Beyerdynamic DT990 left/right ear imbalance?
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rakky

New Head-Fier
Heyo!

I've googled a bunch and not really found anything, and figured the best choice is just to start a new thread here.

I've had my DT990's now for almost 2 weeks, and I'm generally pleased (got quite a good sound-quality improvement above my old garbage headset, as well as the HUGE comfort boost, I could easily wear the DT990's for 12+ hours a day with no signs of pain around my ears, amazing!).
But there's one thing. Since yesterday I've noticed that there's some kind of imbalance in sound-level between the left and right speakers. The right one sounds louder in most songs I've tried, more notable in some than others.
When I first heard this I almost panicked for a second thinking that my left ear had turned bad and that I'd never be able to hear good again. After flipping the headset around (left ear->right earcup and vice versa) it turns out this wasn't the case (phew). However I am now unsure what to do with them, is this something anyone else here has knowledge of? Could it be my source (I do not have an AMP/Soundcard, just running straight from my 3,5mm jack in the back of my PC (tried with my phone+macbook as well though, same result)? I know people say you need an AMP for these, but I never heard anything about sound imbalance.

I tried finding some songs that it was really noticable in, so I just went on Youtube, grabbed a few random songs and found that it was easily noticable in this one (Alexandra Stan - Lemonade). Right at the start, the right ear is quite a bit louder and somewhat clearer than the left one. Later on it's slightly less noticable, but even then it's there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlzwQGj-IA

Really noticable here as well (easy to hear for me from 1:30 onward):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Gmr6P40qk

I could go on linking songs all day now, but I feel it is un-necessary, if someone feels differently I'll find some more songs though.

Thanks in advance, would appreciate replies with suggestions what to do *crosses fingers for a magical fix*.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 15
I've got some dt990s and listening to the songs you posted I can't hear any imbalance.

If you get an amp it may have a balance feature where you can adjust the volume for each ear (e.g. FiiO E17) and above the 32Ohm version the dt990s really benefit from an amp so it would be a good investment.

Other than that I think you're best bet is to email beyerdynamic and ask them about it, if you've only had them for 2 weeks then hopefully you'll still have warranty and can get it sorted for free if repairs are needed.

Hope this helps, It's a shame the DT990s are giving you problems as they're great cans

Dave

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
I've got some dt990s and listening to the songs you posted I can't hear any imbalance.

If you get an amp it may have a balance feature where you can adjust the volume for each ear (e.g. FiiO E17) and above the 32Ohm version the dt990s really benefit from an amp so it would be a good investment.

Other than that I think you're best bet is to email beyerdynamic and ask them about it, if you've only had them for 2 weeks then hopefully you'll still have warranty and can get it sorted for free if repairs are needed.

Hope this helps, It's a shame the DT990s are giving you problems as they're great cans

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I bought them from an online store here in Sweden, I think I might talk to them first (got a 1-year warranty from there, so that should cover it). Or is emailing Beyerdynamic a better choice? I'm kinda clueless on this one.

I might get an amp in the future, but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at right now in terms of sound-stuff. Next upgrade is probably going to be a sound-card, after that I'll see if I feel the need for an amp. Right now I don't see the point however.

I feel they are really nice headphones as well, it just sucks that it has to happen now (going away in a few days and will be gone for a week, would be quite nice to have a pair of headphones so I could listen to stuff when away, but oh well. Guess I'll use in-ears).

Thanks again.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 15
If you've got a warranty with the store go to them and they should sort it out
(It's a shame you won't have them while you're away but they're big open cans and I'm not too sure how well they'd travel)

Dave.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
If you've got a warranty with the store go to them and they should sort it out
(It's a shame you won't have them while you're away but they're big open cans and I'm not too sure how well they'd travel)

Dave.

Heh. I don't really feel that they leak THAT much sound. I mean obviously they're - as you said - open headphones, but I can barely hear them while they're playing music and laying at my desk half a meter away from me. Don't think anyone minds, it's family anyway :)

Thanks again for the reply. I'll call them tomorrow when I wake up (put huge post-it notes everywhere so I won't forget) and see what they say.

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 15
I have exactly the same problem except my right one is significantly lower than the left. Tried every combination, different devices, different music formats but no luck.

I'm returning these to Amazon right now...

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Yea, Beyer has some quality control issues. Similar issues were noticed with the dt1350 and T1 having badly matched drivers. 

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 15
I realize this is an older post, but I have found a solution for my channel imbalance. For the driver that is quieter, take another magnet and recharge the magnet of the headphone driver.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Criss969

I made an account just to ask you: How do I take a magnet and recharge the magnet in the headphone driver? I have both a beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250ohm and a t90 that both have the right can that's significantly more quiet than the left.

Thanks ahead of time! In the meantime, I'm trying to find an answer by searching on Google.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 15
  Criss969

I made an account just to ask you: How do I take a magnet and recharge the magnet in the headphone driver? I have both a beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250ohm and a t90 that both have the right can that's significantly more quiet than the left.

Thanks ahead of time! In the meantime, I'm trying to find an answer by searching on Google.

To start off so that I don't get any grief.. I am a complete noobie to headphones and know next to nothing about science, so this may just have been a fluke that it "fixed" it. I just took an old, broken surround sound speaker magnet and held it on/moved it around on the driver that had the imbalance. I have no idea if this actually did anything, but I can remember something along the lines of charging magnetic objects with other magnets around 2nd grade.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 15

To start off so that I don't get any grief.. I am a complete noobie to headphones and know next to nothing about science, so this may just have been a fluke that it "fixed" it. I just took an old, broken surround sound speaker magnet and held it on/moved it around on the driver that had the imbalance. I have no idea if this actually did anything, but I can remember something along the lines of charging magnetic objects with other magnets around 2nd grade.

No worries. I have had this issue with every single one of my beyerdynamic headphones so I'm willing to give it a shot. I wonder if the magnet you used is similar to just a normal magnet. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 15
  No worries. I have had this issue with every single one of my beyerdynamic headphones so I'm willing to give it a shot. I wonder if the magnet you used is similar to just a normal magnet. 

did it work by chance? i'm having the same problem with mine, the right driveer sounds very bland and distant as well as much more silent than the left driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back