Brainwavz S1: Fortune Favors The Bold!
Sep 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
A bit of hyperbole, that title, but it does seem apt for the S1 earphones which have some bold styling, a bold sound, and I think they will be quite popular since they are easy to like.

I was sent one of the early samples. These are said to come in at the $60 price point. Thanks to Raz for the sample. I encourage at least 100 hours for the bass to flesh out and the treble to settle to it's final state.

View the S1 at http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/s1.html

Description(from the Brainwavz site)

The Brainwavz S1 use dynamic driver speakers housed in a all metal shell that have been tuned for a powerful bass, sweet vocals and accurate sound reproduction. The S1 use a flat cable and are worn over the ear for good sound isolation. No matter what style of music you listen to the S1 is suitable for any genre of music.
Wide frequency response, with good bass and vocals.
All metal housing in a over the ear design.
Flat cable for less tangle.
Comply foam tips included.

Specification

1. Drivers Dynamic, 10mm
  2. Rated Impedance 16 Ω
  3. Frequency Range 20Hz ˜ 24kHz
  4. Sensitivity 93 dB @ 1 mW
  5. Max Input Power 2 mW
  6. Cable 1.3m, Y-Cord OFC Copper
  7. Plug 3.5mm Gold Plated
  8. Fitting Over Ear Style

Contents & Accessories

1. Foam Tips Comply S-Series (x1)
  2. Silicone Tips Standard S,M,L (x6)
  3. Silicone Tips Bi-Flange (x1)
  4. Silicone Tips Tri-Flange (x1)
  5. Airplane Adapter x1
  6.   Hard Casex1
  7.   Manualx1
  8.   Warrantyx1 (12 Months)

Contents/Specifications subject to change without notification

My sample came with 10 pairs of tips, a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter, Brainwavz semi-hard zip case, and manual/warranty card. The tips include two types of silicone tips that vary in shape, silicone material firmness, and bore size which do sound different, a pair of Comply foams, and a pair of bi-flanges. Plenty of different sizes, shapes, and lengths for most to find a good fit! The accessories have changed a bit but will still be very good in both quantity and quality.

The bold design starts with all metal housings/sound tubes, a 4mm wide flat cable, overdone Y, reliefs, and plug. Big and beefy looking but not heavy. Bold choice on the color scheme including medium gray, gunmetal, and almost a light grape or berry trim color. Rich, strong colors but nothing flashy. Understated, no Monster inspired mirror finish or shiny bits all over.

The plug, Y, and reliefs seem to be a quality sneaker sole type of rubber. They can be physically manipulated and they will break in from stiff to more flexible if you bend them back and forth for a bit.

The Y is big and bold measuring in at a stout 1 and 7/8" long(including the slider) and 5/8" wide at it's widest. It is a 1/4" thick at it's thickest point. Just heavy enough to not bounce around but not heavy enough that you notice it.

The cables from the Y to the earpieces is a generous 16" so most people should find plenty of length even to go over the ear. Seems plenty of length to put the slider all the way up and make a necklace out of them to wear them while not in use if you so choose.

Designed from an over the ear first perspective, the S1 is actually one of the better I've come across for wearing both ways. Over the ear and straight down work well. I use them straight down 95% of the time and get an quick, easy, and comfortable fit. The housing shape, tapers larger toward the ear, and the size/angle of the reliefs seem to be trying to prevent deep insertion. This is good to help with driver flex, of which there is some over the ear(or longer tips) for me, and letting the phones breathe better. Too much seal and they can start getting too thick, obscuring detail. Thus, a shallower seal sounds better, eliminates flex, and is more comfy. The only possible downside is maybe wearing them down will require some to go to a longer tip or the next size larger since they don't fit quite as deep straight down. More a possible adjustment than a downside. Other than that they handle microphonics quite well. Even straight down is above average and using the slider kills nearly all. Wind noise is good as well though it can vary with tip choice. The only issue may be the flat cable being more rubbery feeling will grip a bit/snag some heavier fabrics. It handles the noise fine it may just grip and not smoothly slide over the material which can be annoying.

