BeyerDynamic DT1350 On-Ear Earphone initial impressions and review
Oct 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.
Graphs taken from innerfidelity.com

Technical Specifications
Transducer type-Dynamic
Operation principle-Closed
Nominal frequency response-5 - 30,000Hz
nominal impedance-80ohm
nominal SPL-109dB
nominal THD-<.02%
Power handling capacity-100mW
Max sound pressure level-129dB
Sound coupling to the ear-Supra-aural
Ambient noise isolation-ca.23dBA
headband pressure-ca 5.5N
Weight without cable 174g

The Beyerdynamic DT1350 are BeyerDynamic's not flagship on-ear headphone and the superior younger brother to the t50p. Both headphones use the Tesla technology in the driver and both have a similar design principal. I will be comparing the DT1350 too the Sennheiser HD25 1-ii frequently in this thread as they are my old on-ear headphone and I used them everyday for about 3+ hours a day for about 6 months. I know that headphone very well and I fell this is a great contender.
The BeyerDynamic DT1350 can be purchased for 240-300USD on the internet.

My initial impressions
From the second I opened the box I was impressed, the packaging was very minimal as most higher end headphones tend too be these days, The carrying case is very well built for being a semi-soft case it seems like it would fall short but it stays very well in a backpack.  Walking form one end of town to the other I found my self being extra careful at intersections as I could honestly not hear a thing.

Initial tests
I only have about 19 hours of burn in on these things and have a 30 day limit before I can return them for a refund or keep them in my collection; these are my initial impressions from my 8 hours of use on them.

Isolation; Well, I can safely say theses are the best isolating headphone I have ever used. Sorry HD25 and TMA1 but you just don't cut it, I feel this is attributed to two things; The pads on the Beyerdyanimc DT1350 are the most supple pads I have felt in a long time, second to the Ultrasone Edition 7 pads. I don't care if they are real leather or pleather I feel every headphone should have this leather as a pad option; come on Sennheiser give us better pads for the HD25's. The second factor is the full metal backing on the ear cups. Tylle at innerfidelity has led me to believer the ear cup was entirely plastic but that's just not the case. The round bubbled back is  solid metal and I think this helps with the isolation and noise reduction. Walking around town with these on Was a scary thing, I could not hear the hundreds of semi-s that pass through town every day; upon taking them off I had a mini hear attack as the screeching breaks of a big-rig squealing to a halt at the light beside me pierced my ears.

Build: These are built like a brick....house, and weight as much as well. The weight does not retract from the comfort of these headphones. BeyerDynamic has their machined aluminum down too a T and that really shows with these. Bring the full aluminum contraction of these headphones calls into question the fact that metal can bend and warp unlike the ridged as all sin plastic sennheiser used in the HD25's and I applaud them for that. The cable on the DT1350's is very well built but single sided and non detachable, if the cable breaks a full recableing would be needed and that seems like it would be horrific to have to deal with on such a small headphone.  The headband, and bails holding the cups are all machined and formed aluminum that I believer are powder coated, the ear cups are a thick plastic with a metal backing that I feel cuts down on outside noise and bass reflections.

Sound: The meat and potato's of these headphones, the sound so so detailed; When I say detailed I don't mean "detailed" as people seem to mean it on head-fi, they are not sibilant, shouty, harsh, or screechy. They are truly detailed, The upper mid-range is very very detailed along with the high-end. Bass is something these headphones do I feel properly, it's quite bottomless but it takes a back set and does not over power the other frequency's by any means, however the lower mid-range suffers from slight recession in the 880-1200HZ range and I feel I would not notice this had the upper mid-range been so full and detailed but that's is just a small recessions and is no means V shaped. The sound is so well balanced but has a slight warm tilt as the high-end has slightly subdued where the "heat" would occur. Detail is just the strangest thing, I thought the Grado RS2 were detailed in the upper-mid range and highs, but these just put them to shame in that aspect. Detail is not he only thing these headphones do rather well, instrument separation I would say is well above average for any headphone, I know the HD25's didn't separate anything to my ears, the RS2's separate to an extent but sound congested if too much is going on. These however rival the TMA1's in this aspect I feel. Imaging is another thing the DT1350's do incredibly well, a rather large sound stage for a tiny closed headphone and everything has some air in between on the "stage" the feeling is just wonderful. Sibilance is not an issue with these, the "sting" they have is, at lease I would say right on par with he RS2's "sting": but it's a pleasant sting, it give a little energy to the music.

