Boomphones worth it?
Mar 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Mike96

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking of starting a headphone collection slowly, but surely. They seem interesting in terms of the external speakers. I hear they are not bad, but i wanted some more opinions and i thought i might find a review here after using this website previously before i bought V-Moda's Crossfade M-80s. Since their aren't any i was wondering if anyone could still tell me more about them and maybe compare them to other headphone brands like Beats, V-Moda, Bose, Sennheiser, etc.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 34
I was thinking of buying them because they were interesting but when would you need that?
Get HQ headphones and an x-mini speaker if you want loud crappy portable audio.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 34
I looked up some reviews a year ago and remember seeing it do not so favorably even amongst non-audiophiles.
Unless you're getting them for like 50-80$ then I'd probably pass.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
I looked up some reviews a year ago and remember seeing it do not so favorably even amongst non-audiophiles.
Unless you're getting them for like 50-80$ then I'd probably pass.

What about for $112 with shipping from this guy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOOMPHONES-DJ-HEAD-PHONES?item=320853189567&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6794580694066120750

In the event he should have more when i can buy a pair, are they still worth it?

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 34
I know they're not the best sound quality but I mean they're still pretty good for starter at least. I mean I know sennheiser, and other companies like bose even make better headphones even for the price. But I just loved the features on it and I heard they were super comfortable. Plus I mean they were only $112 total brand new. And I know it will be a definite step up from my skullcandy right now. I just liked them and I figured it wasn't a bad place to start. I almost bought a v-moda lp used (but only once or twice according to the ad) off ebay for about $40. Almost. But then I bought these. I'll be getting them this week and I can post my review about them maybe. But I also just joined this forum now simply because I wanted to respond to this thread hahah. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 34
-BoomPhones Review-

Alright so I figured If anyone was looking into these and came across this thread I thought I'd post a review of these BoomPhones. This is going to be very in depth just a heads up and I may ramble on a bit, I don't know, read it all if you have the time though. 

So I just got these yesterday so I haven't had too much time to look at them I guess but I have pretty much worn them nonstop since I got them (I'm wearing them right now). Here's my thoughts on the headphones though. To start, they are a bit bigger than I thought but they pretty much have to be to have the four speakers in them. I knew they would protrude a little bit on the muffs but the whole band and everything sticks out just as far as the muffs which isn't that big of a deal, yes they do stick out a bit but I mean it's not crazy or anything. However, I will say from the reviews I've seen with people wearing them and letting other people at my school wear them they aren't that big, for some people though it's different (like myself they're really big) When I saw other people wearing them they're still a bit big but really not a big deal, on me though they are actually really big and that may be a problem for some people, that's the number one thing I hate about these. Now, besides the size thing, they look amazing. When you have them on your neck they look legit straight up with the leds and everything, on your head they're pretty good too (unless you're like me where they look huge haha, they still look good on your neck) I mean I got soo many head turns at school with the white leds on wearing them around my neck and even more after I turned on the outer speakers and the red leds and music kicked in. People at my school love them. I mean I'm they only person at my school with led headphones, and one guy in one of my classes mentioning how he wasn't going to wear his big headphones anymore because mine were just ****ting on them hahah, he said no one else can where big headphones now, at the time there was someone else in my class with beats studios on too which says a lot as far as looks go. And then once I showed them how you push the button and the red leds turn on and the music starts playing out, needless to say everyone the room looked and everyone loves them. My friends asked me if I paid like $500 dollars for them and after I said I only paid $99 he was like, "only $399??" So as you can tell people love the looks and the functions of them and they're nothing else like them as far as that goes. On to the sound quality, they aren't the best.. but that's kind've a throw for the functions. The bass is good the solos actually have more bass I think but it's overwhelming and not good, these have a much nicer bass. But, if you're a total basshead and you want tons of bass (More than whats good if you ask me) then these might not live up to your expectations, these personally are a lot better though its a very good controlled bass. Now the main thing about the sound that gets me is they're a little bit flat, so unfortunately the hiphop setting for eq on my ipod as well as most eq settings, doesn't cut it, I would say for the best overall setting the R&B eq is best. However, if you really want to up it so it's not nearly as flat then choose the treble booster setting that's what I have going most of the time. The outer speakers now are pretty dang good they don't "boom" like a boombox they're not that loud but they are plenty loud I only leave at like half volume when I'm walking the halls and they will fill any room with good sound just like a small ihome system. Next thing is how comfortable they are, let me tell you, they are VERY comfortable one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, still though after a few hours your ears will get red and become a little sore nothing ten minutes of air won't fix. Because they are so big and have as much comfortable padding as they do, they can be a bit hot. Durability, these are VERY durable and of course they come with that case but I mean these are built x10 better than beats and a lot better than some other brands I just used beats because of how common they are. Noise cancelling, these are not noise cancelling headphones, but they do surprisingly well I mean I have a pair of actually noise cancelling sennheisers and they don't do **** compared to these. So there it is my review I know its long but if you read all of it I really hoped it helped you if there's anything I left out just post and I'll let you know.

