Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 3, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #2,597 of 3,701
To methe DT1990 is better in all regards. But the DT1770 Is very close. It is open vs closed can. And if you need a closed can, you are very well suited with the DT1770.

Danke... I think Amiron may actually be better for home use. :) There aren't many impressions of it though.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #2,598 of 3,701
Selling mine. Thanks. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,599 of 3,701
Thanks for your input guys. I think DT1770 may be better for me but DT1990 looks so damn awesome. I love how the cup looks. Also the new Amiron (T90 successor) is another interesting headphone. I wonder how it compares but there's not many people who've heard it apparently.

The Amiron is a bit like the 1990 with its treble dialed down a bit. After listening to both head to head, I decided not to stock the Amiron. It just sounded dull compared to the 1990 (which I love).

The 1770 being closed is a different beast. To the poster who was told that the 1770 is dull and analytical, I would say that is wrong. The fulsome bass and clear treble make for an exciting music-listening experience. I don't think there is a better closed-back headphone in it''s price range.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,600 of 3,701
I agree with Jersey. The DT1770 is not boring at all. It is really fun, especially with bassy electronic music where it can really groove. But does well with all genres.

It is a nicely balanced headphone with great bass, mids, and treble, all in a closed, comfortable, well isolating package.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,601 of 3,701
The Amiron is a bit like the 1990 with its treble dialed down a bit. After listening to both head to head, I decided not to stock the Amiron. It just sounded dull compared to the 1990 (which I love).

The 1770 being closed is a different beast. To the poster who was told that the 1770 is dull and analytical, I would say that is wrong. The fulsome bass and clear treble make for an exciting music-listening experience. I don't think there is a better closed-back headphone in it''s price range.

Balanced or Analytical pads? Would you say the DT 1990 vs Amiron is like the HD 600 compared to the HD 650 in terms of differences between each other? Does the Amiron lose that sweet euphoric sound the DT 1770/1990 has?

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #2,602 of 3,701

Thanks so much for the comparison. How is Amiron's bass? Is it somewhat emphasized or dialed down like its treble?

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2,603 of 3,701
Thanks so much for the comparison. How is Amiron's bass? Is it somewhat emphasized or dialed down like its treble?

Bass was very similar to the 1990, or at least I did not notice a big difference.

Balanced or Analytical pads? Would you say the DT 1990 vs Amiron is like the HD 600 compared to the HD 650 in terms of differences between each other? Does the Amiron lose that sweet euphoric sound the DT 1770/1990 has?

I have only listened with the balanced pads. Would not want to lose any of that beautiful bass. Can't comment on whether it is similar to the 600 vs 650. The Amiron loses some of the magical treble sparkle. If listened to on its own without a back and forth with the 1990, I'm sure people would find it sweet and euphoric, but it is less detailed in the highs. And I do not find the 1990'overly bright, the way I did the T90.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,604 of 3,701
  I agree with Jersey. The DT1770 is not boring at all. It is really fun, especially with bassy electronic music where it can really groove. But does well with all genres.

It is a nicely balanced headphone with great bass, mids, and treble, all in a closed, comfortable, well isolating package.

I think I must have a duff pair of 1770s, or I'm more of a basshead than I thought, because I don't find the bass full enough within the whole mix to call these "fun" headphones. Sure, EDM can certainly make them rumble like the best and the midrange can make vocals sound sweet, but rock music too often sounds a bit anemic on the 1770 and lacks low-end power and grunt IMO. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #2,605 of 3,701
  I think I must have a duff pair of 1770s, or I'm more of a basshead than I thought, because I don't find the bass full enough within the whole mix to call these "fun" headphones. Sure, EDM can certainly make them rumble like the best and the midrange can make vocals sound sweet, but rock music too often sounds a bit anemic on the 1770 and lacks low-end power and grunt IMO. 

