Beyerdynamic DT Premium build quality ?
Aug 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Thommohawk

100+ Head-Fier
I've had issues with the DT 990 Pro version, I've had 2 of them and both had to be RMA well within 2 years with the original pair not lasting 1 week. Same problem with both sets, audio in the earcup cutting out because of the internal wiring developing a fault.

My question is do the premium versions of the Beyer DT line suffer the same issues ? What's the word on that ?

I'm in the market for headphone upgrade and I'm considering the Beyer DT 880 600 ohm but I worry that as the cable isn't detachable that I will probably suffer the same fate if I remain with the same house of headphone. 

So with that in mind I'm considering the AKG Q701 for something a bit different. Plus it has a detachable cable and looks very sturdy. And you get a spare cable with it, which is just awesome! If only they offered leather pads too....

In addition, I'm also strongly considering the Denon D2000, but it does not have a detachable cable and it's availability is extremely limited in the UK now.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

I've owned many beyers over the years and have not had one develop this problem. May I ask how you used them and how they were stored?

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 6
We can give recommendation based on headphones with detachable cable, but the sonic qualities you are looking for are important. Let us know about your taste. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Hi,

I've owned many beyers over the years and have not had one develop this problem. May I ask how you used them and how they were stored?

Hi,

I used them daily for hours, or as often as I could, and I'd use them for everything from TV, music, movies, games. As for storage (because there's no carry case) because I don't have a headphone stand I used to hand them off a protruding corner of my PC desk which I guess acted the same as a headphone stand as it never fell off. But since I moved I'd been placing them on top of or nearby my Fiio E9 amp (switching the amp off of course) but in any event they were always open to the elements I guess.

And to the other guy who asked about sonic qualities I'm looking for, I liked the DT 990 Pro a hell of a lot (boosted bass and treble) but I've also been demoing the Denon D2000 in town and I really like those as well. Basically what I'm looking for is clarity first and foremost, good imaging, wide soundstage, and I thought I was looking for bass too - but I'm starting to wonder now if it's bass amount or bass quality that I'm actually looking for.....in other words if the bass was relatively natural but presented more up front in the presentation rather than way way off if you understand what I mean ? 

Basically a few years ago I used to have a Sennheiser HD 215 headphone, not expensive by any means, and it was a headphone with high noise attenuation and advertised as having a linear response, it's bass I did not like as the general audio sounded as if it was coming from in front of you and the bass was bottom of the pack so it sounded like it was in the other room lol. I think I wouldn't mind bass quality over bass quantity but I think it really will depend on where it's mixed presentationally I guess on the actual headphone.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 6
After all these information and the people who asked for it just kept quiet? I've noticed a trend where people just auto respond to threads by the default "there are many variables, you need to give us more info", "you are not being specific, need more details", and then when more info is given they just shut up and no help at all. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back