Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,831 of 2,912
Just returned a pair which I owned for a month, really liked the sound which was dark but accurate but too many issues.
They cannot be used passively which is a big issue if the battery runs out, its too complicated for its own good (sensor plays up) and the last straw, wore them outside, it started to rain and they died!
Now where's my wired Audio Technicas?

I agree it would have been nice to include passive mode, since others (Bose, Sony) did it, but it is really not an issue. You would have run these for like 7 days straight to run out of juice.
Of course if you go out camping in the woods that could happen, but your source gonna die much faster than the PX. So you must have a powerbank to keep your source alive. But if you have a powerbank, then you can charge your PX as well.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,832 of 2,912
I agree Szmarci and they are such well made and beautiful sounding headphones, but just think.in terms of purpose they are not quite there.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,833 of 2,912
I agree it would have been nice to include passive mode, since others (Bose, Sony) did it, but it is really not an issue. You would have run these for like 7 days straight to run out of juice.
Of course if you go out camping in the woods that could happen, but your source gonna die much faster than the PX. So you must have a powerbank to keep your source alive. But if you have a powerbank, then you can charge your PX as well.

The reason it's an issue for me isn't so much the power use, but that running them from an already amped analog source causes loads of background noise, which I don't get on my P7Ws.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,834 of 2,912
Hey guys,

I wrote a review on these.

Link: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-bowers-wilkins-px-noise-cancelling-headphones

General conclusion:

Bowers & Wilkins' PX headphones present a smooth, detailed and mildly dark sound signature, and excellent build quality.

With noise-cancelling ability equal to the long-standing Bose benchmark, along with competitive pricing, I now have the answer to the original question:

When friends and family ask me which noise-cancelling headphones are the best buy, I can now quite easily recommend the B&W PX headphones.

In fact, I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a pair for myself. Yes, they are that good.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,835 of 2,912
I just tried them connected by bluetooth to my mac mini using Audirvana plus 3.2.5 as a source and they really sound great!!!
CD quality ripped Apple Lossless (Audirvana recognizes them as a DAC 24/44)
On the other hand ... if you listen directly from Deezer free for example, they sound like a can!!!
I correct ... I pressed the noise canceling button by accident, with the noise canceling deactivated is much better
What I do not like is that raising the volume through direct volume control does not warn you with a small sound every time you press it and tells you when it reaches the maximum (I hope Bowers Wilkins add it it in the next update)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,836 of 2,912
Hey guys, I bought my PXs in November and they've been working great so far. However last night I was listening to them (using 3.5mm as I normally do at home) when the right ear started cutting out. It sort of phased in an out for 5-6 seconds and then went silent. I've tried resetting using the button under the ear pad, have also tried using USB and Bluetooth modes, but the right ear is now 100% dead. I expect this type of fault from cheap $5 earphones, not a $500 premium headphone. Is this a known issue? Also anyone know what the consumer laws are in UK nowadays? Can I get a straight swap from the retailer as they are less than 6 months old? I have an 11 hour flight on Tuesday and really need them :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,837 of 2,912

I also suspect that in the next few years, we won't have aux jacks on our phones anyway (Not that I hope that's the case). Since I mainly use these with my phone, I'm happy being able to drive it via USB.

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #1,838 of 2,912
I also suspect that in the next few years, we won't have aux jacks on our phones anyway (Not that I hope that's the case). Since I mainly use these with my phone, I'm happy being able to drive it via USB.

To some extent, the audio-jack will not necessarily mean that wired connections will no longer be possible. The PX already demonstrates that by allowing a direct USB-C connection from a phone to the PX. And the PX internal DAC definitely bests the average built-in DAC found in most SmartPhones (save perhaps the LG V30's audiophile quad-dac)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #1,841 of 2,912
So I wanted to quickly warn glasses wearers to make sure they take them off before demo-ing the PX's. I've never had another pair of headphones that sounded so much worse with glasses on. I think its because the ear cups are as hard as crap so don't take the shape of the glasses and a big broken seal is the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back