Brooko's Reviews - Past & Future
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #211 of 278
Amazing what a slight shift from 7kHz to 8-9 kHz for the peak can do eh? Peak is still a bit overdone, but a little more palatable than the original F9

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #212 of 278
If I can easily tune it to my flavor, I would drop the 8k a bit, and slightly tone down the upper mids and elevate the bass for slight elevation of warmth. But, even with just 8k toned down, I can dig it.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #213 of 278
I'd say your tastes are very similar to mine :beerchug:

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #214 of 278
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #215 of 278
Damn man.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #216 of 278
Hey Brooko, what frequencies do you find you hear cchhh sound in? I find them somewhere between 6-8k and hard to narrow down where most of that energy is coming from. To me, that sound I'd describe as sharp and most annoyance.

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #217 of 278
In relation to which instrument? The problem with dialing it down to an individual frequency is that it can occur in both the fundamental and /or the harmonic sometimes. So locating it can be difficult.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #218 of 278
In relation to which instrument? The problem with dialing it down to an individual frequency is that it can occur in both the fundamental and /or the harmonic sometimes. So locating it can be difficult.
Chhh comes out of vocals. If you've listened to Diana Krall's Turn Up The Quiet, you'd know what I'm talking about. I think hers is more toward the latter part of that band, but depends on the recording, the most energy of that sound could be anywhere within the region.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #219 of 278
Chhh comes out of vocals. If you've listened to Diana Krall's Turn Up The Quiet, you'd know what I'm talking about. I think hers is more toward the latter part of that band, but depends on the recording, the most energy of that sound could be anywhere within the region.

You are referring to a sibilance, I guess, and typically that's a region between 6k-8k. It's part of a recording problem, unless it was intended to be that way by a sound engineer. Also, we all have a different hearing level where some of the frequencies might be more attenuated in comparison to others, so perhaps not everybody going to hear it the same as you do. I had a number of discussions in the past about VEGA, as an example, where people were telling me they hear sibilance with a particular recording, while I didn't (eartip dependent too, in this case). But anyway, you can always use this popular Freq Chart for your reference:

FreqChart.JPG

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #220 of 278
Thanks - the reason I asked was for clarification. If I was putting a sound to sibilance I would have said "Tsssss" :wink:

For me personally - sibilance mostly occurs in the 6-9 kHz area, but its got to be in the recording in the first place to show up. Fortunately its relatively easy to locate once I hear it. Slap the IEMs on the coupler, do a freq response measurement, and look for the peaks. Find the offending one and soften it.

I should add to that I have found it with certain vocalists as low as 4-5 kHz on rare occasions, but thats usually when you have an IEM where they've completely bolloxed up the upper mid-range.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #221 of 278
You are referring to a sibilance, I guess, and typically that's a region between 6k-8k. It's part of a recording problem, unless it was intended to be that way by a sound engineer. Also, we all have a different hearing level where some of the frequencies might be more attenuated in comparison to others, so perhaps not everybody going to hear it the same as you do. I had a number of discussions in the past about VEGA, as an example, where people were telling me they hear sibilance with a particular recording, while I didn't (eartip dependent too, in this case). But anyway, you can always use this popular Freq Chart for your reference:

You think I don't know what sibilance is? I've seen many charts including the one you attached. It's not like I've been around since yesterday.

I didn't ask for what sibilance is or a chart.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #222 of 278
You think I don't know what sibilance is? I've seen many charts including the one you attached. It's not like I've been around since yesterday.

I didn't ask for what sibilance is or a chart.

I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, was just helping. You asked a question and I replied back, without knowing a background of what you do or don't know. There are other people who read Paul's thread, and they can certaintly benefit from an answer. And yes, I know, you have been around this forum awhile and I have seen your previous posts and replies, that's why I'm not a bit surprised with your snappy reply...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #223 of 278
Gents - I think the misunderstanding was in the description of the sound. No harm done. Sibilance is usually associated with sharp peaks on the Sssssss - so I got thrown with the description chhhh. Like I said no foul - we’re all talking same thing. The problems with locating it is of course combo of physiology, things like insertion depth, listening volume, and acuity to certain frequencies. For sure though - the better the master recording, the less likely the issue will occur :)

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #224 of 278
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #225 of 278
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, was just helping. You asked a question and I replied back, without knowing a background of what you do or don't know. There are other people who read Paul's thread, and they can certaintly benefit from an answer. And yes, I know, you have been around this forum awhile and I have seen your previous posts and replies, that's why I'm not a bit surprised with your snappy reply...
Thanks for posting that chart Alex. For people like me, who are not sound engineers and do not ride very high horses it's a useful EQ guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back