Blue Announces Ella, Sadie and Satellite Headphones @ CES 2017
Jan 6, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #16 of 327
50mm by 50mm planar membrane

Sounds like yet another retread of the Fostex planar driver. Feh if so.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #18 of 327
I'm just going by the measurements of the drivers.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #19 of 327
Sounds like Blue really listens to their customers. I guess a lot of ppl said the MoFi & Lola were too uncomfortable to wear (I didn't think the Lola was uncomfortable though), so they made some changes (scroll down to Blue section). I definitely respect and support any company that pays attention to its customers. Maybe not always, but USUALLY the customer IS typically right. Especially when it comes to comfort. lol

I will try and post an update once they have it put up (next week) if I see one. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #20 of 327
Sounds like Blue really listens to their customers. I guess a lot of ppl said the MoFi & Lola were too uncomfortable to wear (I didn't think the Lola was uncomfortable though), so they made some changes (scroll down to Blue section). I definitely respect and support any company that pays attention to its customers. Maybe not always, but USUALLY the customer IS typically right. Especially when it comes to comfort. lol

I will try and post an update once they have it put up (next week) if I see one. 

Interesting. Would love to see your update when it's available. I'm so intrigued by these. The only thing I heard was that there will be less hinge points and no tension wheel, like the Lola's.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #21 of 327
Interesting. Would love to see your update when it's available. I'm so intrigued by these. The only thing I heard was that there will be less hinge points and no tension wheel, like the Lola's.

Sure. If I come across one, I'll post it here. 

Well if making those changes made them even more comfortable, then it was the RIGHT way to go IMO. 

Yeah, they are interesting. I'm a HUGE AKG fan, and have tried =407991]several other headphones as well. But to me, the Blue headphones (Lola to be specific) are the only ones that really captured the same high quality "magic" sound that I've become accustomed to hearing from the AKG K55X series. One very important quality they BOTH have in common is a wide vast soundstage, which is something several other MORE expensive headphones couldn't offer up. You can't "custom EQ" a bigger soundstage. lol 

And I for one think they look AWESOME and NOT ugly at all. And I'm not even a NASCAR fan! 
k701smile.gif

And I do like these newer Blue headphones' look a bit more than the earlier ones (i.e. grill cover). 

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #22 of 327
Sure. If I come across one, I'll post it here. 

Well if making those changes made them even more comfortable, then it was the RIGHT way to go IMO. 

Yeah, they are interesting. I'm a HUGE AKG fan, and have tried several other headphones as well. But to me, the Blue headphones (Lola to be specific) are the only ones that really captured the same high quality "magic" sound that I've become accustomed to hearing from the AKG K55X series. One very important quality they BOTH have in common is a wide vast soundstage, which is something several other MORE expensive headphones couldn't offer up. You can't "custom EQ" a bigger soundstage. lol 

And I for one think they look AWESOME and NOT ugly at all. And I'm not even a NASCAR fan! :k701smile:

And I do like these newer Blue headphones' look a bit more than the earlier ones (i.e. grill cover). 

That sounds great. I've never heard an AKG headphone but have heard good things about them. I couldn't resist any longer so I've ordered the Ella's. They're supposed to be here next week so I'll definitely post impressions then. I've never heard any of the previous Blue headphones but I also highly value an expansive soundstage, so I'm glad to hear that you thought the Lola's had that.
As far as the look, I could care less either way. I'm more interested in sound, comfort, and function. If people think I look goofy, I'm ok with that :grinning:

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #23 of 327
That sounds great. I've never heard an AKG headphone but have heard good things about them. I couldn't resist any longer so I've ordered the Ella's. They're supposed to be here next week so I'll definitely post impressions then. I've never heard any of the previous Blue headphones but I also highly value an expansive soundstage, so I'm glad to hear that you thought the Lola's had that.
As far as the look, I could care less either way. I'm more interested in sound, comfort, and function. If people think I look goofy, I'm ok with that :grinning:

Well you should check them out. If you want closed-back, get the ones I have........the AKG K551. Don't worry about that garbage about in-line remotes causing distortion either. Total BS. The other K55X series 'phones come with 10' cables, where the K551 has a 4' one which is MUCH more convenient. The K550 is considered the most popular of the bunch though as it was the original. As far as I'm concerned, they both sound EXACTLY the same. 

