Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 7, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,266 of 4,790
Too bad!!
Interesting, though. I asked about this same thing a couple months ago, but nobody seemed to agree* at the time, so I chalked it up to my amp or my ears. In fact, I even "got used to it" to some degree, but every now and again I'll have them at lower volume and find myself thinking they sound veiled or muddy, or something. I'd have definitely mentioned this if it was something I thought was worth mentioning.
I wonder what it is that makes them more suitable for loud(er) listening? I'd have thought it was the drivers, but if the Amiron are better at lower level, maybe it's the tuning? My PM-3 are definitely my most laid back headphone and also the best for playing at low volume. I always thought it was because they're planar, but maybe it's because of the tuning. Huh. Food for thought.

Also, if returns are on your list of priorities you should probably skip MassDrop, unless they've changed their policy.

*Or, well, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe somebody did agree, but I preferred to hear/remember only what I wanted. Such is the mind!

They are tuned different, the drivers while essentially the same driver are also tuned differently. I swapped the Amiron Home and DT 1990 drivers in the past a few times and the Amiron drivers kept some of the Amirons traits such as it's ability to play well at lower volumes while the DT 1990 kept it's traits of playing louder well and it's more intimate sound.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,267 of 4,790
They are tuned different, the drivers while essentially the same driver are also tuned differently. I swapped the Amiron Home and DT 1990 drivers in the past a few times and the Amiron drivers kept some of the Amirons traits such as it's ability to play well at lower volumes while the DT 1990 kept it's traits of playing louder well and it's more intimate sound.
Yeah, I remember reading about you swapping the drivers and noticing they each kept some of their original tunings. I just find it curious and interesting that their ability to play at different volumes is affected by the tuning.
...And as I was just listening to my PM-3, I realized that they do well at low volumes when I've got them EQ'd to be a little less laid back. So there goes that theory.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2,268 of 4,790
Yeah, I remember reading about you swapping the drivers and noticing they each kept some of their original tunings. I just find it curious and interesting that their ability to play at different volumes is affected by the tuning.
...And as I was just listening to my PM-3, I realized that they do well at low volumes when I've got them EQ'd to be a little less laid back. So there goes that theory.

There are numerous factors. I do know that even if the drivers look the same between models, they may sound a little different. I find it curious too.They Amiron handled louder volumes well, it became quite aggressive compared to it's normally relaxed sound, but I felt the DT 1990 always did loud better. The T1.2 is somewhere between the DT 1990 and Amiron tuning wise with greater refinement, imaging, smoothness, and detail; it handles both loud and quiet well, it's not quite as euphoric though.

I like to mod my headphones, it's really quite interesting what a slight change to dampening can do to a headphone.

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #2,270 of 4,790
Hi guys, just a very strange question from a noob :)
To those who have both DT1990 PRO and AKG K712 PRO (or similar).
I'm still testing bot headphones, cause I'm not able to decide which one to keep (no, I can't keep both :D).

I think and feel that in this song (from 0.20 to 0.36 minutes) the guitar are much better reproduced by the AKG. I feel like the guitar is in front of me and is so well reproduced that makes me shiver, while other sounds are
attenuated, and in my humble opinion I think that this is the right representation of this song.
On the other hand the DT 1990 PRO emphasizes more drums and cymbals, while the guitar is backward. It's not just about backwardness, it seems that the sound is totally different from the AKG, and I can't understand if the real one is the one from the AKG or that from Beyerdynamic.
Of course these are quite different headphones, AKG are more flat, while Beyerdynamic are more V-shaped.
Anyway I'm testing with and without equalizer, in particoular, for DT1990 PRO I'm using these settings and another preset made starting by that one, but with -3 dB and -2dB at 8350 Hz and 15000 Hz
respectively.

I don't know if there are better settings, in case let me know, I accept tips willingly.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,272 of 4,790
I'm still testing bot headphones, cause I'm not able to decide which one to keep (no, I can't keep both :D).

