beyerdynamic DT880 re-cable guide(in progress)
Jun 16, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 76
haha you CAN do that, but it, in reality REALLY doesnt save you much, all you hafta do to go dual (keeping them the RIGHT way up) is take the foamies off and drivers out, no need to touch the headband or remove the cups even, and just drill ONE hole, it takes about 10 seconds! flipping em upside down is a process in itself and not to mention you would definitely have to drill out or enlarge the existing holes from the crossover wire (they are VERY small, probably only about 4mm or so if i had to guess), and you would STILL be left with a gaping 1 cm square in the top of your left cup where the original entry was. so...no id say flipping em upside down probably is a pretty POOR choice.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 76
nice work, Jam. One question for all of you - any idea what the white paper 'doughnut' surrounding the driver does?

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 76
sign me up! just got my dt880s and they're great for my non-classical. on the WA6 they're nice, light and fluffy. can't wait for my metalbase to arrive!

anyway, i am wondering at the sonic differences of a recable. most of the threads i've found say either:

1. "only marginal sonic difference, not worthwhile doing" OR

2. "here's how you do it"

so presumably, there is something to be gained by modding? is it worthwhile? and what are the sonic differences??? i'm mainly going to use them for pop/rock/r&b. cable recommendations and sources are appreciated!

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #21 of 76
Great guide! Really helpful.

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 76
Awesome guide, just used it to recable my DT770's, although I did it dual-entry style instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #23 of 76
Great guide, I'll probably end up using this if I decide on the DT880's (over K701's) if I decide to cheap out and not use a professional.

And hey, a fellow Nova Scotian/Haligonian (stupidest name ever for people from Halifax IMO)!

EDIT: Any chance you would know a place I can give the DT880's a listen? Peak Audio is just getting in some K701's later this week so I'm going to give those a listen, just want to find a place to listen to the DT880's so I can form my own opinion.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great guide, I'll probably end up using this if I decide on the DT880's (over K701's) if I decide to cheap out and not use a professional.

And hey, a fellow Nova Scotian/Haligonian (stupidest name ever for people from Halifax IMO)!

EDIT: Any chance you would know a place I can give the DT880's a listen? Peak Audio is just getting in some K701's later this week so I'm going to give those a listen, just want to find a place to listen to the DT880's so I can form my own opinion.

Hey,
You'll have to get in on the next maritimer meet, you'll hear everything you could want.
3000smile.gif

I think I'm the only maritimer who owned dt880s but I sold them a good while ago though. I do have broken in, recabled k701s if you'd be interested in hearing those.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 76
When would the next meet happen to be? And what's your personal opinion between the two sets of cans for listening to pretty much any type of rock/rap/metal and some gaming?

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #26 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When would the next meet happen to be? And what's your personal opinion between the two sets of cans for listening to pretty much any type of rock/rap/metal and some gaming?

I love both them but sadly they both lack in those genres IMO. The k701 is better than the DT880 though but still not a great headphone for rock-metal (thats the only time I pull out the SR-225s). We don't have a big meet planned for a while but most of us meet up in smaller deals more often.

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #27 of 76
Ugh, that sucks for me, I love the sound of Grado headphones, but I prefer headphones that completely encircle my ears. Are there any headphones that have a similar earcup style around that price range that you would recommend over them? I can't spend more than $280-$300 Cdn. on them, especially since I was only going to end up spending about $260 for either of the ones I've mentioned shipped.

I've heard from a few comparisons that the DT880's have better bass than K701's, while the K701's have a much bigger soundstage, but which one wins in the treble department?

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #29 of 76
Sweet guide, what type of wire would not make the headphones brighter?

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 76
Since the outside surface of the earpieces are flat, can you make these into woodies by simply gluing appropriate sized wood pieces to them? Anyone tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back