Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 6, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #3,496 of 5,212
I have PX8 and Bathys and like them equally so you'll be happy with either. PX8 better for use on the go and Bathys are better when wired for sure. Other than that it's just down to signature preference etc.
But.... The PX8 has a *very* different signature from the H95. I'd say the Bathys would be a closer match whilst sounding different the the H95. I've had all three of these over periods of time. Currently don't have the H95 anymore, but it's the one I really miss - nothing has ever come close to its sublime sub bass extension IMO.

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #3,497 of 5,212
based on the headphones i've mentioned above, does the PX8 bring something entirely different to the table that puts it far above those headphones?
I think the difference comes in the fact that the PX8 are more premium than all the other headphones on your list with the exception being the H95. The HP70, and I'm assuming you mean the NAD Viso HP70, is one of my all time favorites when it comes to wireless anc sound quality for the price. It's just very outdated at this point and can't compete with the likes of the PX8 and H95 when it comes to features.

I put the PX8 in the same category as the H95 when it comes to sound quality. It's sound is what I consider a more unique sound to the H95. Both are a tier below the Bathys and 5909 in sound to my ears, but better as an overall package. When compared to the H95, the PX8 is not as technically accurate. The tonality will be a matter of preference. Both have bass emphasis, just in different ranges. The PX8 has more emphasis in the mid to high bass frequencies. The H95 has more emphasis in the deep, sub bass frequencies. Overall, the bass is a little cleaner and more linear on the H95. The mids are more front and center on the PX8. Produces vocals better. There's more musicality in this range on the PX8. When it comes to treble neither are treble monsters, but the H95 has a little more extension and detail in this range. The PX8's treble is a little more relaxed and uneven. One thing you will notice immediately is that the PX8 goes louder than the H95.

I personally have no issues wearing the H95 out and about in public and actually use both the H95 and PX8 out and about quite often. Which I grab depends on what I'm wearing LOL.

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,498 of 5,212
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #3,499 of 5,212
I think the difference comes in the fact that the PX8 are more premium than all the other headphones on your list with the exception being the H95. The HP70, and I'm assuming you mean the NAD Viso HP70, is one of my all time favorites when it comes to wireless anc sound quality for the price. It's just very outdated at this point and can't compete with the likes of the PX8 and H95 when it comes to features.

I put the PX8 in the same category as the H95 when it comes to sound quality. It's sound is what I consider a more unique sound to the H95. Both are a tier below the Bathys and 5909 in sound to my ears, but better as an overall package. When compared to the H95, the PX8 is not as technically accurate. The tonality will be a matter of preference. Both have bass emphasis, just in different ranges. The PX8 has more emphasis in the mid to high bass frequencies. The H95 has more emphasis in the deep, sub bass frequencies. Overall, the bass is a little cleaner and more linear on the H95. The mids are more front and center on the PX8. Produces vocals better. There's more musicality in this range on the PX8. When it comes to treble neither are treble monsters, but the H95 has a little more extension and detail in this range. The PX8's treble is a little more relaxed and uneven. One thing you will notice immediately is that the PX8 goes louder than the H95.

I personally have no issues wearing the H95 out and about in public and actually use both the H95 and PX8 out and about quite often. Which I grab depends on what I'm wearing LOL.
Thanks for this reply and comparison of both the H95 and PX8. you're correct, I did mean the NAD Viso HP70. Such a great headphone, but crazy to think it's been around for 5 years or so already. Reading that comparison I was reminded of the frustration i had with the PX7, though It seems from reading what I have that the PX8 is a lot mor consistant in its tuning and it at least has a sound that is more or less cohesive. Would you say that is accurate?

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #3,500 of 5,212
Does aptx adaptive make a big difference over aptx?
Depends on who is listening. To my ears aptX Adaptive are both a step above plain aptX on the PX8 and the Bathys with more fine detail, harmonics and more extended treble. Basically quite a bit of nuances in the music are lost when going from aptX Adaptive to plain aptX. Adaptive is probably in the middle between wired USB and aptX for the Bathys. On the PX8 the implementations of HD and Adaptive are about even, with HD better in the mids while Adaptive is better in the treble.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #3,501 of 5,212
Depends on who is listening. To my ears aptX Adaptive are both a step above plain aptX on the PX8 and the Bathys with more fine detail, harmonics and more extended treble. Basically quite a bit of nuances in the music are lost when going from aptX Adaptive to plain aptX. Adaptive is probably in the middle between wired USB and aptX for the Bathys. On the PX8 the implementations of HD and Adaptive are about even, with HD better in the mids while Adaptive is better in the treble.
just for another opinion, how does the px 8 sound over USB vs aptx adaptive and aptx to your ears?

