Budget Circumaural Headphones for Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB?
Apr 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mathematics

New Head-Fier
I'm new here and I was really considering the CAL! as my first good pair of headphones (currently using Skullcandy).
The CAL! seems to have everything I'm looking for, they are (according to my research, I have no experience :p)
-100$ or less
-Closed+Circumaural
-Warm sound signature, while remaining clear throughout the mids and highs
-Comfortable
-Great Soundstage
-Easy on the eyes :D

However I was wondering a few things like
-How well they work unamped of my hp dv6 laptop
-How durable they are
-And finally, how well they compare to the Citiscape Uptown and M50s (I listen to mainly rap and hip hop)

Any other suggestions would be great!

May 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Bump!
Can't seem to get any suggestions on the reccomendations thread, other than the mdr v6 which, although heavily recommended, doesn't fit my specified sound signature. 

To all the audiophiles here, any suggestions for a newbie? :p

May 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 8
With your music taste, with those genres.. I think you'd really like the AKG K 240 MK II's.

You can find them here:

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Stereo-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0016MNBAM/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367455536&sr=1-12&keywords=akg

They are not fully closed, they are semi-open. So you may not want that. I would feel better recommending a pair of In-ear monitors for that budget though.

There are a few others headphones out there you may like, that's just one that comes to mind right now.

May 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 8
I'll definitely look in to those AKGs, they look like great value for the price!
Only reason I rather go closed is because of the supposedly more 'immersive' experience.

I already have a great pair of IEMS, and need these over ears for when I'm on my laptop.
Thanks for the response!

May 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 8
If anybody is reading this thread, I've come to a conclusion for my first pair of entry level headphones. I considered the Creative Aurvana Live, ATH M50s, and Koss TBSE1 and have finally chosen the Philips Uptowns. They seem to have superior comfort and build quality to any of the other models, have better isolation than the others and have a very balanced sound signature on the warm side. I was looking forward to the sound of the Aurvana Live but they seemed breakable, and the ATH M50 didn't seem worth the price difference considering I prefer stronger mids than highs. Hope these Uptowns will be everything I expect and more! I'll come back with my 'under-qualified' 'average consumer' opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back