Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,787 of 2,912
Any idea why Apple is choosing not to put AptX into the iPhone?

Because they believe in a closed economy, and don't want to share profits with third party companies. They'd rather create their own bluetooth codec, so for now we just get AAC.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,788 of 2,912
Because they believe in a closed economy, and don't want to share profits with third party companies. They'd rather create their own bluetooth codec, so for now we just get AAC.

True.. But let's not forget that for a good while Apple actually had another good reason to do so. AAC used to (and still does) deliver somewhat better audio quality results at 256kbps than MP3 at 320kbps.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,789 of 2,912

While this is a popular commentary, it’s not quite accurate.

Yes, apple created AAC but Qualcomm created AptX. AAC is actually open source and just as performant as AptX.

Conversely, AptX is proprietary to Qualcomm and part of Qualcomm’s ecosystem. It takes licensing to implement while anyone can use AAC. AptX has much better marketing than AAC because it’s a profit center for Qualcomm and they’ve succeeded in pushing it very well.

All tech companies create their own integrated ecosystem. “Closed economy” isn’t descriptive of the model, however. In terms of third party profit, I do believe they sell quite a few third party devices and apps through their physical and software stores. Though, they abondoned the software licensing business when Jobs returned. Licensing was terrible for apple when They had 3rd parties building hardware with their software in the 90’s.

Anyway, as to them not implementing AptX, they design their own chips and would have to pay Qualcomm a fee on every phone sold if they wanted to add it. AAC is a perfectly fine alternative and doesn’t play into Qualcomm’s game. Also, Qualcomm is probably the more “evil” business with some of their practices.

The only bummer about apple & aac is that I wish more headphones supported the codec since it is open and so many devices in the hands of consumers use it as their best BT audio option.

In the sense of the quoted post, AptX is part Qualcomm’s “closed economy.”

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #1,792 of 2,912
Here is my review of the most popular headphones and possible recommendations based on my personal experiences as well as research conducted from speaking with many audio experts. My musical preference is a fun and engaging Sound Signature so therefore I am mostly listening to EDM, Hip Hop and Rock. If you listen to mostly Jazz and Classical music then you may not find this review very helpful.

Bass (low end) is important to add excitement and energy to your music and I will be referencing it early and often, however, it does not supersede SQ. That is above and beyond my number one criteria. All my personal testing has been done using Spotify Extreme on IPhone X. I have had access to these headphones anywhere from 1 week to 2 months, mostly through family members working in the consumer audio industry.

B&W PX – Not really sure who these headphones are designed for? They have a very neutral sound signature, worlds removed from their predecessor P7W (which has been my daily driver). I strongly disagree with B&W’s twitter statement that these are meant to replace the P7W; they are very different headphones. Their attempt to accurately represent music leaves them sounding dull and distant with little low-end bass to support consumer friendly music genres such as EDM, Hip-Hop and Rock. Their ANC feature is mediocre at best and reduces their SQ even more when activiated. There has been a non-stop barrage of software related issues, which has resulted in two firmware updates within two months of release. Structural design flaws create an uneven seal for most users further leading to reduction in audio quality. These are an experimental product from B&W and I have no doubt future generations will be coming out very shortly (1 year or less) to remedy these terminal and crippling flaws. In closing, I’ll leave you with a quote taken from a innerfidelity, an online leader in the Hi-Def. audio space regarding the PX: “In both noise-canceling modes and with noise canceling off, it sounded terrible colored and in differing ways. In the rush for bells and whistles they seem to have lost track of what counts.”

B&W P7W – These headphones have been some of the best ever made in the wireless headphone market. I was very surprised to hear B&W was discounting them in favor of the unproven PX. The sound is fun, energetic and exciting, with extra emphasis on bass that the majority of consumers crave. EDM, Hip Hop and Rock genres shine thought wonderfully in these headphones. You will look forward to picking these up every single time. While lacking ANC and other hi-tek gimmicky features, they have exceptional passive noise-cancelation; good enough for most day-to-day situations. Frequent travelers on very loud subways, trains and flights might want to consider other ANC options There are minor comfort issues with the leather headband that result in hotspots on the crown of your head, which may cause you to engage in semi-frequent readjustments from time to time. While I think they look luxurious, they can seem a tad flashy. Small price to pay with the phenomenal audio quality you receive in return.