If you want open-back, then either K612 Pro or the slightly better K702 (Note: ALL these AKG ones have fixed cables except the K702) will do nicely! akg fanboy can answer ALL your questions as he is the REAL expert here. lol 
L3000.gif

Nice! I'd like to read about them. If I was to get one of the two, it'd be the Sadie. I had the Oppo PM-3 planar magnetic headphones, and despite all the great reviews they got, I honestly didn't feel there was any difference with them being PM, but that's just me. Blue's could be different though? 

Yeah...... the Blue Lola's soundstage (like AKG's) was EPIC! Definitely one of the most impressive headphones I've ever tried, and Lola is passive too, so NO built-in amp either. 

Haha that's cool. I don't really care either. Maybe a little, but not a lot. Some (not all) ppl think the AKGs are big, but I don't. At least not the K55X series (I've had ALL 4 VERSIONS ((K550, K550 MK II, K551, K553)) of this series at one time or another). The open-back ones are a tiny bit bigger. I DO remember one time (akg fanboy, read this lol) on the Metra train the one conductor guy saw me with the K550 MK II (or K553?) on my head, and he goes "Man, those are some HEAAAAAAAAAADPHONES!!" ROFLLL I kinda laughed too cuz of how he said it (was nice, not rude), then he goes "No man, those look really nice." I go "Thank you. They sound really great too." Good times!! LOL

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #24 of 327

Well you should check them out. If you want closed-back, get the ones I have........the AKG K551. Don't worry about that garbage about in-line remotes causing distortion either. Total BS. The other K55X series 'phones come with 10' cables, where the K551 has a 4' one which is MUCH more convenient. The K550 is considered the most popular of the bunch though as it was the original. As far as I'm concerned, they both sound EXACTLY the same. 

If you want open-back, then either K612 Pro or the slightly better K702 (Note: ALL these AKG ones have fixed cables except the K702) will do nicely! akg fanboy can answer ALL your questions as he is the REAL expert here. lol 
L3000.gif

Nice! I'd like to read about them. If I was to get one of the two, it'd be the Sadie. I had the Oppo PM-3 planar magnetic headphones, and despite all the great reviews they got, I honestly didn't feel there was any difference with them being PM, but that's just me. Blue's could be different though? 

Yeah...... the Blue Lola's soundstage (like AKG's) was EPIC! Definitely one of the most impressive headphones I've ever tried, and Lola is passive too, so NO built-in amp either. 

Haha that's cool. I don't really care either. Maybe a little, but not a lot. Some (not all) ppl think the AKGs are big, but I don't. At least not the K55X series (I've had ALL 4 VERSIONS ((K550, K550 MK II, K551, K553)) of this series at one time or another). The open-back ones are a tiny bit bigger. I DO remember one time (akg fanboy, read this lol) on the Metra train the one conductor guy saw me with the K550 MK II (or K553?) on my head, and he goes "Man, those are some HEAAAAAAAAAADPHONES!!" ROFLLL I kinda laughed too cuz of how he said it (was nice, not rude), then he goes "No man, those look really nice." I go "Thank you. They sound really great too." Good times!! LOL

I agree with shure and I couldn't really be bothered with looks like I have mentioned before lol. I would wear a jecklin float in public if that meant I was getting the greatest sound ever lmao. It's cool to see an average bystander appreciate the design of the akgs, for some reason why I thought they were incredibly beautiful and  the best looking closed back when I first got them but I don't think so anymore, probably got used to them. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 327
  I agree with shure and I couldn't really be bothered with looks like I have mentioned before lol. I would wear a jecklin float in public if that meant I was getting the greatest sound ever lmao. It's cool to see an average bystander appreciate the design of the akgs, for some reason why I thought they were incredibly beautiful and  the best looking closed back when I first got them but I don't think so anymore, probably got used to them. 

I guess I'm just lucky at least when it comes to AKG cuz I think they're the best looking headphones AND they just happened to be my favorite sounding too. The Lola came VERY close as you may have seen in my review that I'd posted a link to earlier. But both akg and I speculate that with the right custom EQ, the Lola may in fact MATCH the mighty AKG K55X series (or even outdo it??!!!) with regards to sound quality. 

