breathing new life into an MDR-V700
May 31, 2011 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

para0

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I just finished rehabilitating my v700s and I wanted to share how I did it in case anyone else is stuck with these. I know most people hate on them but they're actually not bad after a simple driver mod; I also fixed the straps so they wouldn't snap.

I used one of these steel clip things - one of the larger sizes fits perfectly around the strap once you open it up with pliers. I cut it in half (horizontally, so you get two half-width clips) and I cut off the curled ends. I also cut two more steel strips and jammed them into the headband on the outside of the straps for reinforcement. I bent the clip halves around the straps themselves and wrapped the whole thing in copper wire, and it's beautiful. Incredibly strong, too. The whole thing took about 30 minutes. If you cut the clip so that the headphones fit you well while completely closed, they shouldn't ever break. (That's a downside - the clips block them from closing)

There's the metal strap that I jammed in. When closed it disappears. The clip is under the wire. I actually thought it looked a lot better without the wire but I put it in for durability's sake. It's probably unnecessary.

The driver mod tightens up the bass and reduces it a bit. It really evens out the response and brings the highs out; these headphones really need it. Take off the earcups and unscrew the plastic plate (careful - the driver is connected by a very thin wire) and look for a small circular hole near the driver connectors. Take a bit of masking tape and poke a tiny hole in it (mine's about the diameter of a small screwdriver) and place it over the hole. The smaller the hole, the more you cut the frequency response... a little bit will make the headphone sound great but if the hole's too small you lose thumpiness in the low bass. V700s reproduce quite low frequencies so it shouldn't have a negative impact.

That's all, just wanted to share how I fixed these guys up. They sound a lot more even and clean and they'll never break. It's a quick job, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back