Burson HA-160DS + HE-500 problem! Volume can't get high enough!
Oct 30, 2012 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dece870717

New Head-Fier
Just got in my brand new HE-500 headphones and plugged them in to my recently bought "used" Burson HA-160DS and sound quality is excellent as expected, but I can't get them loud enough to my liking with this amp. I put the amp to full volume and have every option in my computer to full volume and simply can not get these headphones to a nice loud level, it sounds like my headphones are being held back, because when I plugged the headphones into my Onkyo home receiver I was able to get to a higher volume with more noticeable and boomier bass. This is extremely disappointing considering the Burson is regarded as such a good dac/amp. Is there something wrong with the amp or is there anyway to make the amp louder?

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 4
I have the same problem powering my HE-500's with a Beyerdynamic A-1. Not a problem with my other headphones. The 500's like a lot of output power as do most orthodynamic cans. I recently purchased a Woo WA6-se and no longer have the problem as the Woo amp is much more powerful. You could also look into the Schiit Lyr ... another powerful amp better suited for Orthodynamic headphones.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Its not simply power = volume. My SA-31 is probably a lot more powerful than those amps and couldnt get a loud enough volume with certain sources. Your problem may just be the gain on the Burson being too low.

For example, the Fiio E9K goes louder despite being maybe 1/10th the power at 40ohm vs the SA31.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Its not simply power = volume. My SA-31 is probably a lot more powerful than those amps and couldnt get a loud enough volume with certain sources. Your problem may just be the gain on the Burson being too low.

For example, the Fiio E9K goes louder despite being maybe 1/10th the power at 40ohm vs the SA31.

Insufficient gain is a problem with analogue inputs, not digital

Users who are viewing this thread

Back