Budgeting for the K701...
Apr 20, 2006 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
How much are you guys paying *shipped* for your K701s? Around $350? And where did you get 'em?

I currently own a K501 and Beyer DT250-80, both in excellent condition. Best case I could get $120 for the DT250 and $100 for the K501, which would bring me to $220. That would leave me around $130 short of a new pair of K701s, which even an extremely broke fellow like me could probably arrange within a fairly short time period. Just trying to plan this out in my mind, since I can't buy them right now but would definitely like to before the summer is over. IMO it's pointless to own multiple pairs of midrange cans, when you can have two of the best (DT880, K701) instead.

Also -- not sure if this has been asked before (probably has), but does the K701 have a similar soundstage to the K501, i.e. vast/airy and somewhat distant from the stage? I don't remember people talking about the K701's soundstage that much, so any direct comparisons to the K501 would be appreciated.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 23
No offense here Fewtch, but I think $100 is a little too optimistic for the K501's, just because new one are so cheap right now.

I mean I guess its possible, but when I budget, I try to plan for the worst case scenarios. If it happens, then I know I'm covered.

Edit: You did say best case... so maybe I'm off the mark. Either way, good luck on your journey!

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 23
Be careful, you might think that the k701 is better than the dt880. hehe
tongue.gif

Anyway, thought the best price now is $299 shipped. The soundstage is really wide. Wider than the hd650. But i can't tell if it's wider than the k501. There is more bass though but i attribute that to the different pads on the k701. Good luck saving.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 23
I paid $325 shipped brand new when they were really hot. Got them from a member here who had a new pair still in the box. As far as the soundstage compared to the K501 is concerned, it's very similar; the place where the K701 bests the K501 is the low end and high end; mids are largely the same, as is the soundstage.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Be careful, you might think that the k701 is better than the dt880. hehe
tongue.gif

So what if I did... I wouldn't be the first person to own two headphones, one of which is better than the other.

P.S. could you guys say where you got 'em, along with the price? Just for future reference... thnx.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 23
I've owned the two phones and listened side by side. More high and low detail and definition and tonal color in the the K701s than in the DT880s, but they're very similar in their basic style, and both superior headphones.

I purchased through Headphone Solutions a few months ago for $280, but you should add $40 or so to that price; in other words, about the same price as the very cheapest HD650 out there.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 23
Cool... I'll plan on $325 rather than $350 (could always give or take $5-$10). We'll have to see where the price goes into the summer as well, my guess is it remains steady but it could always rise/fall a bit in the USA.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Whoa...lighten up. It was a joke. sheesh. hence the
tongue.gif
icon.

It was a neutral response to be honest, neither intended to be nasty nor with humor... I just want to avoid another X vs Y thread (don't we have enough of those already).

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
How much are you guys paying *shipped* for your K701s? Around $350? And where did you get 'em?

I currently own a K501 and Beyer DT250-80, both in excellent condition. Best case I could get $120 for the DT250 and $100 for the K501, which would bring me to $220. That would leave me around $130 short of a new pair of K701s, which even an extremely broke fellow like me could probably arrange within a fairly short time period. Just trying to plan this out in my mind, since I can't buy them right now but would definitely like to before the summer is over. IMO it's pointless to own multiple pairs of midrange cans, when you can have two of the best (DT880, K701) instead.

Also -- not sure if this has been asked before (probably has), but does the K701 have a similar soundstage to the K501, i.e. vast/airy and somewhat distant from the stage? I don't remember people talking about the K701's soundstage that much, so any direct comparisons to the K501 would be appreciated.

fewtch,
I got mine from Jamey at Headroom......$299.00 shipped.
Can't compare to the 501's(sorry), but I didn't know what soundstage was until I slipped on these puppies.
I've got just 230 hours on mine, just check them every day or two(trying to avoid psychological effect) to see how they're coming along.
I'm 54 and very little amazes me anymore, but these just simply aren't the same cans I took out of the box. My goal was 350 to 400hrs. before giving them my full attention, but I'm starting to falter.
biggrin.gif

Good luck on your venture, I really don't think you'll regret doing a little scrounging for these 'phones.
BTW...I haven't had the opportunty to hear the 880's. I know how much you enjoy yours. I'd be very interested in your comparison when the time comes.
Best,
Jim

~

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
No offense here Fewtch, but I think $100 is a little too optimistic for the K501's, just because new one are so cheap right now.

I mean I guess its possible, but when I budget, I try to plan for the worst case scenarios. If it happens, then I know I'm covered.

Edit: You did say best case... so maybe I'm off the mark. Either way, good luck on your journey!

A k501 from HeadRoom is $130, so I don't think $100 is far off for one in good condition .. especially since I just bought a used one for that exact price!

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 23
Got mine from Headroom during the early low price pre-order wait... And also had an additional discount because of where I work. All told I paid $245 shipped, but it was really one of those once in a blue moon things.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The K701 is still available for $299 shipped from HeadRoom with coupon code "k701"! Grab it while you can!

Unfortunately I can't (don't have the money), hopefully there will still be some deals available in a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back