Beyerdynamic T51p Review & Amperior Comparison
Jan 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

alexm23

100+ Head-Fier
I got these from ProAudioStar on eBay because they were selling open boxes for $199: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyer-Dynamic-T51P-Portable-Tesla-Hi-Fi-closed-back-headphones-PROAUDIOSTAR-/400646640811

I thought I'd write a quick review on them since I haven't seen much talk about these anywhere. I also recently bought the Sennheiser Amperior, so Ill compare the two as well. This is my first review ever, so sorry for everything. Here we go:

Accesories
It came with a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter, a cloth case, and an airplane adapter. I won't use any of them.

Design
Compared to the DT1350, the T51p loses the split headband, but gains metal earcups. I prefer this because I don't like split headbands and never split the headbands on my Amperior. Also, I think the DT1350 facelift looks really cheap with the black plastic, although I've never seen one in person. However, the T51p looks absolutely fantastic with the metal cups. There's faint horizontal machining lines on them which impart a great visual texture.

The T51p uses significantly more metal than the Amperior too: everything on it is metal except for the black ring around the earcups, while on the Amperior the only metal parts are the outer earcups, the outer part of the hinge for the split headband, and the metal bar that connects the headband to the earcups.

In terms of size, the T51p earcups are much smaller than those of the Amperior, and I had some trouble figuring out where to place them to get a good seal on my large ears. I had this problem with the AKG Q460 too. The significantly smaller earcup size does mean increased portability, I suppose. I read that these have the same improved earpads as the DT1350 refresh. If so, I can't imagine how hard it was to get a seal on first-gen DT1350s, I had enough trouble with these.

I think the suede Amperior pads are a lot more comfortable than the leather pads on the T51p, although the T51p pads aren't uncomfortable by any means. 

Sound
First, here are measurements for both these 'phones from Goldenears - the only website I know of that has tested both. 
T51p: http://en.goldenears.net/26761
Amperior: http://en.goldenears.net/16315

While testing these, I mainly listened to drum'n'bass, blues, and alternative rock. I used iTunes with 320kbps MP3s and WAV files. EQ off. Dell E6520 -> Asus Xonar U3 -> Fiio E6. 

Bass: Contrary to its frequency response graph, the T51p does not sound like a very boomy headphone to me. In fact, I would call its bass balanced-armature like: it has very fast decay and is quite clear. It can pick up some bass guitar notes that even the Amperior smears. T51p doesn't have a huge amount of bass but it has an ample amount and this is coming from a basshead who loves his Westone 3 and Future Sonics Atrio IEMs. It's lacking a little of the very lowest frequencies, which is only really noticeable when listening to drum'n'bass. That is to say, they're not loud enough to be clear but you can still tell that they're there. The Amperior has more extension but is also more boomier and impactful. Of the two, the Amperior is definitely the basshead choice. Bass drum kicks have more impact and overall it's a more "explosive" sound, although still more detailed and clear than most.

Midrange: The T51p does well in the midrange. It's lush, and I think the midrange gives the headphone it's addictiveness--sometimes I just can't put these down. It's not intrusive on the other frequencies, and isn't overly accentuated in terms of loudness. Detailed, too--I don't think I've owned a headphone with this detailed of a midrange, but I usually choose V-shaped sound signatures. Which is probably why I don't know what else to write here.

Treble: T51p's treble is not as accentuated as the Amperior's. Amperior has a sharp 8-9kHz peak which the T51p lacks, and it's noticeable when listening. I think Amperior has more treble detail, but that might just be because of the frequency response--T51p's treble is more recessed. The ~4.8kHZ peak on the T51p does help drums cut through the bass and midrange, but also gives it a slight sibilance if you're sensitive to that. To me it wasn't an issue unless I tried to hear it.

Other stuff: They both have small soundstages. I heard this is just what happens with on-ear headphones. Amperior sounds more airy, because it doesn't start dropping off in frequency response until ~3kHz. T51p drops off starting at ~1kHz. If you raise 2kHz in the iTunes EQ by one bar, it gives the T51p a lot more airiness and also unlocks some upper mid/lower treble detail that was missing due to that part of the frequency range being recessed. Finally, I would say that the Amperior is cold-sounding due to its treble but with boomy and well-extended bass, while the T51p is more neutral-sounding with less emphasis on either treble or bass. In terms of overall detail the Amperior has it since as a whole it sounds clearer with less midrange clutter. But the actual midrange of the T51p is pretty great (although it does cover other detail) so I don't know which one I like better yet.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 16
Very interesting! I have a t51p and an amperior coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm very much enjoying the t51p but I find them uncomfortable after about an hour of use. I agree that the t51p doesn't have "boomy" bass but I will say its quite a dark headphone with more bass than the dt 1350. However, eqing completely changes the character of the t51p imo. At around 1k I start upping the response until it gets to about +5 db at 10k. I don't touch 5k or any other part of the spectrum. This turns the t51p into a much clearer headphone without sacrificing it's great bass. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Nice review! Thanks, I was looking for a comparison like this. However in the past I've had a Beyer T50. What's the difference, if any? Is it just a facelift so they can call it a "new model"?

