Boston Area Meets?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2021 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Pr3ssAltF4

New Head-Fier
Anyone know anything about Boston-area meets? Have they happened in the past? Is there any interest in holding one in the future? The next east coast Can-Jam is very far away, and people are getting vaccinated so figured it'd be a good time to ask.

Cheers,

Press

May 19, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 18
There has been some stuff in the past but nothing too often. Blink High End held a nice event when Sennheiser released the 660S and I remember seeing some events that happened more in Central Mass. Your best bet is definitely the next NYC Can-Jam but I would be down if anyone wants to do something in Boston before then.

May 19, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 18
I would also be interested in a Boston area meet. CanJam NYC 2022 is a long ways off but I'll definitely be attending.

May 19, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 18
I should be back up in RI in July and would be interested as well.

May 20, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 18
There has been some stuff in the past but nothing too often. Blink High End held a nice event when Sennheiser released the 660S and I remember seeing some events that happened more in Central Mass. Your best bet is definitely the next NYC Can-Jam but I would be down if anyone wants to do something in Boston before then.
The only store I haven't been to yet. Getting in contact with them has been painful. Was just in Goodwins and Hingham Audio Shoppe for some demos this last week.

Cool. I have no idea how to formalize stuff here or how to publicize it besides this thread though.

Apparently there's also this? https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2021

May 20, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 18
The only store I haven't been to yet. Getting in contact with them has been painful. Was just in Goodwins and Hingham Audio Shoppe for some demos this last week.

Cool. I have no idea how to formalize stuff here or how to publicize it besides this thread though.

Apparently there's also this? https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2021
How was the headphone selection at the Hingham spot and Godlodwins? Audio Lab in Harvard Sq has Audeze cans but I’m not sure they have been open during COVID.

May 20, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 18
How was the headphone selection at the Hingham spot and Godlodwins? Audio Lab in Harvard Sq has Audeze cans but I’m not sure they have been open during COVID.
Hingham Audio Shoppe doesn't have headphones, but they do have a couple headphone amps / estat amps. I actually took the Trilogy H1 home to demo this last week. Unlike the reports, actually a really good amp (though I'd have to get a Blue Hawaii or the equivalent in to validate that statement). I'm working with Paul there on my speaker setup right now. Great dude, highly recommended.

Goodwins has a headphone demo room which had a nice selection. I only got hands on with the Utopia, Clear, and Hekv2 but I also saw Elegias, HD800, LCD-3 (I think?), Aeons, and a few others. The amp they have for cans is the simaudio Moon, but I just tested off my QP2R as their streaming setup wasn't properly hooked up. They were pretty chill and I have a better idea about what I'd do if I go for high end normal cans at some point. I'll also probably go back to demo their ATC speakers. Definitely more of a speaker shop than a headphone shop though. I was able to literally walk in off the street and just demo the cans which was really cool. Don't think it works that way with the speakers though afaict.

FidelisAV in NH is also pretty good, but again, speakers not cans.

Oh yea, and if you like vintage or used speakers / stereo stuff at all, check out Holt Hill Audio in Lawrence. Brian's a cool dude and I own one of his custom built speakers.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 18
We seem to have a dearth of high-end audio stores in greater Boston that one can audition cans. I saw Goodwins (Waltham) but any others? In Metrowest, there's Natural Sound in Framingham, but not sure what their setup is like. Any thoughts/suggestions?

May 20, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 18
We seem to have a dearth of high-end audio stores in greater Boston that one can audition cans. I saw Goodwins (Waltham) but any others? In Metrowest, there's Natural Sound in Framingham, but not sure what their setup is like. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Natural Sound is pretty good, but they were limited to Clears / HD800 and below. Don't think there's anywhere to demo STAX, RAALs, Mysphere, Meze, D8000, etc.

The demo setup they had was a Jolida Black Ice amp with a fairly nice CD player attached. Dunno if it's changed, as I was last there like 6 months ago.

Blink High End in Cambridge works as well, but again, high end. I think they have Shangri-La Jr / Sr and the Sonoma M1.

Yea, nowhere to really demo a wide variety of cans afaict. Speakers on the other hand lol

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 18
There was previously a group of us that did a once a year (or so) meet. We've met in Nashua area last couple pre-covid meets, and Schiit even sponsored and send a big care package. Would be fun to get people together again.
I'd be very interested in a Nashua area meet, especially if Schiit sent along some demo gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back