The sound is, like the design, big and bold. Rich, full, and with some good weight to the overall sound. A fairly large stage but quite forward overall presentation. A very slight U shape which is minimized since the whole sound is in your face. So, vocals are right there up close even if ever so slightly back in the mix. Extension is good both ways similar to other phones in its class that I have, the PCX 95 and VSD1. Details levels are again representative but some is hidden by the fullness of the sound. Can be brought out fully by amping provided your rig is above the inexpensive bass/volume boost kind. They appreciate a clean line out and some juice to gain their most articulation and some refinement yet keeping the charms of nice weight and richness.

Not amped they sound more "amped" then many other phones. They make my PCX95 sound flatter and more tame due to the S1's heft and coloration. The PCX in turn makes the VSD1 sound duller since it has more sparkle and liveliness. So, you have a good description of the S1; colored with a strong but well controlled low end, some treble sparkle, lusher but still clean enough mids and the whole thing is weighty and closer up, immediate and still lively enough that it's weight doesn't dull it or bog it down. It is unique set of sound traits and an enjoyable listening experience. Those who loved the Eterna, Silver Bullet type of phones may find another winner in the S1. They can make a great change of pace back up phone cause they have a more unique sound that you can enjoy regardless if you have a high end universal. They have a fun and immersive sound regardless of what you else you have on hand to listen to. 

Simply put, I think the S1 are a well built, uniquely styled, rich sounding phone that is a heck of a lot of fun in all aspects! Kudos to Brainwavz for something a bit more unique and different than past offerings!

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 66
Gud review. mind posting ur worthy comparison with VSonic VSD1? as VSonic claim VSD1 as younger brother of their flagship GR07 (VSD1 is 80% same characteristics as GR07).....so want to giv a shot. <Thx>

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 66
I would say the main points on the VSD1 vs. the S1are:

Both can use long run-in periods so you need a while with both.

S1 works better for me both ways wearing style. Neither is high isolating but the Vsonic wins out slightly on isolation probably due to the housing filling the ear more. VSD1 has no driver flex while the S1 gives some.

S1 has similar low end extension but better treble extension. More sparkle up top as well.

S1 has sweeter vocals that show more inflection and emotion than the VSD1. VSD1 are neither very sweet nor dry. Thinner and a bit cleaner sounding than the S1 but detail and resolving is close. Up to one's taste if you like your vocals thicker and sweeter or clean and more neutral/uncolored.

YMMV with how you fit them but the S1 can give slightly more texture and detail overall. Again, if you can fit them deeper than me and get the most seal and they thicken up more and obscure some of the detail then it can go the other way since it is close. I fit them both on the shallow side and the treble boost over the S1 helps. The S1 detail shows up late as well. 50 hours of burn in doesn't seem enough so you can't judge too early.

I hear the VSD1 with a slight midbass hump vs. the S1. The lowest lows, though not really lower, are just as strong on the S1 but start to soften or lessen on the VSD1 compared to the midbass.

The VSD1 with less treble peaks can sound more smooth. VSD1 presents somewhat further back also possibly making them seem a bit laid back when combined with smoothed treble.

There is not a big difference and the VSD1 is a very good phone but I think the S1 is a slightly better buy at it's price. It offers a more enjoyable sound with more emotion and less laid back, fits both ways, has more and better accessories, and even better build quality. The S1 has a bit of a glaze over the sound. Not syrup, just a glaze, because they are still clear and not slowed down vs. a VSD1 but they are just a bit thicker, sweeter, and still add some sparkle to be brighter. More up front and immediate makes them less laid back/slightly more aggressive then the Vsonic. They are different enough for me that I personally choose the S1 as the VSD1 no longer has the ability to hold my ear. I'll grab the PCX or S1 but the VSD1 I really don't have a taste for as much as I used to. 

