Beyerdynamic T5P Owner's Club
Mar 6, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 45
Just joined the club. Bought a T5p first gen. I completely agree with the claim that sound isn't natural and that instruments have their own spotlight as Artt said. In fact, I had the exact same words to describe it! I love that coloring of music though. Took me a couple of hours to get used to it, but now I'm addicted. Everyone should own one of these. I'm pairing this baby with a schiit stack. Does anyone find a pad that makes the can slightly less bright? This is the only thing keeping this from being my dream cans

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 45
Just joined the club. Bought a T5p first gen. I completely agree with the claim that sound isn't natural and that instruments have their own spotlight as Artt said. In fact, I had the exact same words to describe it! I love that coloring of music though. Took me a couple of hours to get used to it, but now I'm addicted. Everyone should own one of these. I'm pairing this baby with a schiit stack. Does anyone find a pad that makes the can slightly less bright? This is the only thing keeping this from being my dream cans

You tried reverse wearing them? Left cup to right ear and right to left.It helps to make the sound less bright as the angle of the drivers are changed,
I didn't like the sound from the stock cable and I replaced mine with a detachable cable mod.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 45

Open them up and stuff the cups with some sound dampening material. A soft foam will do.
Makes a lot of difference.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 45
I'm not that brave LOL. I'll try to follow Zeos advice and procure me some ZMF velour pads to flatten the sound a bit. Regarding reverse wearing them, it didn't sound good to me TBH :)

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #20 of 45
If anyone is looking for modification or improvement options for their T5p's, then I strongly recommend you check out my thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780993/beyerdynamic-t1-t5p-modifications-and-tweaks-thread it has everything you need to know!

- InsanityOne 
dt880smile.png

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #22 of 45
Does anyone know of an Anax mod that is like the one for the HD800, but for T5p?

Not that I have heard of, as it is not really needed and thus hasn't been researched. The angle of the drivers in the T5p's make it so that you want the drivers as close to your ears as possible, and the cup design makes it so that only a very small amount of dampening can be added before the headphone becomes extremely muffled. The best way to eliminate any frequency issues with the T5p's is to get a thicker pair of flat earpads like the Dekoni Elite's. Although if it were me I would also remove the center foam from those pads so it doesn't cover up the drivers.

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 45
I would like to replace my OPPO PM 3, i did read a lot of threads, headphone models, specs, details, and so on
The final conclusion for me is Beyerdynamic T5P or even T5P.2 ( alltough i'm not sure what's the difference between those 2 )
How is the Beyerdynamic T5P  soundstage / bas / isolation - leaked ?
Do you think it's worth the upgrade, guys, regarding the sound quality, generally speaking ?
Thank you in advance

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #25 of 45
I would like to replace my OPPO PM 3, i did read a lot of threads, headphone models, specs, details, and so on
The final conclusion for me is Beyerdynamic T5P or even T5P.2 ( alltough i'm not sure what's the difference between those 2 )
How is the Beyerdynamic T5P  soundstage / bas / isolation - leaked ?
Do you think it's worth the upgrade, guys, regarding the sound quality, generally speaking ?
Thank you in advance

Ss: very large for closed headphone, bas: recessed compared to other headphones but extremely controlled, isolation: as good as it gets. Might be the most isolating closed headphone out there.
Sound quality: a noticeable improvement from dt1770, Shure 1540 which are a big improvement over oppo pm3

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #26 of 45
Ss: very large for closed headphone, bas: recessed compared to other headphones but extremely controlled, isolation: as good as it gets. Might be the most isolating closed headphone out there.
Sound quality: a noticeable improvement from dt1770, Shure 1540 which are a big improvement over oppo pm3

I haven't heard the second gen, but I've heard that it's a bit less bright and relaxed sounding. If possible get to audition them first, the t5p isn't for everyone

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #27 of 45
Thank you, Ulises
So, would you recommend T5P ?
I don't care if they are very large, OPPO PM 3 cans are a bit small for my ears
I don't really need a lot of bas, PM 3 it's okay, but if there is a bit less, no problem with that
What about the soundstage ? What was your previous headphones ?
Again, thanks a million, Ulises

LE : what do you mean by " the t5p isn't for everyone " ??

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 45
the 1st gen was supposed to have a more neutral sound, the 2nd gen is considered to have a warm sound which is to say elevated bass but the highs taper off.  beyer also messed a little with the mids.  net effect is they changed the sound signature so that its less neutral.  i think the answer depends on what you will pair it with.  i have a fiio x5ii with an a5 amp.  the x5 had plenty of highs and the a5 tapers these a little.  so sometimes id like to hear a little more symbol.  i find i like the sound on the whole.  , theres lots of detail and you feel like youre on the stage with a high res recording.  the t5 is easier to drive and you may not need an external amp.  i find i like heavy metal least and classical and jazz most in terms of what sounds best.  just personal preferences. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #29 of 45
what was your previous headphone ( s ) Icasadonte ?
I upgraded from HD600 to OPPO PM 3, i liked the HD 600 but they are opened, so i couldn't hear anymore my wife screaming " your music is too loud " :)
PM 3 are pretty good too, but something is missing, i dont know

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #30 of 45
Thank you, Ulises
So, would you recommend T5P ?
I don't care if they are very large, OPPO PM 3 cans are a bit small for my ears
I don't really need a lot of bas, PM 3 it's okay, but if there is a bit less, no problem with that
What about the soundstage ? What was your previous headphones ?
Again, thanks a million, Ulises

LE : what do you mean by " the t5p isn't for everyone " ??

No problem :wink:
I've owned/own Msr7, HP50, M50x, Dt770, T5p, Phillips SHP9500 and I've listened to dt1770, shr1540.
SS: VERY large. Some of largest and most well defined SS out there.
I haven't heard the pm3 but people often put it in the same league (although with different sound signature) as Msr7. I don't know if that's true, but assuming it is then T5p is one level above the dt1770\shr1540 which are one level above the Msr7. In other words, should be a dramatic improvement.
The T5p require a lot of break in and they are somewhat bright and thin sounding. Although impedance is low and you could power them with a phone, not getting an amp would be a terrible waste. An amp, even a humble magni, improves these by a large margin.
These are much less forgiving of bad recordings than anything else I've owned, so beware. I'm planing on getting a lyr 2 to pair these next month to have a little more warmth :)
PS: these might be high maintenance in the long run (official pads are expensive). Think of this headphone as a Mercedes Benz class S and the Pm3 as a Toyota Camry.
PS2: these are the most refined and holographic closed headphones I've ever listened to (although people here have probably heard more headphones than me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back