Bringing out the LCD2 Mids
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently visited a local audio shop to try out the Utopia and Elear, and ended up preferring my LCD2 and the LCD3 over all of them. However the LCD3 seemed to have a fuller sound and was the only thing that could possibly dethrone my LCD2 as my endgame headphone.

I'm terrible at using the Foobar2000 EQ; is there an easy way to fill out the sound of the LCD2 either through EQ or perhaps a new amp? I find the LCD2 decently emotional but I think I would love them even more with a more forward midrange for vocals. Compared directly with the LCD3, my LCD2 sounded like there was a hole in between the bass and treble, quite V shaped.

I've tried bringing the 2khz-4khz up in EQ by just a tad but it didn't quite sound right. Is a new tube amp a good idea or is the damping factor going to be an issue with the low resistance of these headphones? Im keeping my Jot at least for my LSR305 and would likely use it as a preamp for whatever tube amp I get (if a new amp is even a good idea). I really don't want to buy more headphones because I love the LCD2 and I just bought the carbon fiber headband. It's essentially endgame for me and I just want to tweak it to make it sound the best it can.

Summary:
I'd like my LCD2 to have a fuller midrange to bring extra emotion to my music collection. I liked the LCD3 and how full that sounded but I don't think the increase in quality is worth the price over my LCD2.

Should I EQ? And if so, what's the best tweak to make? I can't seem to have success with foobar2000 EQ.

Or should I try a tube amp?

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 4
That's an issue I had with LCD2 when I had them, vocals sounded buried or distant. I would try to EQ. Get a parametric EQ. APO EQ is one I know, but here is a thread that would help you out with EQ. I wouldn't bother with new amp if your current amp sufficiently drive it. That region will not get fixed with another amp.

Planars are like a resistor load, it's flat, so it shouldn't be effected by output impedance any amp so it's characteristics will not change as long as it's driven sufficiently. Dynamics on the other hand due depending on output impedance of the source, and their bass impedance regions(which there are varying degree of impedance hump in the response).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-dsp-rolling-how-to-thread.867258/

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 4
I would try this software out....10 day free trial and have a preset for LCD-2

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi

Only reason I no longer own the LCD-2 are because of the small,boxy mids...pity cuz otherwise a nice sounding headphone.

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Bleh, maybe another trip to audition the 3 is in order haha. I'll definitely try that subscription!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back