Songs I tested:
House of the Rising sun-Joan Baez
This is one of my favorite songs on my Grado RS2, and I know the HD25's didn't do it any justice. The DT1350's have such a smooth sound and such detail they Joan's voice just comes alive. the bass is just perfect for this song, the guitar has a slight bit of rumble  to it but nothing like a bass head headphone has, The recession in the mid-range makes her voice feel.... a bit hallow? I'm not sure how too put this but it sound slightly off, boosting the 880 and 1200 Hz fixes this problem and just makes these headphones and her voice come alive.

Rotten Apple-Alice in Chains
I love this entire CD but this song inarticulate. The opening guitar rift sound wonderful on these, so close and intimate as the bass rumbles with every note as the electric guitar starts and seems to fly across the stage. The vocals are very upfront but the insane detail really pulls then entire song together and really shines in this song.

The Hand That Feeds-NIN
Being a huge Nine Inch Nails fan I decided to take a listen to a few of his songs. This being a more dance song I figured would be a good bass tester and boy was I wrong. The bass extension is there but these seem too lack that mid-bass hump to really explode. The DT1350's are very quick sounding and I feel keep pace very well, each note is played perfectly in this song and nothing is lost, I can follow the bass line under the drums and synth's, that is no easy task.

Even Deeper-NIN
These really lack that mid bass hump and This song just proves that. The opening on this song gives the K601 a thunderous bass, but thees still remain rather subdued. Adding a bass boost to these really makes them a bomb, The bass is very thunderous and boomy. It remains its quick punchy signature just adds some real explosiveness.

Parallel universe- Red Hot Chili Peppers
The mans voice just jumps out at me....I really get lost in this song and these headphones don't help with that. They separate everything so well, but I notice the mastering on this song does bring out more of a sting than other songs.

Diamonds&Gold-Tom Waits
I love the almost abysmal tone of this song, this entire CD really. I am quite familiar with this song and I feel the DT1350's have no flaws. The detail in Tom's voice is just amazing, you can hear his every raspy breath and I love it.

Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565-Johann Sebastian Bach
Wow, I love listening too this song on my K500's, but these do such a great job with classical I'm . I could easily sell all of my other headphones, spare for my RS2's and be just happy with these two for home and on the go.
The pipe organ in this song just sounds fantastic on these headphones. This song nearly proved too me that these are worth the $300 USD

I WILL BE ADDING A FULL REVIEW WHEN I BURN THESE BAD BOYS IN!
38 Hours of burn in reached. No notable difference, will do more.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 5
God, those square wave responses are perfect.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 5
NECROMANCY!!!!! but at least some one noticed heh.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 5

Isolation; Well, I can safely say theses are the best isolating headphone I have ever used. Sorry HD25 and TMA1 but you just don't cut it, I feel this is attributed to two things; The pads on the Beyerdyanimc DT1350 are the most supple pads I have felt in a long time, second to the Ultrasone Edition 7 pads. I don't care if they are real leather or pleather I feel every headphone should have this leather as a pad option; come on Sennheiser give us better pads for the HD25's.

I actually prefer the pads on my HD25s.  I also think the isolation is better with the Sennheiser model.

If I had to let one of them go though, I would keep the DT1350.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I actually prefer the pads on my HD25s.  I also think the isolation is better with the Sennheiser model.

If I had to let one of them go though, I would keep the DT1350.

I really liked the sennheiser velour pads for the HD-25 but I didn't really like there pleather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back