Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #3,121 of 3,128
Dsy 2 and some interesting observations. Got home in the afternoon around 12 let her warm up and was pleasantly surprised, the sound was at ease especially when I lowered the gain with ca1a and thought, ok it just needed some time to settle sigh of relief so I could finally stop comparing. But this evening listening I just noticed I wasn't engaged and the sound was fairly flat sounding and I knew something wasn't right because it has always been a very engaging dimensional fun experience. So another sigh and plugged the old one back in, and there it was! The dynamics 3d fun sound was back! So when the Power is dirty during the day it makes the sound better and at night when the power is clean it seems the old one is better .. more days will hopefully make sense of what I'm experiencing. I'm not an electrical engineer but perhaps it's over filtering and eating up something who knows. Very strange because of how impressed It sounded earlier in the day

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #3,122 of 3,128
Dsy 2 and some interesting observations. Got home in the afternoon around 12 let her warm up and was pleasantly surprised, the sound was at ease especially when I lowered the gain with ca1a and thought, ok it just needed some time to settle sigh of relief so I could finally stop comparing. But this evening listening I just noticed I wasn't engaged and the sound was fairly flat sounding and I knew something wasn't right because it has always been a very engaging dimensional fun experience. So another sigh and plugged the old one back in, and there it was! The dynamics 3d fun sound was back! So when the Power is dirty during the day it makes the sound better and at night when the power is clean it seems the old one is better .. more days will hopefully make sense of what I'm experiencing. I'm not an electrical engineer but perhaps it's over filtering and eating up something who knows. Very strange because of how impressed It sounded earlier in the day
You might think about investing in a power conditioner as well. Good ones aren’t cheap. I have clean power where I am so I’m not a v good info source but loads out there— PS Audio, Audioquest, Plixir to name a few more frequently cited.

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #3,124 of 3,128
Yes I have a Topaz iso in my main system and another for the 3xp.
Try with and without the mains filter please. One might think the more filters the better.
When I bought my Sbooster LPS (not for soloist) the manual state that some unlucky combinations of gear might be detrimental, and mains pre filters should be checked with and without.

Apr 20, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #3,125 of 3,128
Try with and without the mains filter please. One might think the more filters the better.
When I bought my Sbooster LPS (not for soloist) the manual state that some unlucky combinations of gear might be detrimental, and mains pre filters should be checked with and without.
Yes sir, I did because I've heard the same thing before and is plugged directly into the wall.

Very interesting, during the afternoon it sounded so good, then the opposite effect in the evening

Very strange because my dual mono beast of a amp Volot doesn't have any issues, it sounds brilliant off its flavor 4 cable all the time.

There is something in the filtering process in how it interacts with power I suppose, hopefully I'll get more established information the more days pass and my experiences level out alittle.

I remember that when I bought the ifi elite I power it was similar except it was just plain bad all the time.

(I'll just note, that with the Supercharger music never sounds bad or grainy it just sounds less dynamic dimensional contrasting, comparatively )

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #3,126 of 3,128
Received my supercharger for my 3xp I'll admit so far in the minority, for my headphones music is much crisper without it and isn't near as forward.. maybe it needs to break in or there is something going on with its impedance pushing the sound Forward.. sounding very "forward" for lack of a better definition.. especially with my Ca1a and it's Ti-1b trodial convertor box maybe something to do with dampening who knows but so far things sound less stressed more fluid without the supercharger.

Not totally surprised as I had a similar experience with the ifi supercharger and sent it back.
do you got the super 3A or the 5A?

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #3,128 of 3,128
Do these chargers break in? Because it's sounding really good now, not sure what clicked maybe the caps had to get used to all that extra juice 😆

On another note I was considering upgrading to the GT but I'm afraid the soundstage will be bigger and I'll lose the defining edges of the 3xp and the 3xp can't be far from the GT because I've heard enough high end amp to recognize how good the 3xp is already imo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back