Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen vs HD 800S
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 51
  hmmm, how many cm/inches difference is the sound stage in width and length do you perceive between dt1770 and hd800?  maybe i built it up too high in my imagination after reading review about how its like a concert hall or a big room, i really only heard it from coming next to my ear, just a bit out, maybe 2 cm further than dt1770s sound stage. i was very aware its a headphone and right next to my ear, not even like speaker

i also didnt feel more detail in the hd800, it was more pleasant, but i didnt hear things that ive never heard before on the dt1770, (even on 6000 euro rig, which rules out underamps and not full potential stuff), the cliche people always say when they upgrade
ofc i do hear differences in details, but just one more pronounced/emphasized over one another, but thats sound signature, not detail i think

, its said hd800 can produce the overtone of instruments better and more precisely, didnt hear that at all

what do you think, i just have wooden ears or?

I don't think you have wooden ears, everyone puts value in headphones differently or maybe your impressions were too short/you didn't A/B test them at hand so you are just comparing them on memory. I've heard people say the dt770 and dt1770 sound the same and some people say the hd700 and m50x sound the same...

I really think the whole "I'm hearing things I never heard before" is a cliche, and that should only really happen if you were using cheap headphones with incapable drivers or very dark sounding headphones. Once you get to a certain point you should be able to hear all the details in a recording because the drivers inheritly don't have a night and day difference. What makes the hd800 stand out is that every little detail is easily audible and you can hear even the faintest details without trying to look for them. The best analogy I can make is a darker headphone like the hd600 having slightly blurry lenses and the hd800 having ultra sharp lenses. The details are still visible on both lenses but the sharp lenses will make it easier to pick up

Soundstage is very hard to measure and I would not be able to give a precise estimate on how far or near a headphone makes the music sound. But I would say the hd800 has a good 30-40% soundstage increase compared to the dt1770, your perception might be different and influenced by expectations. The best way I compare soundstage is by using a headphone after using my hd800 and seeing if I get the "closed in" or "congested" feeling

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #32 of 51
i find your answer rather insightful, i might start a post about the detailing part to see what other people think, i tend to agree with you, i just cant imagine, that a flagship like hd800 can produce sounds that a subflagship like hd600 cant

i did A/B side by side for a good 1 to 2 hrs, not sure if enough, kinda wanna go to the shop again, but the owner kinda pushy for me to buy the store model which other customers have brought home and tried just for a 130 euro off MRSP and 30 euro off online price

are you in the USA? im in germany, quite hard to come by a shop with a good collection or even just hd800, sad life

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #33 of 51
Detailed
 - Easy to hear tiny details in the music; articulate. Adequate high frequency response, sharp transient response.
found this definition from headfi glossary,

i misunderstood the meaning of detailed, thank you for bringing this error to my attention, now i can adjust my expectations

in terms of soundstage, i think its partly because of lack of imagination maybe, im just very consciously aware of where that the source of the sound is right next to my ear, one probably need to allow the headphone to create the illusion its huge and not think about the actual position of the drivers

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 51
When I first tried the hd800, I was not that impressed to be quite honest. It was only after directly comparing them to my q701 and t1 that I was truly impressed by the soundstage and bass qualities so I think I can understand you on how the soundstage difference doesn't make a huge difference. When I am completely engaged in the music I'm listening to, then soundstage really becomes negligible at that point. I think jazz music is great for comparing soundstage or metal music with tons of instruments because a larger soundstage really helps with instrument separation.

I do live in the USA and I do not have any good shops with high end headphones in my area either, just a bunch of portable headphones. That is why I just ended up purchasing all of my headphones because someone like me was bound to buy them anyways since I have always wanted to hear them. I can sell the ones I don't use later down the road and make some good cash but I can tell you I am not selling my hd800 any time soon 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #35 of 51
damn, i suppose i was expecting the hd800 to blow my fking mind, overwhelm me with detail,
like some review said too much detail that the brain has to get used to it

but damn is the hd800 comfortable, considerably more so than t1 or dt1770

im considering bending the headband or replacing with a lower clamp beyer model headband, did u change anything?

btw it might interest you to know that, i put the custom one pros pad on dt1770 in store, super comfortable, its memory foam, unlike the elastic dt1770 pads or t1s, and very cheap

n shame T1 no spin on pad mechanism

PLSSSS sennheiser give us hd850 or hd900

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #36 of 51
With everything I said, the hd800 is still amazing and gave me the extra 25% I was looking for in my Q701s and with a bit of EQ becomes my absolute favorite headphones.

I have not changed anything on my T1s, the earpads are very soft but the weight distribution is better with my hd800. Beyer earpads are a hassle to remove so I prefer leaving them alone. I do not think we will see a true sucessor to the hd800 any time soon, it hasn't been much since sennheiser released the hd800s 

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #38 of 51
I have hd 800 and t1s, hd 800 is better on Soundstage, instruments separation, but t1s sounds more beautiful, not sure if the sound is true for violin or piano though.
Also make sure to increase the volume for t1s, it's 600 Ohm vs 300ohm

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #40 of 51
Hey guys how is it going for everybody ?? I own a Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and just love it but I also want to try out Beyer's flagship the t1. It's not going to replace my amiron so I will keep both. Amiron has more bass quantity(enough) than what I actually prefer so I'm buying the t1 to get noticably bigger soundstage and imaging. There is a deal on focus camera - $649 for T1gen2 Black edition and $699 for T1gen2 Silver, it's time for me to pull the trigger but on which one ?? Pls help guys since some of u guys have owned all the three... Thanks

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #41 of 51
I see∼∼ I've heard the t1 and t1.2 multiple times in shop, I Digg it, don't really feel more details than the dt1770 tho, just brighter and more open

Just still having fantasies any how good the hd800 could be though
I have a set of T1 first generations and I can't imagine they could improve that much to v 2.0. If the cost is similar, o.k., but how much better could they really be?

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #42 of 51
I have a set of T1 first generations and I can't imagine they could improve that much to v 2.0. If the cost is similar, o.k., but how much better could they really be?
As explained or stated thousands of times by people even in their dying moment that the t1.2 are not an upgrade even for somebody who's deaf or physcho. It has a much darker sound. Not an upgrade in terms of fidelity and overall impulse response coz it's the same driver.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #45 of 51
As explained or stated thousands of times by people even in their dying moment that the t1.2 are not an upgrade even for somebody who's deaf or physcho. It has a much darker sound. Not an upgrade in terms of fidelity and overall impulse response coz it's the same driver.

My T1 (2nd Gen) has a slightly brighter treble than my T1 (1st Gen)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back