Bought a phone but not sure it will be OK as a file-source.
Sep 18, 2020 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GreenBow

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought the Samsung Galaxy X-Cover Pro. Quite expensive for the specs, but it's a ruggedized phone; (long story).

Anyway I just thought to check the specs again, wondering about high resolution file playback. Then realised I may have made a mistake. This phone doesn't even have music software on it, or a list of file types that it plays.

No idea how I missed that. I think I got tired looking over phones and which to get, forgot for a while, and then just bought. Bought it based on the replaceable battery.

Anyway all might not be lost, and I never meant to use the phone for playing music on. I only meant to use it as a file-source. I searched and the internet did say that it supports OTG for playing files to a DAC.

This is my question then. If I buy and install UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro), will it send music files to my DAC. Or any file type at all. Or will the phone just not know what to do with audio files.

There are literally no specs for audio at on it:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover_pro-10001.php

https://www.samsung.com/us/business...laxy-xcover-pro-64gb-unlocked-sm-g715uzkdxaa/

I have not opened the phone. I could return it. However I want to keep it. I would prefer to use this phone for file source at home only. Then use my DAP for music on the move. This phone would be ideal for me if it meets the criteria I want with music files. Being if it will feed music file types like WAV, MP3, and FLAC, and high res music files to a DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Why do you think that it's different from other phones? With every phone you can play music from your phone to the Dap via the standard music player or via Uapp. In terms of sound quality it's the worst option imo and i wouldn't use it in a serious system. For a chord mojo it would be enough though.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 3
That's the question. It's because as far as I can tell, this phone doesn't even have a music player on it. I have read the manual, and it doesn't even appear to have a music folder. It does seem to have a video player though, so will have sound from layback. Plus it can read data from external sources so it must have OTG.

It's a rugged phone that is aimed at emergency services, not at the general public. However I wanted a rugged phone, and one with a replaceable battery. Hence I bought this one.

Yeah I would be using it to play music on Chord DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back