You should sell those and  get the Sony MDA-7520s.
No contest.
Not even close.
The Sony's are exceptional...They are really on a completely different level then anything below $999.99
They are sort of like the HifiMan 560's yet closed with better mids.
I have a full page here of my gears, and the Sony's crush them all regarding detail retrieval, clarity, and insight.
And yep, their bass response is amazing in that it has almost a sub type impact, yet, without robbing the superb mids or diminishing the incredible high end.
You've mentioned that you enjoy a headphone that can go deep and yet be very musical and precise.
BINGO = The Sony's.
They are made for anyone who is searching for an incredible gear.

Here is a link to my Sony Thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826363/affordable-happiness

Wordfool, ....If you go there, stay awhile, as there are 2 pages of very good sounding music vids there that you might scroll through which will allow you to really find out what your headphones can do.
2 pages.
Lots.
Be sure, if you go, to set the resolution for the videos to 720p or 1080p, then sit back and enjoy yourself:).

best, 

FB1

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #2,606 of 3,701
I just received my new replacement 1770"s. They came in a different carry case. The first ones had an integrated handle and a different material. It was just like the T5P Gen 2 box. The new or replacement set has a square box without handle. Is this an early model? Any info.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,607 of 3,701
I just received my new replacement 1770"s. They came in a different carry case. The first ones had an integrated handle and a different material. It was just like the T5P Gen 2 box. The new or replacement set has a square box without handle. Is this an early model? Any info.

It is an early model. I have the same box. The DT1990 comes with the handle box. What serial number does it show?

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,608 of 3,701
It is an early model. I have the same box. The DT1990 comes with the handle box. What serial number does it show?

Thanks
 Not sure if that's a good or bad thing or it makes no difference. I had an issue with the 3pin connector on my first set. I have heard about issues with the drivers on these. Cross my fingers.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #2,609 of 3,701

Be sure to change the resolution to (720p - 1080p) if you want to hear the video songs posted below....

-
-

-

-

Does it actually improve the sound b/c i keep reading it doesn't. I felt like it did (psychological i'm assuming now) Seems just the quality of video improves. Wish i never read that it didn't improve, unless you know for sure otherwise.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,610 of 3,701

Does it actually improve the sound b/c i keep reading it doesn't. I felt like it did (psychological i'm assuming now) Seems just the quality of video improves. Wish i never read that it didn't improve, unless you know for sure otherwise.

-
Yes, it improves the quality of the signal to both your eyes and ears as long as the source material is equal to the upload resolution..
Go to any Youtube music video and watch a 240p, then watch the same video in 1080p.
Its day and night as long as the source material is the same.
Hearing is believing.

When i was choosing videos - songs for this thread and nearly all my other Threads, i listened carefully and tried to choose the best sounding video songs.
It actually took time and effort to do all this, to provide all these regarding the best listening quality i could locate for the sole purpose of pleasing myself and pleasing anyone who knows how to use their headphones.
See Shamuuu, i get a buzz turning new listeners on to how to listen to their headphones, as most dont realize that the best way to listen to your headphones is
in the pursuit of new musical discoveries as well as buying better and better headphones and discovering new music in the music you already own.
But for me, i get a real buzz when i know that people are hearing new music for the first time that ive posted and they are in the BLISS of DISCOVERY regarding a new artist or a new genre that makes them go "WOW",..... as i know that had i not led them there, then they would not bet getting the most value out of their headphones or their musical experience in general.
Life is all about discovery, and headphones are one of the very best methods regarding this pursuit.

Shamuuu,  even among the highest resolution Youtube music videos, there can be a huge difference in fidelity =  all according to the source material.
In other words, if you 1080p upload a low rez (mp3) file, then you have nothing but a low rez video in a 1080p format.
Its  the same backwards science as turning a compressed MP3 file into a Wav file. = you're creating space with nothing in it.
So, the SOURCE needs to be not only authentic, but also the best possible so that the end result is the best result.
A great sounding Wav music file turned into a 1080p video is the best possible option, but not all do it......but some do.........I do, for example.
This is why a few of my song uploads found here are 480p....= because the source material was excellent so the 480p was a better and more accurate listening experience
then offered by someone who uploaded a bad source  (mp3) material of the same event, YET< used the 1080p video option. = waste of time.
So, when you hear my music videos ive posted on my Threads on this Forum, they are, as much as possible, very very good sounding considering the format.

thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back