Sony WH-1000XM2 – These are a decent option. The SQ is good, but not great. Low-end bass is there but not in a fun and exciting way. Sounds a bit flat to me with no real punch. More in a, yes we have it covered kind of way. The soundstage is large and distinct. The highs do not seemed recessed and compliment the other portions of the musical spectrum nicely. ANC is rock-solid and is on par if not better then Bose’s QC35II. However the bus stops there. I do not like the look of these headphones at all. And yes, I realize that looks are highly subjective, however, they do not have any stylish features that separate themselves from 20 dollar amazon headphones , the main material is plastic and feels very cheap. The product quality is once again not great. You just get the sense that these are not built to last, and that they could break at any time. They make the exact same crackling sounds that plagued their 1000 mdrx predecessor, when walking or even moving your head, which has been well documented. These crackling sounds infiltrate your earcups in a big way and make it extremely distracting and annoying to enjoy music let alone speech based podcasts . This is by far their greatest flaw.

Bose QC35II - Happy to report that Bose has finally listened to their customers and have added much needed low-end bass in their most recent reincarnation of the QC line. The low end bass is worlds better then the PX, marginally better then Sony’s and substantially under P7W. While made from the same cheap looking plastic as the Sony MX2, the QC35 look more stylish largely due to their overall much slimmer size and distinct cuts in the leather cups. Their ANC and general comfort is second to none. If you are frequently traveling on planes or just find yourself constantly in very loud situations, look no further. Unfortunately, their highly effective ANC technology renders a general reduction in SQ, which ultimately results in them not being very fun or engaging to listen to for longer periods of time. These headphones are strictly for those who prioritize ANC and comfort above everything else, namely SQ.

B&O H9i - Here is a great example of a company releasing a product with significant flaws (the original H9s), realizing their mistakes, and subsequently fixing them in a hurry. The H9s came out less then a year ago. This is what I predict will ultimately happen with the PX. These headphones however are not cheap. Weighing in at a whooping 500 USD, I can completely understand if people want to dismiss the H9i on price alone. This is definitely at the upper echelon of mainstream consumer headphones when it comes to cost. However, if you do decide to make the financial plunge, you will be rewarded in kind. These are currently my new favorite wireless headphones, which will replace my P7W. They main attraction here is that B&O has somehow managed to add a barrage of new features without degrading SQ…much. These headphones are what the PX should have been and are the natural successor to the P7W albeit from a different company. The low-bass is eccentric, with or without ANC. It is more balanced then the P7W and not as pronounced but thats not a bad thing here. B&O have managed to reduce the overall amount of bass from the H9s while retaining excellent and exiting SQ, something I have simply not seen in the wireless ANC arena. The highs are extremely detailed; the vocals are the best sounding I have ever heard in wireless headphones (yes, significantly better then P7W). These are exciting headphones, period. They look fantastic, and are not as flashy as the metallic P7W. The build quality is rock solid, with nothing feeling or looking cheap. Lack of a hard-shell carrying case however at this price point is mind-boggling.

So my recommendation is the H9i, IF and that’s a big if, it will not break your bank. Otherwise, buy or keep your P7W for at least another year until B&W steadies the sinking PX ship.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #1,793 of 2,912
Here is my review of the most popular headphones and possible recommendations based on my personal experiences as well as research conducted from speaking with many audio experts. My musical preference is a fun and engaging Sound Signature so therefore I am mostly listening to EDM, Hip Hop and Rock. If you listen to mostly Jazz and Classical music then you may not find this review very helpful.

Bass (low end) is important to add excitement and energy to your music and I will be referencing it early and often, however, it does not supersede SQ. That is above and beyond my number one criteria. All my personal testing has been done using Spotify Extreme on IPhone X. I have had access to these headphones anywhere from 1 week to 2 months, mostly through family members working in the consumer audio industry.

B&W PX – Not really sure who these headphones are designed for? They have a very neutral sound signature, worlds removed from their predecessor P7W (which has been my daily driver). I strongly disagree with B&W’s twitter statement that these are meant to replace the P7W; they are very different headphones. Their attempt to accurately represent music leaves them sounding dull and distant with little low-end bass to support consumer friendly music genres such as EDM, Hip-Hop and Rock. Their ANC feature is mediocre at best and reduces their sounding quality even more when activated. There has been a non-stop barrage of software related issues, which has resulted in two firmware updates within two months of release. Structural design flaws create an uneven seal for most users further leading to reduction in audio quality. These are an experimental product from B&W and I have no doubt future generations will be coming out very shortly (1 year or less) to remedy these terminal and crippling flaws. In closing, I’ll leave you with a quote taken from a innerfidelity, an online leader in the Hi-Def. audio space regarding the PX: “In both noise-canceling modes and with noise canceling off, it sounded terrible colored and in differing ways. In the rush for bells and whistles they seem to have lost track of what counts.”