-Below is the Basic Review-

Review is based on headphones in the price range

Durability: 10/10
Sound Quality:
  Inner Speakers: 7/10
  Outer Speakers: 10/10 (For what they are, basically a small iHome system type of speaker set up)
Comfortability: 9/10 (They only reason they lost the 10 is because of how hot they can get, which has nothing to do with the speakers, wires, etc getting hot themselves) 
Style: 10/10 (Unless you happen to have a smaller head, which you might, I didn't know I did lol. They will still look great on your neck, they'll just be really big on your head) 
Functions: 10/10 (LEDs & External Speakers)
Unique: 9/10 (I feel like they stole the red/black idea from Beats By Dre, but overall they took it and did better so.. doesn't really matter. They're basically ****tin on Beats)
Noise Cancellation: 7.5/10

-Bottom Line-

Are they worth buying? Yes. I only paid $112 total for these but that was a rare occasion. They normally cost $179.99. For me, if I didn't get the deal I wouldn't have bought them I don't think they are quite worth $180. Maybe just because I was looking for better sound quality. But here it is, if you can only afford one pair of headphones and these are $180, don't get them, if they are at some sort of deal price for around $100 get them. If you have a collection of headphones and can afford that then I would say go for them even if they are $180 they are definitely worth having, they'll be like nothing else you have in your collection. And with the LEDs and external speakers they know how to please you friends. I personally will be keeping these for when I'm hanging out with people but soon here I'm going to by something lower profile and better sound for when I'm just cruising through my classes.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 34

Quote:
-Below is the Basic Review-

Review is based on headphones in the price range

Durability: 10/10
Sound Quality:
  Inner Speakers: 7/10
  Outer Speakers: 10/10 (For what they are, basically a small iHome system type of speaker set up)
Comfortability: 9/10 (They only reason they lost the 10 is because of how hot they can get, which has nothing to do with the speakers, wires, etc getting hot themselves) 
Style: 10/10 (Unless you happen to have a smaller head, which you might, I didn't know I did lol. They will still look great on your neck, they'll just be really big on your head) 
Functions: 10/10 (LEDs & External Speakers)
Unique: 9/10 (I feel like they stole the red/black idea from Beats By Dre, but overall they took it and did better so.. doesn't really matter. They're basically ****tin on Beats)
Noise Cancellation: 7.5/10

Do you own many other pairs of heaphones in the same pricerange or are you just guessing?  It doesn't seem right to put these kinds of numbers up unless you're blind testing A/B with at least 5 or 10 other pairs to make a general sweeping claim that those headphones score numbers like that against other headphones in same price-range. 

I'm asking because there are some older headphones that have been replaced and their current market value is around $100 or less that I could *imagine* blow these out of the water. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 34
I appreciate you taking the time to review the Boomphones in your opinon KKees, but when you write a review its easier to read when everythings spaced out and not packed together. lol

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 34

Quote:

Sound Quality:

Where's the SQ score? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back