Both claim mid tier performance. Raz said the S1 are mid tier. The CEO of Vsonic claimed 80% of the GR07. They both actually perform in that range but there is still a nice bit of performance in that last 15-20% that makes a GR07 right on the verge of top tier and the VSD1, and S1 fall short of. They still punch nicely above there price tags though. Just don't expect giant killers.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 66
  I would say the main points on the VSD1 vs. the S1are:

Both can use long run-in periods so you need a while with both.

S1 works better for me both ways wearing style. Neither is high isolating but the Vsonic wins out slightly on isolation probably due to the housing filling the ear more. VSD1 has no driver flex while the S1 gives some.

S1 has similar low end extension but better treble extension. More sparkle up top as well.

S1 has sweeter vocals that show more inflection and emotion than the VSD1. VSD1 are neither very sweet nor dry. Thinner and a bit cleaner sounding than the S1 but detail and resolving is close. Up to one's taste if you like your vocals thicker and sweeter or clean and more neutral/uncolored.

YMMV with how you fit them but the S1 can give slightly more texture and detail overall. Again, if you can fit them deeper than me and get the most seal and they thicken up more and obscure some of the detail then it can go the other way since it is close. I fit them both on the shallow side and the treble boost over the S1 helps. The S1 detail shows up late as well. 50 hours of burn in doesn't seem enough so you can't judge too early.

I hear the VSD1 with a slight midbass hump vs. the S1. The lowest lows, though not really lower, are just as strong on the S1 but start to soften or lessen on the VSD1 compared to the midbass.

The VSD1 with less treble peaks can sound more smooth. VSD1 presents somewhat further back also possibly making them seem a bit laid back when combined with smoothed treble.

There is not a big difference and the VSD1 is a very good phone but I think the S1 is a slightly better buy at it's price. It offers a more enjoyable sound with more emotion and less laid back, fits both ways, has more and better accessories, and even better build quality. The S1 has a bit of a glaze over the sound. Not syrup, just a glaze, because they are still clear and not slowed down vs. a VSD1 but they are just a bit thicker, sweeter, and still add some sparkle to be brighter. More up front and immediate makes them less laid back/slightly more aggressive then the Vsonic. They are different enough for me that I personally choose the S1 as the VSD1 no longer has the ability to hold my ear. I'll grab the PCX or S1 but the VSD1 I really don't have a taste for as much as I used to. 

Both claim mid tier performance. Raz said the S1 are mid tier. The CEO of Vsonic claimed 80% of the GR07. They both actually perform in that range but there is still a nice bit of performance in that last 15-20% that makes a GR07 right on the verge of top tier and the VSD1, and S1 fall short of. They still punch nicely above there price tags though. Just don't expect giant killers.

Nice effort and review (fair-enough comparison between VSD1 & S1)....
from your write-up I assume S1 is little dominating in the vocals(sweeter) and in the high's(sparkle) over VSD1s but yes not overpowering.fitwise also S1 takes the lead as it can be worn both ways...pretty surprising as 95% of the IEMs with long barrel like S1 sits comfortably wearing down(native style!) unless you use a earhooks. Regarding accessories I agree with you-S1 has better and very essentials like bi and tri flange,plane adapter....the very needy pouch/case to keep the cans safely, which VSD1 really sits far behind though they supply 4 foam tips. Hope Vsonic hear our voice and add those in the next manufacturing lot SOON.

Questions:
1) VSD1 have the swivable nozzle like it's elder brothers? (if so that might ease wearing down).
2) How bout the microphonics on VSD1 to S1?
3) Are S1 nozzles angled ones (I might be stupid and wrong but looks so from the pictures to my eyes)
4) Is the 6.3mm adapter a bonus? or you missed to write in the accessory list? the list also reads airplane adapter but picture
    shown(missing) little conflicting here. not an issue but just........(same with tri-flange - might be inside the case?)
5) how does the grey tips sound compared to the black ones? Did you audition those both?
    Because Meelectronics claim their grey ones as balanced eartips(bi-flange only) which they supply as stock ones with M9/M9P and
    they do sound little bassy imo.