B&W P7W – These headphones have been some of the best ever made in the wireless headphone market. I was very surprised to hear B&W was discounting them in favor of the unproven PX. The sound is fun, energetic and exciting, with extra emphasis on bass that the majority of consumers crave. EDM, Hip Hop and Rock genres shine thought wonderfully in these headphones. You will look forward to picking these up every single time. While lacking ANC and other hi-tek gimmicky features, they have exceptional passive noise-cancelation; good enough for most day-to-day situations. Frequent travelers on very loud subways, trains and flights might want to consider other ANC options There are minor comfort issues with the leather headband that result in hotspots on the crown of your head, which may cause you to engage in semi-frequent readjustments from time to time. While I think they look luxurious, they can seem a tad flashy. Small price to pay with the phenomenal audio quality you receive in return.

Sony WH-1000XM2 – These are a decent option. The SQ is good, but definitely not great. Low-end bass is there but not in a fun and exciting way. Sounds a bit flat to me with no real punch. More in a, yes we have it covered kind of way. The soundstage is large and distinct. The highs do not seemed recessed and compliment the other portions of the musical spectrum nicely. ANC is rock-solid and is on par if not better then Bose’s QC35II. However the bus stops there. I do not like the look of these headphones at all. And yes, I realize that looks are highly subjective. They do not have stylish features that separate themselves from 20 dollar amazon headphones , the main material is plastic and feels very cheap. The product quality is horrible. They make the exact same crackling sounds that plagued their 1000X predecessor constantly when walking or even moving your head, which has been well documented. These crackling sounds infiltrate your music and make it extremely distracting and annoying. This is by far their greatest flaw.

Bose QC35II - Happy to report that Bose has finally listened to their customers and have added much needed low-end bass in their most recent reincarnation of the QC line. The low end bass is worlds better then the PX, marginally better then Sony’s and substantially under P7W. While made from the same cheap looking plastic as the Sony MX2, the QC35 look more stylish largely due to their overall much slimmer size and distinct cuts in the leather cups. Their ANC and general comfort is second to none. If you are frequently traveling on planes or just find yourself constantly in very loud situations, look no further. Unfortunately, their highly effective ANC technology renders a general reduction in SQ, which ultimately results in them not being very fun or engaging to listen to for longer periods of time. These headphones are strictly those who prioritize ANC and comfort above everything else, namely SQ.

B&O H9i - This is what the PX should have been. This is a great example of a company releasing a product with critical flaws (the original H9s), realizing their errors, and subsequently fixing them in a hurry. The H9s came out less then a year ago. This is what I predict will ultimately happen with the PX. Lets start with their price. These headphones are not cheap. Weighing in at a whooping 500 USD, I can completely understand if people want to dismiss these on price alone. However, if you do decide to make the financial plunge, you will be rewarded in kind. These are currently my new favorite wireless headphones, which will replace my P7W. They main attraction here is that B&O has somehow managed to add a barrage of new features without degrading SQ…much. These headphones are what the PX should have been and are the natural successor to the P7W albeit from a different company. The low-bass is eccentric, with or without ANC. It is more balanced then the P7W and not as pronounced but thats not a bad thing here. B&O have managed to reduce the overall amount of bass from the H9s while retaining excellent and exiting SQ, something I have simply not seen in the wireless ANC arena. The highs are extremely detailed; the vocals are the best sounding I have ever heard in wireless headphones (yes, significantly better then P7W). These are exciting headphones, period. They look fantastic, and are not as flashy as the metallic P7W. The build quality is rock solid, with nothing feeling or looking cheap. Lack of a hard-shell carrying case however at this price point is mind-boggling.

So my recommendation is the H9i, IF and that’s a big if, it will not break your bank. Otherwise, buy or keep your P7W for at least another year until B&W steadies the sinking PX ship.

To me the PX sound a lot better than the original H9. I found the H9 to be a big dissepointment compared to the H8. Didn't like several things with the on ear H8. But really enjoyed the sound. But. My biggest problem with the H9 was that it was way to low in volume. Is this better in the H9i?
I also find that the PX has better bass and Soundstage. But I do have a problem with the sound leakage of the PX. So would really like to change back to B&O. But only if the volume issue is fixed.

And another thing regarding your opinions on the different sets. I've tried the PX on Samsung S7 edge (AptX), iMac (AptX) and IPad Pro. They sound much better on both the iMac and the Android phone then from the iPad. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,794 of 2,912
Reading this just convinced me to throw my PXes up for sale. Aesthetically they're worlds ahead of the P7W which they're supposed to be replacing, but comfort has taken a step back (not that the P7Ws were all that comfortable in the first place), and the sound quality...you have a point when you mention the PXes aren't supposed to replace the P7W at all, sonically speaking. It's a point that many have made in the earlier pages of this thread, hell, myself included. B&W has gone for an audiophile slant with the sound signature for these cans (at least with the Office ANC setting, or ANC completely off), and I think these just aren't for me. The PX sound wonderful on a desktop rig in a quiet environment, but outdoors, where it counts, they kind of fall behind the pack. Even the much-maligned-on-HF B&0 H9s perform well, IMHO, they're lighter, they fit better, ANC is inoffensive at best (as opposed to the PX mangling the sound signature whenever any effective ANC settings get enabled), and all that sloppy bass firms itself up once outside.

