious which you would prefer out of the two. A good friend of mine who has both prefers the Amiron over the HD 660S. I only heard the new Senns briefly so don't know for sure. I do know I like the Amiron more than the HD 600 and HD 650 and I'm very familiar with both the HD 600 and HD 650 having owned both more than once.

I fell in love with the design and sturdy bomb-proof quality of the DT 1990. As my first Beyerdynamic set of headphones, I really like the company's approach in that regard, way above than Sennheiser and AKG, but honestly I prefer the form factor of the HD 500/600 series after trying the HD 569 (closed version of the HD 598) for comfort matters.

Anyway, I'll give the Amiron a chance after I manage how to return the DT 1990 to Amazon Italy, maybe the lesser clamping force and the more relaxed profile (yet detailed and open-sound) is all what I need, despite the rounded shape cups, who knows!

Hope to try the HD 660 S too and post my impressions, I really like what I've read about them.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #989 of 2,669
I fell in love with the design and sturdy bomb-proof quality of the DT 1990. As my first Beyerdynamic set of headphones, I really like the company's approach in that regard, way above than Sennheiser and AKG, but honestly I prefer the form factor of the HD 500/600 series after trying the HD 569 (closed version of the HD 598) for comfort matters.

Anyway, I'll give the Amiron a chance after I manage how to return the DT 1990 to Amazon Italy, maybe the lesser clamping force and the more relaxed profile (yet detailed and open-sound) is all what I need, despite the rounded shape cups, who knows!

Hope to try the HD 660 S too and post my impressions, I really like what I've read about them.

You may be a little disappointed with the build on the Amiron coming from the DT 1990, it doesn't have that bomb-proof feel, it's floppier and looser feeling in the hand and doesn't feel as robust, but the actual build quality is better than first impression may let on. The Senns feel a bit cheap compared to either Beyer, the Senns are durable though.

It's worth trying both, the Amiron is more relaxed and fluid sounding than the DT 1990 but you can hear the similarities between the two. I only heard the HD 660S briefly, did like what little I heard. Very nicely balanced sound and better dynamics than the old HD 600/650.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #990 of 2,669
You may be a little disappointed with the build on the Amiron coming from the DT 1990, it doesn't have that bomb-proof feel, it's floppier and looser feeling in the hand and doesn't feel as robust, but the actual build quality is better than first impression may let on. The Senns feel a bit cheap compared to either Beyer, the Senns are durable though.

It's worth trying both, the Amiron is more relaxed sounding than the DT 1990 but you can hear the similarities between the two. I only heard the HD 660S briefly, did like what little I heard. Very nicely balanced sound and better dynamics than the old HD 600/650.

Yup, the overall package of the Amirons seems to be a downgrade coming from the DT 1990, and the aesthetics doesn't have the professional and "premium" look neither.

Be that as it may, as long as the build quality are similar, I've no problem at all with the Amirons (indeed, they still look better and more sturdy than many headphones around, including some flagships), and I think that they're better suited for home and pleasure listening opposite to the DT 1990, as Beyerdynamic implies.

The HD 660 S looks nicer in the head though, and if the sound is balanced and more dynamic than the HD 600/650, they definitely deserves a shot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back