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts3-df-50-gy.htm

you know what? I now lean towards S1! why not as both sound almost same and S1 with little more on Vocals and decent accessories.

TY :D

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 66
I get a bit of resonance with the grey tips. Like the black ones better as they fit tighter and keep unwanted vibrations down. A bit boomier on the bass with the grey and tighter with the black.

I wrote what I got with my sample and copy and pasted the spec/accs list. They are different as I noted underneath the accessories picture(last line).

The VSD1 and S1 are similar for microphonics straight down but the S1 does over the ear better for both fit and microphonics.

The VSD1 has the moving nozzles. IME, not very useful straight down and I spent time adjusting them when I probably didn't need to vs. a well angled stationary with a similar design. May help some for over the ear though. The tube is metal though so that is good.

and yes, like in the pic, there is a slight angle(20 maybe 22.5 degree) and it helps them to work both ways.

I agree, right now there is only about a $5 price difference which is easily worth it as the S1 is beefier built and has more and better pack-ins. It is just more fun to listen to which is worth that $5 alone if you want that sound.

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 66
  I get a bit of resonance with the grey tips. Like the black ones better as they fit tighter and keep unwanted vibrations down. A bit boomier on the bass with the grey and tighter with the black.

it concludes the grey tips are for bass head alikes,from these two manufacturers........but not a balanced ones(as meelec claim).

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 66
  I don't believe in your reviews, why s1 not popular.

Well to my understanding "Jant71" received a sample (fm Raz by name? BWz? MP4? not sure who he represents) not that he reviewed an ordered one..... and I also stated already that "PS:it's pre-order time, so you gotta wait till sep 27th and they start shipping after 27th.." in my other thread "http://www.head-fi.org/t/663709/vsonic-vsd1-vsd1s-reviews-impression-thread/825#post_9808890"

this ain't iphone to get popularized before launch (no offense). it's impressions/qualities/characteristics will be revealed more from our community ONLY after Sep'13. Wait & Watch.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 66
  Well to my understanding "Jant71" received a sample (fm Raz? BWz?) and I stated already that "PS:it's pre-order time, so you gotta wait till sep 27th and they start shipping after 27th.." this ain't iphone to get popularized before launch (no offense). it's impressions/qualities/characteristics will be revealed more from our community ONLY after Sep'13.wait & watch.

Thanks, I hope they get a good rating of the joker.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 66
  I don't believe in your reviews, why s1 not popular.

Thanks, I hope they get a good rating of the joker.

(004) Acknowledgements

As the number of people who have assisted me in creating this thread grows, I've decided to add this section in an attempt to thank at least some of them. Without the support of these fellow head-fiers I would never have gotten as far as I have with this thread. 

jant71
rawrster
mvw2
Poetik
jwhitakr
daveyostrow
ethan961 
kjk1281
HeadphoneAddict
violinvirtuoso
Inks
slntdth93
takoyaki7
Marcus_C
Carlsan
esanthosh
monoglycer
mcnoiserdc
average_joe
kidcharlemagne
nmxdaven
randomZash
idvsego
carfentanil
mascareiro
mark2410
-y0-
Selenium
Anaxilus
james444
shotgunshane
Gilly87
5370H55V
dweaver
scootsit
Fernito
inline79

I am up on that list because I have shared quite a few earphones and headphones with Joker and we agree quite closely on most, even with fairly different gear. So, maybe read a bit closer and you'll see I've been around and also where I got the S1 from. Only a few early samples went out early for feedback and to give impressions of how they sound and they pretty much agree that they are bassier/warmer, thicker of note, and a fun sound. Also that they need more hours as Dweaver agreed today in another thread. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 66
Sorry, then I think it more correct to compare with gr02 bass edition having a technically more pronounced low frequency or something similar to that. Vsonic GR06 have Mid sound signature but that does not mean that they are terrible and bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back