Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-ohm mini-review
Jan 23, 2014 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sgtdisturbed47

New Head-Fier
A couple weeks ago I decided to look into a new pair of cans. The ATH-A700x and A900x took my attention for a short time, but I didn't want a repeat of my past experience. The A700's I had owned a few years ago left a lot to be desired in the bass department. Many years ago, before I bought a pair of HD280 Pro's (my first set of nice headphones), I tried on a pair of DT770 Pro headphones at a Guitar Center. Unfortunately, they couldn't hook them up to a proper audio source, and MP3 players really didn't exist yet (the iPod just came out but I hadn't bought one yet) so I didn't have music on my person to do a proper audition with. But, I got to feel them on my head, and I never forgot that comfort of the velour and how lightly (but securely) they fit on my head.

Upon deciding to get new headphones, I bought a pair of used DT770 Pro-80 cans. Oopsie. They were badly used with the pads worn flat and the left channel cut in and out when the cable was wiggled. I returned them to the eBay seller and got a full refund. I did get to listen to them, though, and I am thoroughly impressed. Initially, my brain wasn't used to how much more detail I was hearing in music I've been listening to for a few years now, so it took a few hours for me to adjust. Paired with a Biosciencegeek cmoy amp (using a 12v power adapter), the DT770 Pro-80 really shines. They absolutely require an amp. Without an amp, the midrange is pretty laid back, making anything other than rap sound dull. With an amp, the midrange is right where I like it: present but backed off just a tad. Without an amp, the bass is pretty wild and dominates well into the midrange. With an amp, the bass is powerful but doesn't distract from the vocals or electric guitars.

The comfort, even on an old used pair, is phenomenal. Very little clamp force, super soft velour, but plenty of isolation. In fact, with music at a low whisper, I can't hear much of anything outside the headphones. The soundstage does seem to change a bit with an amp, going from "talking in your ear" to "front-row seats". Still pretty close but far enough away to get the music out and away. For closed cans, they have a nice soundstage.

I don't mind strong bass. In fact, when I listen to music in my car every day, the sub in the trunk of my Town Car is providing strong bass (500-watt RMS Alpine Type-R 12" DVC sub in a custom ported & tuned box). I enjoy bass, as long as it's controlled and not too wild. The bass produced by the DT770 Pro-80 is right where I like it.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoy the DT770 Pro-80 cans, especially amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back