FWIW I'm holding onto my P7Ws. These are an absolute gem and you'd have to take these away from me over my dead body. Quoting FR quoting Innerfidelity, B&W did kind of lose the plot with the PX. They aren't a bad headphone by any means, and I'd be more than fine keeping these in case I don't find a buyer, but yeah, the PXes can't quite match up to the P7W. B&W certainly tried, but I wish they'd have retained at least a bit of the lively P7 sound, and have proper ANC.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,795 of 2,912
Shows you how personal preferences come into play. I don't agree at all with the characterizations of the PX being neutral as compared with the P7W. I owned the P7W and loved it, but I don't feel the PX is neutral, there is plenty of bass. There are times I almost think the bass could be toned down a hair, and I have owned the TH900, TH600, D7000, Z1R, Z7 and a few other bass centric headphones that I listen to loudly, like 85-95db with electronica so I'm no stranger to bass.

I will agree that comfort needs to be improved. The PX is neither comfortable, nor uncomfortable, it is just acceptable for me. I am going to give the PX another few days to see if I can accept the comfort level given the price. I have gone back to not being sure due to the comfort. Previously I thought it had been a non-issue, but I realize that I just wasn't wearing them long enough. To be clear, I find the PX to be on the cusp of slightly uncomfortable, and at the price point the PX lands in, I believe it really should be nowhere close to uncomfortable. It doesn't have to be plush mind you.

For clarification I take noisy public transit and I still don't care about or need ANC, sound quality is by far the most Important factor for me and I remain very impressed with the sound signature of the PX.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,796 of 2,912
For clarification I take noisy public transit and I still don't care about or need ANC, sound quality is by far the most Important factor for me and I remain very impressed with the sound signature of the PX.

I love my PXs for my commute in Toronto. I picked the PX because they had ANC, but I haven't spent much time with it turned on. The passive noise cancellation is great on it's own.

I have a trip to Florida and a trip to Korea in the near future, so I'll finally get to try them out on a plane. It'll be my longest sessions with them, but I'm hoping that I've broken them in enough by that point.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,797 of 2,912
The more I listen to the PX the more it is evident that this is not at all a bass light, or neutral signature headphone. It most certainly shares the P7W and P9 DNA and signature which is a headphone underpinned with strong and prominent bass. I just don't want people to pick this up if they are expecting a neutralish signature when in reality it is certainly more towards warm and musical. I really like the signature, but I do tend toward warmer signatures, certainly where portables are concerned as I use them out and about mostly.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #1,798 of 2,912
The more I listen to the PX the more it is evident that this is not at all a bass light, or neutral signature headphone.
Totally agree. With a proper fit and enough initial burn in, the PX have plenty of warmth and low end. In my experience, they only start to sound analytical/thin when they aren’t fitted properly.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #1,799 of 2,912
I totally agree with the positive comments about bass. The bass is amazing in these headphones, controlled and tight. I would go further and say it is a "sophisticated" bass and how it should be in general and I would not prefer it any stronger. More bass than this is artificial for me.

Moreover, this headphone has attack, if I could give a personal characterization I would say that it has a lot of "nevre" meaning a lot of underpinning dynamism. For the lower end I would not ask any more.

But in higher notes, (like the ones that the soprano in the Vivaldi piece performs and also when the organ comes into play) at least for my taste and in comparison with most of the other headphones I compared above, it lacks smoothness and delicacy by some degree. I would described as unsseessariry bright for my tastes (this last characterization is not against of all the other headphones mentioned above but against some of them). It may something that has to do with the upsampling and DSP modes I do not know but is really a shame because otherwise I would be so happy soundwise with this headphone.

And for the comfort I am also agreeing. When I ordered these I was pretty sure that I will give them to my wife and I will place a second order with the gray colour for me. But they are so uncomfortable for her this is out of the question right now. By far the most uncomfortable set in comparison with all other headphones mentioned above. I can use them but this needs to be addressed in future versions. Moreover, when I am in bed and I see a movie I cannot keep them in place i need to manage them all the time. And as numerous others have said before me, they leak sound, considerably more than my AKG Y50 for instance, and I do not see exactly the reason when they fit so perfectly around my ears. And in wired mode, they also pick up the ground hiss from my amp and valves like no other headphone I tested at home.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #1,800 of 2,912
Wearing glasses with them definitely reduces the bass response.

I find them pretty comfortable with or without glasses, but find myself hoping that they would release some thicker pads for them, like the P7W pads, which are amazingly comfortable, and thick enough that I don't find wearing glasses makes a difference to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back