Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm and home audio - will it work well?
May 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

takitam

New Head-Fier
Hello all

I am about to buy these headphones, I tested them and I like them. It is possible that in the future I will also buy the reccommended Fiio e09k amplifier but for now I'm only thinking about buying headphones only. I got no technical knowledge about what is important for headphones to work well with an amplifier and my question is: will the Beyers work well with my home audio cd/amplifier?

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/dr-s501-34503.html?tab=Details

Do you guys think it would be noticeably inferior to dedicated headphone amp or should it be good enough? Some not very technical easily understandable explanation would be appreciated.

May 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 2
If you mean will the Onkyo drive the DT880, yes, but there's no way to tell how well in terms of actual sound quality. In any case why don't you just get the 250 ohm DT880. It's already been established that there's minimal difference between the 250 and 600 ohm and the former is easier to drive (plus oftentimes cheaper).

Your broader question of whether a home amp or receiver is as good as a dedicated HP amp is a little more problematical. In my experience a good amp or receiver will provide a result commensurate with a dedicated amp and with greater convenience (tone controls/remote etc), but the emphasis is on "good". I've found Marantz to consistently provide good headphone outs (I currently use an old Marantz SR4200 receiver with very satisfying results). I also sometimes use a Cambridge 340A amp, which is more precise and detailed but not always as pleasant on poor recordings. Horse for courses.

You can only know how your Onkyo sounds by trying it, but be sure to give the headphones (or your ears) time to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back