Biggest head scratcher
Sep 29, 2021 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 294

roadcykler

1000+ Head-Fier
Chances are all these things have been discussed somewhere, but maybe not all in the same thread so this is an attempt to do that. If it's been done, my apologies. I was thinking about some of the silly things I've heard about or read over the years that made me scratch my head, and the one that continues to get me is PRaT. It's just baffling to me that someone would think a piece of stereo equipment or any of the associated wiring, in any form, would or even could cause an electrical signal to speed up or slow down to the point of being audible. It fails the common sense test on so many levels, but people believe it. I just read a review about two weeks ago by a very respected person who has been in the business for a long time and he mentioned PRaT and how great a particular component handled that.

So, what causes you to scratch your head in disbelief?

Sep 29, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 294
I don't think the term is meant to suggest that signals speed up/slow down to the point of being audible.

As far as I know it's a purely subjective term used to describe equipment that essentially gets you tapping your feet to the music. I do find it odd that somebody gave it a name, though. I think some people like to make things more complicated than they need to be.

I shake my head j disbelief when people claim a 'night and day's difference in sound quality, with something that can't even be measured.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 294
PRaT is for TWiTs! (heheh)

It's actually a pretty useful term though. If someone uses PraT without trying to be funny, it's a sure sign that they are purely driven by placebo effect and don't know anything about the science of sound reproduction.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 294
I don't think the term is meant to suggest that signals speed up/slow down to the point of being audible.
I’ve definitely seen it used this way. In fact, this is the first description/definition that I remember reading some ten-ish years ago. The sad (and a little embarrassing) part is that after an initial reaction of “what?! That’s ridiculous!” I actually believed it.

I don’t find things head scratch-y, more eye roll worthy. There are some days that my eyes actually ache because I roll them so much looking at Head-Fi. That’s probably a sign I should spend less time here.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 294
It stands for Pace Rhythm and Timing. Those are all things that involve speed and syncopation. Of course none of that has anything to do with digital audio because the timing of a digital audio file playing back is damn near perfect. And pace and rhythm are aspects of the musicality of the performers, not the mechanical reproduction of the sound. It's a dumb term anyway you look at it.

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 294
It stands for Pace Rhythm and Timing. Those are all things that involve speed and syncopation. Of course none of that has anything to do with digital audio because the timing of a digital audio file playing back is damn near perfect. And pace and rhythm are aspects of the musicality of the performers, not the mechanical reproduction of the sound. It's a dumb term anyway you look at it.
Can you explain how they involve syncopation?

Sep 29, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 294
Rhythm is patterns of timing. Syncopation is a kind of rhythm.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 294
PRaT is boloney. It’s a meaningless word made up to describe the placebo effect.

Digital audio doesn’t have audible timing problems. It’s the most accurate sound recording medium ever created when it comes to timing.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 294
It involves both timing and rhythm.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 294
A syncopation is a specific rhythmic event.
image.jpg

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 294
Yes.

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 294
I think most reviews are written by PRaTs :thinking:

I've noticed that a lot of people talk about how a different metal casing changes the sound on DAPs (particularly A & K models).

I scratched my head until it bled :head_bandage:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 294
Lots of things make me scratch my head. At the top of the list would be how people describe what they hear using words that have nothing to do with music or sound. Or saying something sounds better but they can't describe why. Ok, sure I get it if you are just some joe blow off the street or a newb like me. However if you are a "trained" listener or a professional reviewer I would hope like heck you would be able to describe what you hear different in terms the average person can understand.

And then you have the obvious things like power cables, cable lifters and using 10 ga wire for a 3 foot cable run.

Or a response I just received today in a thread.
"Some systems are so resolving that you will definitely hear an extra cable and switch. I suspect you've never owned such a system. I don't intend to say any more on this topic."

Spoiler alert, more was said after my response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back