Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #1,306 of 2,023
Yes I think I'll get the P9's anyway as there sound signature is what I'm looking for I bet there a lot better balanced though but never mind I might be able to get them modded at Some stage

It only requires basic soldering skills a small cross head screwdriver a length of mini starquad cable 3.98mm diameter and a balanced termination of your choice plus solder and iron. Just be careful around the drivers. I had a look at the female 2.5mm input jack and It could be modified by cutting the ground in the middle but you've still got to open them up so goodbye warranty anyway so a re wire in my opinion is a better option.

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #1,307 of 2,023
Hi guys, relatively new here and was wondering how these sound compared to the Audeze Sines? I was pretty set on the P9s but a friend of mine let me try the Sines and I was pretty impressed. I can get the Sines for $300 and the P9s for around $600.. is it worth the extra cash? Or even worth the upgrade from what I have now?

Currently using NAD Viso HP50s, Sennheiser HD598cs, and Hifiman HE350s with LG V20 or MacBook Pro with Fiio E10k. For reference, I listen to a lot of grunge, punk, and alternative rock with some hip hop and classical thrown in as well. Thanks!

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,308 of 2,023
Hi guys, relatively new here and was wondering how these sound compared to the Audeze Sines? I was pretty set on the P9s but a friend of mine let me try the Sines and I was pretty impressed. I can get the Sines for $300 and the P9s for around $600.. is it worth the extra cash? Or even worth the upgrade from what I have now?

Currently using NAD Viso HP50s, Sennheiser HD598cs, and Hifiman HE350s with LG V20 or MacBook Pro with Fiio E10k. For reference, I listen to a lot of grunge, punk, and alternative rock with some hip hop and classical thrown in as well. Thanks!
Get the bwp9 better soundstage, bass, and clarity

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #1,310 of 2,023
Received my B&W P9's Friday and I can tell it's a special headphone. Sure the bass is elevated but it also has pinpoint imaging. I can hear when the drummer hits the bass drum. The P9's lets you feel the thump and let's you hear the natural decay of the bass drum in between attacks. I can hear when the drummer hits the top hat and the shimmer from it being hit. I can tell where the musicians are in space and hear them playing their instruments. The P9's are pros at extracting the micro details in the music and excel at doing it.

Voices sound natural to me out of this headphone and the P9's works well with all my amps. Teh P9's are very easy to drive.The Mojo completely controls the bottom end while the iFi Micro iDSD BL's 3D+ feature widens the soundstage without sounding like a gimmick. There's no need to add any kind of bass to the P9's. It already has it spades. I'm really enjoying this headphone. It's a very fun sounding headphone but it's still not as dynamic as my TH-900 MKII's.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,311 of 2,023
I've now owned the P9 for 5 weeks. For me, there is now no doubt that these are the best over ear headphones that you can buy for under $1,000 that can easily serve as a portable headphone.

Out of all the professional reviews I've read, the one the following link takes you to sums it up best. If you're thinking about buying the P9, read this review
https://www.whathifi.com/bw/p9-signature/review

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #1,312 of 2,023
I have had these since Dec, and use them as my daily drivers. Has anyone else's pair noticed the brown paint they use on the leather is wiping away. It's black underneath. And the stitching on the headband is coming up loose

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #1,313 of 2,023
I have had these since Dec, and use them as my daily drivers. Has anyone else's pair noticed the brown paint they use on the leather is wiping away. It's black underneath. And the stitching on the headband is coming up loose

What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. First of all, the P9 doesn't have any stitching on the headband. Second, the leather is of an extremely high quality. I find it hard to believe that they would have "paint" wiping away.

I've owned mine for 2 months now and use them heavily...every single day for at least 4 hours. Not a single blemish and the leather is great...better than when new because it's softened as it's broken in, as good leather always does. Can you please post pics so we can see exactly what it is that you're describing?

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #1,314 of 2,023
What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. First of all, the P9 doesn't have any stitching on the headband. Second, the leather is of an extremely high quality. I find it hard to believe that they would have "paint" wiping away.

I've owned mine for 2 months now and use them heavily...every single day for at least 4 hours. Not a single blemish and the leather is great...better than when new because it's softened as it's broken in, as good leather always does. Can you please post pics so we can see exactly what it is that you're describing?

hi sorry for the late reply and if I came across negatively.

heres my google photos link to the pictures of the P9

https://goo.gl/photos/Co57VZs1DKvuQQJj8

I was shocked that 700£ pair of headphones were dyed or painted myself. You were right about the stitching, its more the glue of the leather on the headband became unglued.
IMG_20170801_031058.jpg IMG_20170801_031108.jpg IMG_20170801_031115.jpg IMG_20170801_031119.jpg IMG_20170801_031123.jpg

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #1,317 of 2,023
hi sorry for the late reply and if I came across negatively.

heres my google photos link to the pictures of the P9

https://goo.gl/photos/Co57VZs1DKvuQQJj8

I was shocked that 700£ pair of headphones were dyed or painted myself. You were right about the stitching, its more the glue of the leather on the headband became unglued.

Thanks for posting pics. At first sight, those are shocking. But, after close inspection of the original pics, I think I have a pretty good idea as to what exactly happened to your leather.

If you look closely, there is no peeling. If the issue was painted leather peeling, we'd see ongoing peeling. There is zero peeling in those pics. I wonder...do you regularly clean the leather on your P9? It's not perfectly clear in those pics, but they look kinda dirty and dingy. Also, do you sweat in them often? If so, do you clean them immediately after?

B&W recommends frequent cleanings with a water moistened soft clean towel. I also use a very high quality leather conditioner once every 3 to 4 weeks to clean and condition the leather on my P9. Be careful what products you use though...the wrong ones can ruin the leather. I use the following:

Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner - Best Since 1882 - Cleaner & Conditioner - Restore Polish & Protect All Smooth Finished Leathers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CS8G3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jaBGzbJ05QSEZ

It's worked great so far, and it doesn't darken or discolor the leather, unlike certain other leather conditioners. I recommend trying to clean and condition your leather...the results may surprise you. That being said, I could be wrong and the leather could be permanently discolored. I hope not.

The headband coming apart is terrible. This doesn't help you any but I hope, for the sake of the rest of us, that yours is a dud and/or rough treatment, sweat, body oils, and lack of maintenance took a toll on the glue of your headband.

Either way, it can't hurt for you to contact B&W.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,319 of 2,023
I'm not sure why P9's aren't getting more love. These headphones are so good. I have them plugged into my Mojo along with my Denon AH-D7200's listening to Tidal Hifi through my iPad and I can't take the P9's off.

IMG_2389 (Edited).JPG

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,320 of 2,023
I'm not sure why P9's aren't getting more love. These headphones are so good. I have them plugged into my Mojo along with my Denon AH-D7200's listening to Tidal Hifi through my iPad and I can't take the P9's off.

You and me both. I don't get it. Certain people complain about the mid bass getting carried away...and some even claim it can get muddy. I heard just a hint of that when I first bought them when listening to poorly recorded music with very heavy handed bass, but never again once they had over 100 hours on them. The mid bass is powerful, but it does not overwhelm the mids or the highs. It is a powerful headphone, but neither the mids or highs are recessed in any way, so it is balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back