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #3,502 of 5,212
Thanks for this reply and comparison of both the H95 and PX8. you're correct, I did mean the NAD Viso HP70. Such a great headphone, but crazy to think it's been around for 5 years or so already. Reading that comparison I was reminded of the frustration i had with the PX7, though It seems from reading what I have that the PX8 is a lot mor consistant in its tuning and it at least has a sound that is more or less cohesive. Would you say that is accurate?
Correct. It's miles better than the PX7. Don't get me wrong, it still has some inconsistencies in the sound as most B&W Headphones do, but it's nothing like the PX7. I've never listened to the PX8 and thought, these sound horrible on this track, a thought I had quite often with the PX7.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #3,503 of 5,212
Correct. It's miles better than the PX7. Don't get me wrong, it still has some inconsistencies in the sound as most B&W Headphones do, but it's nothing like the PX7. I've never listened to the PX8 and thought, these sound horrible on this track, a thought I had quite often with the PX7.
Me too. I had the og PX7 and was quite disappointed. Sounded nothing like the good old P7W. With PX8 everything is more controlled and to my ears the best headphone B&W has produced to date.

Mar 6, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #3,506 of 5,212
okay that is good to hear. i had that thought often with the PX7 as well.

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #3,507 of 5,212
Is it not the case that the volume will decrease when using these with a phone though? I'm sure someone said this earlier in the thread.
Not sure about volume decrease, but I'm usually on 40 volume out of 150 on my phone using BTD600, and too loud for me to turn it up all the way.

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #3,508 of 5,212
just for another opinion, how does the px 8 sound over USB vs aptx adaptive and aptx to your ears?
USB and aptX HD has fuller mids than adaptive and USB has the treble resolution from adaptive along with a bit more of everything. USB is noticeably better and the bluetooth codecs can sound a bit "hard" and "processed" compared to running full resolution over USB. Dynamics, sound stage and imaging also benefits quite a bit from USB. This applies even more to the Bathys than PX8, but both are limited by bluetooth. They do sound good over bluetooth as well and when travelling or in the office I mostly prefer the freedom of wireless, but if they were my only headphones then I would wire them up to my PC or one of my transports over USB at home.

When using USB I've mostly connected Bathys and PX8 to a PC with Roon through a USB hub. Running Bathys in DAC mode from an iphone is not close to the quality I get through my PC so my iphone is most likely doing a bit of processing on the way to the headphone (source material is the same bit for bit with either rips or purchased downloads of full CD quality or higher). It is also possible that both headphones lack isolation on the USB port and need a cleaner source than a phone to perform their best. PX8 wasn't close to what I get from my PC either when trying it with USB from my ipad, which can deliver the power that the PX8 wants. The sound just sounds muddier, with less clean transients when using the USB output from IOS devices compared to what I can get from a PC or dedicated transport on all DACs that I've tried including PX8 and Bathys.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #3,509 of 5,212
USB and aptX HD has fuller mids than adaptive and USB has the treble resolution from adaptive along with a bit more of everything. USB is noticeably better and the bluetooth codecs can sound a bit "hard" and "processed" compared to running full resolution over USB. Dynamics, sound stage and imaging also benefits quite a bit from USB. This applies even more to the Bathys than PX8, but both are limited by bluetooth. They do sound good over bluetooth as well and when travelling or in the office I mostly prefer the freedom of wireless, but if they were my only headphones then I would wire them up to my PC or one of my transports over USB at home.

When using USB I've mostly connected Bathys and PX8 to a PC with Roon through a USB hub. Running Bathys in DAC mode from an iphone is not close to the quality I get through my PC so my iphone is most likely doing a bit of processing on the way to the headphone (source material is the same bit for bit with either rips or purchased downloads of full CD quality or higher). It is also possible that both headphones lack isolation on the USB port and need a cleaner source than a phone to perform their best. PX8 wasn't close to what I get from my PC either when trying it with USB from my ipad, which can deliver the power that the PX8 wants. The sound just sounds muddier, with less clean transients when using the USB output from IOS devices compared to what I can get from a PC or dedicated transport on all DACs that I've tried including PX8 and Bathys.
That's interesting, I hadn't considered that wired to a phone v pc could sound different. For me my Samsung phone and laptop sound the same when wired to my Bathys.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #3,510 of 5,212
That's interesting, I hadn't considered that wired to a phone v pc could sound different. For me my Samsung phone and laptop sound the same when wired to my Bathys.
Well, i just picked up the PX8 from Amazon, will be here Wednesday.
can't wait to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back