Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #2,641 of 3,701
Not had a chance to use an A2, but the best results i've had so far have been on my A20, also changing to the leatherette ear pads gives them a tad more bass but less resolution IMO.

Imho, I just read that your dac uses TI 1793 which have a solid midrange similiar to IDSD Micro.

Could you maybe try it with a Sabre dac?

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,642 of 3,701
I see, how are the highs and bass, yours do well on your set up?.

The sub bass is slightly emphasized on Mojo, the highs are perfect, sparkle yet not harsh, for me the mids are the problem. (Best highs I have heard in mid fi closed back)

Hi
It might not be related to the subject of thread but i've heard pairing mojo with a smart phone causes noise , /so how bad is that noise? Have you had such experience?

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,643 of 3,701

Not had a chance to use an A2, but the best results i've had so far have been on my A20, also changing to the leatherette ear pads gives them a tad more bass but less resolution IMO.

Imho, I just read that your dac uses TI 1793 which have a solid midrange similiar to IDSD Micro.

Could you maybe try it with a Sabre dac?

Hi zzzmonster, Apologies for taking so long to reply!.

Well I like the SMSL dac it does a good job with my other phones, it could just be that i'm taking awhile to adjust to the 1770s sound signature as it took me awhile to get used to the 770 and 990, most of the phones i've had that I instantly liked I tended to go off after a few months whereas my other two Beyers i've had for nearly two years and are keepers, think I will give the 1770s a 2/3 weeks and if I still can't get used to them then I will sell.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,644 of 3,701
I hear people talking about the clamp on these bad boys. Some find it uncomfortable, some don't mind it.

My reference point is the Shure SRH840 which I can wear for 3+ hours with moderate comfort but the band does put pressure on the top of my head, causing me to shift the cans around every 1 hour or so.

How's the comfort-ability/clamp factor of the 1770 pro vs the SRH840's for those who have tried both?

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,645 of 3,701
  I hear people talking about the clamp on these bad boys. Some find it uncomfortable, some don't mind it.

My reference point is the Shure SRH840 which I can wear for 3+ hours with moderate comfort but the band does put pressure on the top of my head, causing me to shift the cans around every 1 hour or so.

How's the comfort-ability/clamp factor of the 1770 pro vs the SRH840's for those who have tried both?

This is from memory (I've sold both sets of cans), but on my head they felt about comparable, of course the Beyer is the heavier of the two, and YMMV.

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,647 of 3,701
Hi
It might not be related to the subject of thread but i've heard pairing mojo with a smart phone causes noise , /so how bad is that noise? Have you had such experience?

I haven't had any issue with my Mojo and Bey DT1770. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,648 of 3,701
  Has anyone tried these on the Bottlehead Crack?

I would like to know this as well has anyone used the JDS Labs Element DAC/Headphone amp

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,649 of 3,701
I love these DT1770's. Surely one of my favorite (probably favorite period) closed can.

They are so pleasing to listen to. Stellar bass, warm smooth mids, and a totally non-fatiguing treble. What plagues many headphones with incredible bass like the DT1770 is fatiguing treble, but none of that going on here.

Also, the soundstage is just superb for a closed back and it has good imaging too. 

I mean seriously, as a closed can these do no wrong. Versatile in genres, comfortable, and awesome for EDM, which I love. 

I do find the velours I like more than the plethers, I think the sound is just better, and more comfortable.

Glad, I found these gems and gave them a chance...

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,650 of 3,701
Gotta say, mightily dissapointed with these... :frowning2:
I originally bought a pair of DT770's, in an attempt to find the perfect companion to 'rock out' with. My other cans are great for classical, jazz, but I miss the bass-slam that a good pair of closed-backs can give you.
I was actually pretty happy with the 770's. And still am. They have a great listenable character, but compared to my other cans they can sound a bit 'rough around the edges'.
I thought the DT1770's would be the perfect solution. Compared to the 770's they are a little (and I MEAN a little) more refined, but IMO at least, they do not pull away from the 770's enough to make them worth the while, never mind four-times the price.
This makes the DT700's one of the greatest over-achievers of the century IMO, and makes the DT1770's one of the biggest dissapointments...

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,651 of 3,701
I originally bought a pair of DT770's, in an attempt to find the perfect companion to 'rock out' with. My other cans are great for classical, jazz, but I miss the bass-slam that a good pair of closed-backs can give you.
I was actually pretty happy with the 770's. And still am. They have a great listenable character, but compared to my other cans they can sound a bit 'rough around the edges'.
I thought the DT1770's would be the perfect solution. Compared to the 770's they are a little (and I MEAN a little) more refined, but IMO at least, they do not pull away from the 770's enough to make them worth the while, never mind four-times the price.
This makes the DT700's one of the greatest over-achievers of the century IMO, and makes the DT1770's one of the biggest dissapointments...

your thoughts seem to mirror sonarworks, I think they could potentially use the same driver 

http://sonarworks.com/2016/04/test-of-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro-studio-headphones/

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,652 of 3,701
your thoughts seem to mirror sonarworks, I think they could potentially use the same driver 

http://sonarworks.com/2016/04/test-of-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro-studio-headphones/

Funnily enough, I read that review today, after musing about why the 1770's are so disappointing.
Technically, the 1770's use a Tesla 2.0 driver, which should in principle be streets ahead of the drivers in the 770's.
However, I would concur completely with that review.
Other reviews of the 1770's are much more favourable. However, I don't think those reviews compare the two sets of cans directly.
Don't get me wrong. They're not bad, and if you've never heard the 770's, you wouldn't complain. But I have.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,653 of 3,701
Funnily enough, I read that review today, after musing about why the 1770's are so disappointing.
Technically, the 1770's use a Tesla 2.0 driver, which should in principle be streets ahead of the drivers in the 770's.
However, I would concur completely with that review.
Other reviews of the 1770's are much more favourable. However, I don't think those reviews compare the two sets of cans directly.
Don't get me wrong. They're not bad, and if you've never heard the 770's, you wouldn't complain. But I have.

The only other reviewer I've recalled comparing them to the dt770 was hifiguy who said the 1770 makes the 770 sound unlistenable in comparison. But I would probably take your word for it lol

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,654 of 3,701

I just received a pair today. Sounds pretty good so far, and I'm meeting with someone in the coming weeks who has a pair of the DT770's 80 ohm.

I do have some nitpicks such as vocals sound a touch recessed and a bit unnatural . I do like the bass though. Strong and punchy, but I can't help but think that it's a touch "off" at times. Can't put my finger on it. 

I'll definitely have to sell the DT1770's if the DT770s are almost as good.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,655 of 3,701

I agree with you on this. I've had mine for three weeks now, when I received them I couldn't wait to plug them in a give em a go but my almost instant reaction on listening to them was one of, at first, slight disappointment compared to my 770s, ive been switching back and forth between them ever since hoping they would grow on me but they aren't,I have to sat IMO any improvements between them are minimal, biggest disappointment of all was detail, thought that the Tesla drivers would make them more detailed but I don't hear it, they do however have slightly better bass, a bit more refinement but that's about it, they do sound pretty good on my Beyer A20 but not so good on my LD MKIII. Think i'll be selling mine and keeping the 770s.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back