Bookshelf speakers and sub for $1200
May 11, 2015 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vocalstrance

100+ Head-Fier
I need help in understanding what might fit my needs. I want to replace the speakers(rockford fosgate 6x9) in my bedroom(12' x 16'). I live in an apartment. When my order from Schiit arrives, it will be powered by the Ragnarok. I have limited room to place them and not ideal positioning either. I want some speakers though that I can listen to some electronica, pop, and female vocalists(Joanna Newsom hits a high pitch). Can I do my music justice with a set of awesome bookshelf speakers, or should I get a sub as well and lower my price on the speakers so that I can have a balance of both worlds?

May 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Ragnarok would not be my choice for powering speakers for a speaker/sub setup if you want to use a higher crossover than the low end roll off of the speakers. Some subs have built in high pass filters for 80hz. So you run the signal to the sub, and then from the sub to the speaker amp to take advantage of that. Doesn't work with the Ragnarok.

May 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Here are some bookshelf/monitor speakers you might consider with deep bass extension: http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonitor.html

May 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 7
  I need help in understanding what might fit my needs. I want to replace the speakers(rockford fosgate 6x9) in my bedroom(12' x 16'). I live in an apartment. When my order from Schiit arrives, it will be powered by the Ragnarok. I have limited room to place them and not ideal positioning either. I want some speakers though that I can listen to some electronica, pop, and female vocalists(Joanna Newsom hits a high pitch). Can I do my music justice with a set of awesome bookshelf speakers, or should I get a sub as well and lower my price on the speakers so that I can have a balance of both worlds?

As you live in an apartment, do you think you will even be able to use a sub-woofer, without disturbing those that live around you?

May 23, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 7
I ended up getting the B&W 608 and 685. I always have the subwoofer on, but it is at a level that is over powering, it just produces the bass that should be there, and being such a small sub it works great in my bedroom. I brought the 685's out to the living room, and they are just too small for the space by themselves. Back to the bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back