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 16
I think the T50p, DT1350, and T51p are all different sonically. There is a thread somewhere else on head-fi where someone compares all three. Actually, it might be inside the DT1350 Appreciation Thread--I just remember I got to it by googling "T51p vs DT1350" or something like that.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 16
Got the amperior yesterday. I much prefer the sound signature of the Beyers for their detail and clarity. Vocals on the amperior seem ever-so-slightly muffled. The vocals don't sound as distinct from other instruments on the amperior. Also the clamping force on the amperior is just as intolerable as on the beyers, especially with my glasses on.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 16
  Also the clamping force on the amperior is just as intolerable as on the beyers, especially with my glasses on.

The clamping force can be reduced (quite considerably) but seasoning the headband. I hastened the seasoning process by putting the headphone over a small stack of book (stimulating a small head). After that, the amperior is really comfortable to wear for long hours.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 16
I just traded the Amperior for the Beyer t51p. Tomorrow I'll get them :)

I liked the Amperior very much, in the beginning. Very transparent and good sounding. The sound it's a little too V shaped for my liking, and the treble sometimes aggressive. Vocals are lost in the mix, and they sound not very natural due to the treble emphasis. 

I hope the t51p gives me more midrange quality!

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 16
I just traded the Amperior for the Beyer t51p. Tomorrow I'll get them :)

I liked the Amperior very much, in the beginning. Very transparent and good sounding. The sound it's a little too V shaped for my liking, and the treble sometimes aggressive. Vocals are lost in the mix, and they sound not very natural due to the treble emphasis. 

I hope the t51p gives me more midrange quality!

Really curious to hear your report on the T51p. I had the T50p and sold them, would take the Amperior or HD25-1 any time (actually I still have them and love their signature). I sort of liked the T50p but never loved them, whenever you switched to a different headphone, this sounded dull and lifeless in comparison. I heard that most of the T50p flaws are rectified with the improved T51p....

Looking forward reading your review.
Cheers,
K

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 16
I got my t51p yesterday! I listened for about 6 hours and I want to share my early impressions. First of all I traded my 1year Amperior plus money for a 1 month old T51p. The previous owner quickly sold this headphone after 10 hours listening, he didn't like the sound signature.

The t51 has a very warm-dark-bassy sound signature. The sound is incredibly powerful and thick, a lots of detail. The treble perplex me...  I think it's too recessed. If you are familiar with the Noontec Zoro, this headphone has a similar treble. This headphone has less treble than Sennheiser px 100ii, Akg K404, and they are not bright headphones...
The bass is also a little uncontrolled, and sum this with the recessed treble, you end with with a slightly muffled laid-back kind of sound.

Anyway I don't want to say they are bad or worse than the Amperior, maybe the just need to burn in more...

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 16
  I got my t51p yesterday! I listened for about 6 hours and I want to share my early impressions. First of all I traded my 1year Amperior plus money for a 1 month old T51p. The previous owner quickly sold this headphone after 10 hours listening, he didn't like the sound signature.

The t51 has a very warm-dark-bassy sound signature. The sound is incredibly powerful and thick, a lots of detail. The treble perplex me...  I think it's too recessed. If you are familiar with the Noontec Zoro, this headphone has a similar treble. This headphone has less treble than Sennheiser px 100ii, Akg K404, and they are not bright headphones...
The bass is also a little uncontrolled, and sum this with the recessed treble, you end with with a slightly muffled laid-back kind of sound.

Anyway I don't want to say they are bad or worse than the Amperior, maybe the just need to burn in more...

Any more experiences after a week? Did they change in sound?
Cheers,
K

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 16
The T51p is very different sounding from the Amperior. The sound is Bigger, more detailed, more relaxed, very powerful tesla magnet. Clarity is just average, and they sound slightly muffled. The Amperior are thinner sounding, more aggressive, fun.
At the end The Amperior are very good at alternative rock, metal. One of the best.
The t51p pretend to be a good all rounder. And maybe it is, but there is something in the sound that doesn't make me love them. The transition from midrange to treble is not  very linear, and the treble is a little recessed, so you end with a sense of un-coherence.
I am sure many peoples will love them, but they are not my cup of tea now, maybe in the future I'll change my mind... Who knows.

Hope it helps

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 16
I thought the Amperior's treble was too prominent and I had to EQ it down. I think the T51p's treble is fine (not recessed) though. But I agree that the midrange-treble transition is a bit imperfect.

On the T51p I do EQ down some of the lower frequencies (esp. 125Hz and 500Hz) to take away some veil though. I don't think the Goldenears FR graph is too accurate, but it was still a good starting point for me to do my own EQ experimentation: http://en.goldenears.net/26761

A big complaint I had with both of them (T51p & Amperior) is that the bass extension is not ideal, they don't reach all the way down to the lowest notes. But a while after I traded away my Amperiors, I read on head-fi that you can swap out the Amperior's standard suede earpads for the HD25's pleather earpads, which seal better, which leads to greater bass extension.

So I actually bought the Amperior again after selling my first one, haha. I bought the blue one because it was $20 cheaper now, even though I liked silver better. I got the HD25 earpads and I have to say that it did indeed help the bass extension a noticeable amount. I now actually listen to the Amperiors more than the T51p, the increase in bass the pads gave it makes it sound warmer and more pleasant to me (I originally thought the treble was too prominent).

Still like the T51p though, still keeping it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back