Beyerdynamic DT770M, help requested
May 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ronion

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read many a head-fi post, but have always felt to ignorant to post any commentary. Anyway, I recently signed up so go easy on me please.

In my night life, I play guitar, cry, and sing. :wink: about a year ago I bought the DT770M in order to track recordings of myself. A few months ago I was playing bass and noticed that the left side had a boatload of bass while the right side had none. I ran some frequency sweeps and noticed the same thing. Well here we are several months later and I've built a rig to measure the sound output of headphones. It's illuminating! Sometimes the ear is right! Sometimes what you hear is what the software shows.

So in any case, here's what is did:

I made a graph of the headphone.

Took it apart and made a graph of the drivers.

Put it together(minus the pads and internal damping.

Took it all apart and added the damping back in plus a little cotton and sealed the holes as best I could with plasticine.

I graphed every step of the way which I can't post from my iPad. The drivers measure essentially identical. Put them in the headphone housing, and the right one serious lacks bass--5 dB difference at 20Hz! Any idea what's going on here? I contacted Beyerdynamic, but they are closed until Monday.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back