I still find their style to be very appealing (AKG's). For the price they charge, they give you headphones (like the K55X series) that appear to be MOSTLY metal, and sound amazing too. I think the Blue's prices are pretty fair too. $250 for the Lola is acceptable to me, and $399 for the brand new Sadie with built-in amp is also acceptable, esp if the amp is strong. To determine this, I see that the Sadie's output volume power is 240mW, while my Oppo HA-2's (amp/DAC) output power is 220mW into 32 ohms.............not sure if the Sadie's 240mW is for 32 ohms, but should I just assume so? Any ideas anyone?! lol

If the 240mW IS ALSO into 32 ohms, then I guess the amp on the Sadie is actually a TINY bit stronger than my HA-2's. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #26 of 327
I guess I'm just lucky at least when it comes to AKG cuz I think they're the best looking headphones AND they just happened to be my favorite sounding too. The Lola came VERY close as you may have seen in my review that I'd posted a link to earlier. But both akg and I speculate that with the right custom EQ, the Lola may in fact MATCH the mighty AKG K55X series (or even outdo it??!!!) with regards to sound quality. 

I still find their style to be very appealing (AKG's). For the price they charge, they give you headphones (like the K55X series) that appear to be MOSTLY metal, and sound amazing too. I think the Blue's prices are pretty fair too. $250 for the Lola is acceptable to me, and $399 for the brand new Sadie with built-in amp is also acceptable, esp if the amp is strong. To determine this, I see that the Sadie's output volume power is 240mW, while my Oppo HA-2's (amp/DAC) output power is 220mW into 32 ohms.............not sure if the Sadie's 240mW is for 32 ohms, but should I just assume so? Any ideas anyone?! lol

If the 240mW IS ALSO into 32 ohms, then I guess the amp on the Sadie is actually a TINY bit stronger than my HA-2's. 

The only thing I know about the Blue internal amp is that they supposedly hired Fiio to design it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #27 of 327
The only thing I know about the Blue internal amp is that they supposedly hired Fiio to design it.

Oh SNAP, really? lol

I love FiiO's amps! I've owned the E6, E11k (now known as the A3), and was keeping the newer and better A5 open as a backup purchase option in case my next smartphone's DAC measures up to my Oppo's quality standards but the amp DOESN'T. Very interesting. Thx for sharing shure!

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #28 of 327
Oh SNAP, really? lol

I love FiiO's amps! I've owned the E6, E11k (now known as the A3), and was keeping the newer and better A5 open as a backup purchase option in case my next smartphone's DAC measures up to my Oppo's quality standards but the amp DOESN'T. Very interesting. Thx for sharing shure!

Anytime!

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #29 of 327

Brand new interview article with the CEO of Blue. Good read. 

In one portion of the interview, he confirms the FiiO partnership, but also confirms that it was a one-time thing: 

At first, Blue partnered with popular headphone amp company FiiO on the tech for Mo-Fi. Since that first model, Blue has been working on its own amplifier components and those debuted this week. "Now that we've had a few years of experience, we're actually developing our own amps," Maier said. "In fact, Ella has a power amp we think is an improvement over the original Mo-Fi amp."

The more I read about Blue and their venture into the headphone arena the more I like them. They bring something special to the table, which I can't really say about most headphone companies, even most of the "good" ones. 

I think it would be interesting if they tried their hand at the open-backed headphone segment of the business. I'm not saying I would buy it necessarily, but I bet it would be something special to say the least. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 327
Brand new interview article with the CEO of Blue. Good read. 

In one portion of the interview, he confirms the FiiO partnership, but also confirms that it was a one-time thing: 

[COLOR=2B2D32]At first, Blue partnered with popular headphone amp company FiiO on the tech for Mo-Fi. Since that first model, Blue has been working on its own amplifier components and those debuted this week. "Now that we've had a few years of experience, we're actually developing our own amps," Maier said. "In fact, Ella has a power amp we think is an improvement over the original Mo-Fi amp."[/COLOR]

The more I read about Blue and their venture into the headphone arena the more I like them. They bring something special to the table, which I can't really say about most headphone companies, even most of the "good" ones. 

I think it would be interesting if they tried their hand at the open-backed headphone segment of the business. I'm not saying I would buy it necessarily, but I bet it would be something special to say the least. 

Wow! What an awesome find and post. Thanks for the info. I've never heard the Mofi but a lot of people like it and say the amp was good. If they've improved it even more with their latest headphones, then that's a great bonus to us consumers.
I really like what Blue is doing, too. They're not just repackaging existing technology, they're trailblazing and setting new trends. They're doing what Apple used to do a long time ago. Thanks for the great read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back