Beyerdynamic DT880 more than hold their own against the Grado PS1000
Nov 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

julienchina

New Head-Fier
This is my first post on head-fi. I used to be a professional cellist, and used to play alongside all kinds of instruments in all kinds of rooms or halls. And I love hi-fi, and have toyed with many very impressive systems, going up to the hundreds of thousands (US$). I'm saying that because the typical musician doesn't know equipment. Musicians are easily impressed, because they don't even imagine getting close to the live experience with any equipment is a possible thing. They are certainly not after it, because they live in live environments, so what they look for and notice the most in hi-fi is what is better than the live experience. Tell me I'm wrong.
In a nutshell, don't trust your musician friends on equipment. But maybe you can trust me a little... lol.
First of all, I want you all to know that by principle I am always trying not to be brand biassed. Because most brands have different products that satistfy different customers. And if we speak of headphones they depend so much on the rest of the chain to sound good that many times comparing two pairs of cans on the same amp is not fair to at least one of them.
But ! That being said, I have to confess that recently I am in awe with my 600 Ohm DT880. For acoustically recorded music (as opposed to music we usually listen to with amplification, such as jazz, pop-rock etc) , I think the 600 ohm DT880s ( I don't like the lower impedance versions) are the most timbre accurate (I choose my words very carefully, I didn't say most revealing) headphones I have ever heard. They take time to get to their best, but it's the first time I hear this kind of instrument timbre accuracy on a pair of headphones. I have far less experience in the headphone domain than the speaker domain, so I have never heard the K1000, the Qualia, the Omega, the Orpheus, or the R10. Nor the newest HD800 and T1. But I've listened to my best recorded CDs and SACDs with many of the expensive Denon, Audio Technica, Mb Quart/Maestro, and of course Grado.
I never thought I'd feel like this, because so-called "accuracy" is always room acoutics dependant, so we always can argue that different devices' sound signatures are like different rooms. But, that is the only pair of heaphones I've heard that gets the right timbre for every instrument and voice, even in big symphonic recordings. I don't love my HD650s that much anymore (still on certain types of recordings or music), because coming from the Beyers I hear distortion in the highs. I just cancelled my order for the Grado PS1000 after a very careful listening session comparing them with the DT880s. Both had two weeks of 24/7 run-in time, and I compared them on different amps including the flagship Rudistor combo and the Lavry DA11. Without a doubt, considerably more information, and more "air" is coming out of the PS1000, so in terms of resolution objectively the Grados are the better can by a mile. But at the end, as impressive as they can be, with classical music the Grados are not timbre accurate in the highs the way the Beyers are, there is a coloration that is quite far away from what the instruments sound in any acoutic conditions in real life. Compared to the DT880s. Then compare to the coloration on Audio Technicas and the Grados are Heaven on Earth, but that's another story...
Also, the PS1000s boost the bass slightly in a way that makes me feel that in many symphonic recordings the double bass low notes come even faster and clearer than the violins ! This is not normal, in real life it takes 10 times the time to even start the vibrations on a thick string !
Of course, the DT880s have their flaws too. They aren't that great for me in pop music or rock, they will often sound dull and dry and are the least forgiving I know on bad recordings or lossy files (in that category the oh so revealing PS1000s nevertheless sound better on pop/rock mp3s, and of course the low impedance allows them to play directly on mp3 players. With them I was proven once again how better sounding my Samsung YP-P3 is than my so highly praised Cowon S9...)
The bottom line is : for good classical music recordings, the 600 Ohm DT880s are so timbre accurate that they outclass their price range by quite a margin.
So, for the next step I will have to choose between either the HD800 or the T1. If I like them.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 59
Terrific first post, and and official "Welcome to Head-Fi!" to you.

Insights from musicians & others immersed in the music industry are always welcome & desirable around here. Thank you for sharing your opinions regarding the DT880/600's, both in the contexts you've described, and in comparison to other top gear.

I am also enjoying my Manufaktur DT880/600's these past few months, coming to appreciate them a lot. I agree with all of your statements regarding these headphones, as well as wanting to hear the upcoming T1's. If you haven't done so already, check out the dedicated thread for the DT880/600's here. I look forward to more of your posts.

Cheers.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 59
It's an interesting review, thanks. I'm curious about the differences you heard with the lower ohm versions, as I've been thinking about upgrading and have read a few people say they hear no major difference with the 600 Ohm, while others say there is a lot of difference, and still others say they prefer the 250s!

