Bluetooth adapter or headphones to use with iPhone for *calls*
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MonoJon

100+ Head-Fier
All,

My partner complains on the microphone on her IEMs with inline mic cutting out during conference calls on her iPhone 8. She wants to get bluetooth headphones so that she can continue to delay upgrading her phone.

Questions: Is the TRRS configuration on iPhone 8 jack actually compatible with most cheap IEMs with inline mic? My brief internet research indicates that the iPhone and most IEMs follow the CITA standard with microphone on the sleeve. Is this right?

What is a good, simple to use, inexpensive, set of bluetooth IEMs or a bluetooth converter with a good mic for making calls (and supports AAC)? ES100 will be too complicated for her. I saw that the Shanling UP2 advertises a Knowles SiSonic mic for "cleaner calls". Is this the best option, or is there something even simpler with a good mic?

Thanks!

~ Jon

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 5
iPhone 8 does not have a headphone jack do you mean a 6 which is the last iPhone to have a jack?

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 5
iPhone 8 does not have a headphone jack do you mean a 6 which is the last iPhone to have a jack?

Yes, I must mean iPhone 6. I have little knowledge of Apple products other that that they are overpriced and compatible with few common technological standards, thus I do not use them.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Most all of the inexpensive iems I’ve had worked with my 6 with no problems for calls even with the dongle on the 7 they work as well. For Bluetooth I’m not sure I only have full sized ones that I just use for travel and have not used them for phone calls and a cheap KZ adapter that also worked with calls fine but short battery life like 4 to 5 hours. I also have a Shure Bluetooth adapter for MMCX but it is not what I would inexpensive but have not yet tried a call on it but does sound pretty good and bigger battery life .

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Most all of the inexpensive iems I’ve had worked with my 6 with no problems for calls even with the dongle on the 7 they work as well.

Thanks, that's what I thought. It may be that her headphone jack is dirty or something, but she seems to think that it is "worn out". I will try cleaning out the jack, but I may end up ordering an older Sony SBH24 bluetooth headphone set for her, as I can see that there are some NOS ones on eBay. That should be sufficient and it supports AAC. The mic quality might not be great, but she will probably be happy with anything that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back