I think and feel that in this song (from 0.20 to 0.36 minutes) the guitar are much better reproduced by the AKG. I feel like the guitar is in front of me and is so well reproduced that makes me shiver, while other sounds are
attenuated, and in my humble opinion I think that this is the right representation of this song.
On the other hand the DT 1990 PRO emphasizes more drums and cymbals, while the guitar is backward. It's not just about backwardness, it seems that the sound is totally different from the AKG, and I can't understand if the real one is the one from the AKG or that from Beyerdynamic.
Of course these are quite different headphones, AKG are more flat, while Beyerdynamic are more V-shaped.
Anyway I'm testing with and without equalizer, in particoular, for DT1990 PRO I'm using these settings and another preset made starting by that one, but with -3 dB and -2dB at 8350 Hz and 15000 Hz
respectively.

I don't know if there are better settings, in case let me know, I accept tips willingly.

Where did you get THOSE settings? I'm geeking out!

EDIT: Never mind, found them! Testing them against my own settings.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2,273 of 4,790

respectively.

Well, I don't have the K712, but here's what I'd like to think I'd do if I were in your place.
First of all, don't judge a headphone by 16 seconds of one song. That's just silly. If that 16 seconds happens to be representative of how you feel about the DT 1990 in general, that's fine, but don't dismiss it for something that's going to happen really infrequently. You should try to judge each headphone as a cohesive whole against the other. My advice is to take your time with both pairs. Relax. Don't try to pick each apart, comparing minute details-- you'll drive yourself nuts doing that. Instead, as you're relaxing listening to music, pay attention to how each makes you feel. Are you getting more into the music with one than the other? Is one bringing you more enjoyment than the other? The music and enjoyment are, after all, what this is supposed to all be about.

Having said that, if you're only enjoying the DT 1990 with EQ, then maybe it isn't the headphone for you. Maybe. Personally, I have some rigs that I can't EQ or can't EQ well, so having a headphone that doesn't work with that rig doesn't make sense. Of course, I know there are some people who have different headphones for different rigs, etc. Personally I'd want to minimize that as much as possible.

I hope this helps you decide!

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #2,276 of 4,790
I've been playing around with Solderdude's measurement and my own curve, here's my current 2 cents eq for the A-pad FWIW: I think the dip at 4.5k is an artifact from resonance? Fully correct it based on measurement alone will lead to overcorrection (The original calculation from REW suggests a 12 dB boost).

Preamp: -6 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 6490 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 3613 Hz Gain 3.8 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1672 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 1.27
Filter: ON PK Fc 7377 Hz Gain -6.9 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 4464 Hz Gain 8 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 2047 Hz Gain 6.4 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3143 Hz Gain 12 dB Q 1.84
Filter: ON PK Fc 5616 Hz Gain 12 dB Q 1.31
Filter: ON PK Fc 6592 Hz Gain -12.7 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 3541 Hz Gain -17.5 dB Q 1.02
Filter: ON LS Fc 90 Hz Gain 6 dB

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #2,277 of 4,790
Well, I don't have the K712, but here's what I'd like to think I'd do if I were in your place.
First of all, don't judge a headphone by 16 seconds of one song. That's just silly. If that 16 seconds happens to be representative of how you feel about the DT 1990 in general, that's fine, but don't dismiss it for something that's going to happen really infrequently. You should try to judge each headphone as a cohesive whole against the other. My advice is to take your time with both pairs. Relax. Don't try to pick each apart, comparing minute details-- you'll drive yourself nuts doing that. Instead, as you're relaxing listening to music, pay attention to how each makes you feel. Are you getting more into the music with one than the other? Is one bringing you more enjoyment than the other? The music and enjoyment are, after all, what this is supposed to all be about.

Having said that, if you're only enjoying the DT 1990 with EQ, then maybe it isn't the headphone for you. Maybe. Personally, I have some rigs that I can't EQ or can't EQ well, so having a headphone that doesn't work with that rig doesn't make sense. Of course, I know there are some people who have different headphones for different rigs, etc. Personally I'd want to minimize that as much as possible.

I hope this helps you decide!
Hi, you are perfectly right, I can't just judge the headphone by 16 seconds of one song. I think it's not just about the song, in general it seems that AKG reproduces the guitar sound in a better and cleaner way, while the DT1990 PRO seems to reproduce it in a "dirty way". It's really hard for me to explain what I feel listening to these headphones, but, as already said, I feel like that AKG have a cleaner and better defined sound, with voices and guitar sound forwarded.

