Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Oct 28, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #452 of 1,463
Oct 29, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #454 of 1,463
So I realized that there's a ridge in my ear that is way more prominent in my left ear than my right, which is why it pushes against the left earbud but not the right. So all I have to do is get cosmetic surgery based on the shape of my earbuds.

Or you could pick a fight with Mike Tyson and hope for the best. Or would it be the worst?

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #455 of 1,463
Sucks to have something like that affect your enjoyment of an IEM. Any chance you can adjust how it sits in your ear to make it more comfortable?

BTW my review is no longer "naked" as I have added a few pictures. :)

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #458 of 1,463
So I realized that there's a ridge in my ear that is way more prominent in my left ear than my right, which is why it pushes against the left earbud but not the right. So all I have to do is get cosmetic surgery based on the shape of my earbuds.

I would also recommend trying to position it slightly different or even use a larger tip to make it sit a bit further out from your ear.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #459 of 1,463
Hello, long time lurker here.
Im interested to find out how do these compare to the Dunu DN-2000j. Are they comparable? Or do they sound very different?

I would barely compare them, as they are complete 180' opposite sound signatures in every sense - myself a former owner of the DUNU DN-2000J and having recently relistened. The DUNU are clear as a whistle, sweet and detailed sounding, yet to me very fatiguing with a sort of hyper analytical treble and bass response with a quite unnatural sounding stereo width (IMO), whereas the B400's are far more laid back, maybe not quite as extended, slightly darker, yet give much better isolation than the shallow insertion of the DUNU's.

I would recommending posting your preferred sound signature or an example of which head/earphones you like to get recommendations on which one would be good for your tastes.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #460 of 1,463
Hello, long time lurker here.
Im interested to find out how do these compare to the Dunu DN-2000j. Are they comparable? Or do they sound very different?
Quite different - the DUNU is quite the opposite in the treble and tuned for a bright, vivid, clear (however at times also somewhat edgy and even a bit sharp) upper end presentation.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #461 of 1,463
I would barely compare them, as they are complete 180' opposite sound signatures in every sense - myself a former owner of the DUNU DN-2000J and having recently relistened. The DUNU are clear as a whistle, sweet and detailed sounding, yet to me very fatiguing with a sort of hyper analytical treble and bass response with a quite unnatural sounding stereo width (IMO), whereas the B400's are far more laid back, maybe not quite as extended, slightly darker, yet give much better isolation than the shallow insertion of the DUNU's.

I would recommending posting your preferred sound signature or an example of which head/earphones you like to get recommendations on which one would be good for your tastes.

Quite different - the DUNU is quite the opposite in the treble and tuned for a bright, vivid, clear (however at times also somewhat edgy and even a bit sharp) upper end presentation.

Many thanks for both of your reply. Was considering to get a pair of B400s to replace the DN-2000J (cables damaged at the Y-splitter), but wasn't sure if it would be suitable, since they're still not out in the stores around my area, and I have no way of trying them out.

I started out with a pair of MEElectronics A151 and moved to the Shure SE215 SPE, and eventually got the DN-2000J as a blind buy. Still kind of new to this, so I can't really describe/ tell what my preferred sound signature is, but I like the clarity of the DUNU (controlled the sharp trebles with the comply tips). I also felt that the SE215 SPE is a little muddy for my tastes and would prefer a bit more trebles with it. On the other hand, the A151 was a little lacking in bass.

I also listen to a wide range of music, like pop, EDM, rock and acoustic covers, and I like it when I'm able to hear the different instruments in the music/song.

Not sure if these info will be helpful, but hopefully it'll be enough to know if the B400s would be suitable, or if I should look at other IEMs.:ksc75smile:

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #463 of 1,463
I'd disagree - and have fallen into the trap before thinking I knew an IEM before spending sufficient time with it. But I guess we all have our methodology and subjective leanings. All I know is that when I've rushed a review out, 8/10 times I end up changing it, and I'd like to think I have a little experience by now.

Re the review:

Personally the last thing I found was the bass to be slow or muddy - in fact its generally not a typical trait of BA's - they are usually a lot quicker with better transients (but suffer a little in dynamic impact).

I'm curious though - if the B400 is a 3.5 or 70% (still a good score), what at this value would get close to a 5? Or do you not take value into account when scoring (this is not a critique - I just want to understand your scoring methodology as its not articulated in the review)?

Also - with your imaging tests - what tracks do you use (I'd like to hear what you are hearing). I generally use the binaural track Tundra from Amber Rubarth - mainly because I've seen the making of it, and know exactly where the instruments are placed. I also use another one (Opera) from a recording of Netrebko and Garanca in Baden-Baden (I have the high res recording taken directly from the venue and also have the video). Again mating the video with the actual recording allows me to relate to the actual instrument positioning, relative positioning on stage, and even the depth (at one point the two singers retire to the back of the stage). The B400 passed all my tests with flying colours - actually quite precise and clear in its positioning (imaging). So if you can tell me how and what you tested - I'd be really interested - especially if I've missed something.

Off topic, but thanks for introducing me to Amber Rubarth. You are dead right on this being a great test track artist, just given a good half hour listening to her music

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #465 of 1,463
Just a update on those waiting on the preorder, we are expecting them to be in stock by Nov 10th at this time and will start to ship within a few days from that date.
Thanks for the update. I placed a new order last week after the last one got delayed & I ended up cancelling. I'm really looking forward to receiving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back