I was just listening to the brandenburg concertos, copland appalachian spring, stravinsky's petrushka, and some bach cello suites with the 250ohm, and felt that it did not get much better than that, for under $800-1000 at least. So if the 600ohms are that much better for only around $300, it's got to be the headphone deal of the century.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 59
Great first post and very good review. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future!

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 59
Thank you guys ! I will definitely post a review of the HD800 and the T1 vs my DT800 600 if necessary, after a few days listening sessions. But I guess I'll have to wait another two months since in China they seem to take time to arrive. The good thing is I know the dealer well so I should be able to borrow both...

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an interesting review, thanks. I'm curious about the differences you heard with the lower ohm versions, as I've been thinking about upgrading and have read a few people say they hear no major difference with the 600 Ohm, while others say there is a lot of difference, and still others say they prefer the 250s!

I listened to both the DT880 and DT990 in the 250 Ohm version. They were not completely run-in, but even the brand new 600 Ohm version sounded more balanced and fuller. Transparency is what takes a long time to appear with these cans.
About what other people feel, I always try to analyse if they've had the opportunity to compare on different amplifiers, if they didn't compare brand new 600 Ohm to well run-in 250 Ohm, if their own amplifier is able to get the best out of 600 Ohm, and maybe what version of both it is (I mean the production year). And, last but not least, did they listen to all types of music to draw their conclusion or only one type and which type is it...
I find the 600 Ohm to be better, and from what I've heard so do some people at Beyerdynamic.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 59
welcome to Head-Fi.

as a former aspiring double-bassist, i appreciate your review. i have the DT990-600ohm which sounds absolutely fantastic with everything...except if it has a double bass on the recording - too much bass
biggrin.gif
. the DT880-600ohm will be a X-mas present to myself though.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 59
Welcome to head-fi and what a first post!

I too love my DT880s to death. They are no 600ohms though (trying to work something out
wink.gif
).

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

i have the DT990-600ohm which sounds absolutely fantastic with everything...except if it has a double bass on the recording - too much bass
biggrin.gif
. the DT880-600ohm will be a X-mas present to myself though.

I will be interested if you find the 990s 600 still more tranparent than the 880s 600 (some people have said that before), or if it's the same beast with just a boost in the bass (and some say this...).

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 59
Wow! Great first post! I hope you stick around and contribute regularly - I like your perspective!

Any chance I can convince you to give the Beyerdynamic DT48 a listen? I owned the DT880 for a couple of years and really enjoyed them, but I felt that the DT48 truly outshines them for detail, accuracy, speed, and a natural timbre. A lot of people don't like the bass, but I find it accurate.

You can find used ones for $75-$125 or so, and they're very durable. New ones run a little over $300, but used ones are typically fine. There are a few threads on the DT48 you might be interested in - take a look if you're curious.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by julienchina /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will be interested if you find the 990s 600 still more tranparent than the 880s 600 (some people have said that before), or if it's the same beast with just a boost in the bass (and some say this...).

i've read that the DT990 soundstaging is closer than the more distant DT880, but i think some of these comparisons are not with the 600ohm species. i'll report back once i get the DT880-600.

i owned the DT880-250 ohm years ago with a Naim source and amp. the pairing was too piercing in the treble and distant sounding - a bad pairing. any comparisons to what i have now are meaningless though. i recently sold off my K701 and HD650 after hearing the DT990-600 and have no regrets.

right now the AKG 271 is serving duties when i want less bass from the recording. it's a wonderful HP and a keeper.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 59
Great first post! I have no experience with Beyerdynamics but you've convinced me that, at some point I should. I thought your opinions/impressions of how the cans compared to actual live music very interesting. I doubt there are many of us who have sat in the middle of an orchestra before and being right beside the variety of instruments you have!

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Great first post! I hope you stick around and contribute regularly - I like your perspective!

Any chance I can convince you to give the Beyerdynamic DT48 a listen? I owned the DT880 for a couple of years and really enjoyed them, but I felt that the DT48 truly outshines them for detail, accuracy, speed, and a natural timbre. A lot of people don't like the bass, but I find it accurate.

Thanks Erik for your kind words. I will definitely check on the DT48. But I see there is a 25 Ohm version and a 200 Ohm version. Which version do you have ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back