Just for fun, I tried an extreme and absurd preset on EqualizerAPO (the one that I use on my JVC HA-SZ1000) with 30 Hertz @ + 20 dB and with this test (I repeat, was just for fun I've JVC for basshead), and AKG seems to better reproduce bass @ 30 Hertz and below, really impressive!
Also DT1990Pro is able to reproduce these frequencies, but bass are not much stronger, but are evidently less defined.

I will give much time to myself to evaluate which one to keep, but I'm asking myself how is it possible that an headphone which costs half the other one, seems to be more "clear".

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #2,278 of 4,790
Pads could also be effecting the headphones also perhaps the headphones are a demo pair and have been dropped or abused in store, you never know.
When i listen to guitar music (rock, metal, black metal, classic, acoustic, jazz, alternative, psychedelic) i find the DT1990 Pros to perform amazingly well, i have other headphones that i can compare to and ive had the grace to borrow and use a pair of AKG k712 Pro at the same time. from MY taste i find guitar sounds much better on the DT1990 Pro than the AKG. partially due to having a more cleaner sound and less soffocating sound like the AKG K712 Pro. AKG has good detail but in my opinion not better than Beyerdynamics DT1990 Pro.

Again, this is a hobby where so many things come into play, peoples preference, quality of the recordings and files, source gear, ear pads, the persons physical ear lol. if you dont like the sound of the DT1990 Pro, then dont get a pair. its that simple save the cash and buy something else.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #2,279 of 4,790
Hi, you are perfectly right, I can't just judge the headphone by 16 seconds of one song. I think it's not just about the song, in general it seems that AKG reproduces the guitar sound in a better and cleaner way, while the DT1990 PRO seems to reproduce it in a "dirty way". It's really hard for me to explain what I feel listening to these headphones, but, as already said, I feel like that AKG have a cleaner and better defined sound, with voices and guitar sound forwarded.

Just for fun, I tried an extreme and absurd preset on EqualizerAPO (the one that I use on my JVC HA-SZ1000) with 30 Hertz @ + 20 dB and with this test (I repeat, was just for fun I've JVC for basshead), and AKG seems to better reproduce bass @ 30 Hertz and below, really impressive!
Also DT1990Pro is able to reproduce these frequencies, but bass are not much stronger, but are evidently less defined.

I will give much time to myself to evaluate which one to keep, but I'm asking myself how is it possible that an headphone which costs half the other one, seems to be more "clear".
Just a word of caution if you decide to grab the K712 new. Mine was harsh sounding in the highs, atleast it was until I was about 20-30 hours in and the headphone finally settled down. Been one of my favorite ever since.

That said, I had a chance to sample a couple of headphones recently and had I not gotten myself a dap, I definitely would have added the DT1990 to my collection. Can't say which is better at this point but both are good just in different ways.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #2,280 of 4,790
Just a word of caution if you decide to grab the K712 new. Mine was harsh sounding in the highs, atleast it was until I was about 20-30 hours in and the headphone finally settled down. Been one of my favorite ever since.

That said, I had a chance to sample a couple of headphones recently and had I not gotten myself a dap, I definitely would have added the DT1990 to my collection. Can't say which is better at this point but both are good just in different ways.

Hi, thank you for your suggest, but I bought a K712 new and already breaked in for more than 30 hours with pink noise and rock and hip hop music :)
I agree with you, after about 20 hours of sounding, they changed in a better way.

DT1990 PRO really impressed me at the start, but while I'm continuing listening to them and switching back to the K712 PRO it's like I'm finding their limits.
Soundstage is really narrowed, I think that they performs like a closed headphone, but if I have to lose so much soundstage it's better to buy a closed headphone, I will pay less, have better isolation, less sound leaking and better bass. Moreover highs are really predominant and, if I equalize them, sound become gloomy.
Another difference that I noticed is that K712 Pro makes me relax and focus more on details and voices, while DT1990 PRO are more enjoying but I loose a lot of details.

This is what I noticed until now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back