Big Head Headphones
Nov 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lilium

New Head-Fier
Greetings all, and thank you in advance.
I've got a big head, 23 and 5/8 inches around, and finding headphones that will last more than a couple of months has proven to be rather difficult, they will all break within that span of time. I had a pair of Koss headphones that lasted me good long while, but I recently lost them :frowning2: and I cannot remember the exact model. 

I'm looking for a fairly decent pair of headphones that will fit this huge head of mine and also not be too pricey, preferably no more than $250. I'm a big time computer gamer so I also enjoy positional audio capabilities as well. I hope these specs aren't too limiting in my choices.

Thanks again.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Would open or closed back headphones be better? The DT990 were a very loose fit for me, so I think the DT990/880/770 would work for you. Most high-end head gear should be good, though. If not you'll still have a warranty.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 6
I believe that I would prefer closed-back.

When I search the three models on amazon, I can't really find a difference between the specs, if you could give me the main differences that would be great. I also see a lot of headphone amplifiers in the "frequently bought together" section, what difference do these little devices make, if much of one at all?

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Would open or closed back headphones be better? The DT990 were a very loose fit for me, so I think the DT990/880/770 would work for you. Most high-end head gear should be good, though. If not you'll still have a warranty.

OP, If you get one of the beyers I would advise you stay away from the 'pro' models as they usually have higher clamp

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I believe that I would prefer closed-back.

When I search the three models on amazon, I can't really find a difference between the specs, if you could give me the main differences that would be great. I also see a lot of headphone amplifiers in the "frequently bought together" section, what difference do these little devices make, if much of one at all?

See here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

There are actually several versions of each of the 3, and that guide covers them nicely. Overall, the DT770 is a bassy closed headphone, the DT880 is open and neutral but with strong highs, and the DT990 is open with sharp treble and strong bass. Don't get that one unless you're a real treblehead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back