Burson V7 Classic Pro and V7 Vivid Pro - Hi-Fi audiophile solid-state op-amps
Jan 30, 2024 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 188

raoultrifan

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received from BURSON AUDIO a few pairs of V7 Classic Pro and V7 Vivid Pro operational amplifiers for use in audio equipment, so I already started the "burn-in" and I've also played a few songs on my Soloist 3X Grand Tourer (the 2023 model) headphones amplifiers. Many thanks to Burson Audio for providing me the opportunity of testing this new generation of solid-state operational amplifier. I'll do my best next week to write a full review, but meanwhile I'd like to share with you some close-up pictures and a few thoughts as well.

IMG_5094 copy.jpeg

The new generation of V7 Audio Op-Amps sealed in exquisite package

IMG_5109 copy.jpeg

V7 Classic (V7C) and V7 Vivid (V7V) dual op-amps

I remember my first review on Burson op-amps back in Dec. 2013 with the Burson V5 model when I had them tested in my ASUS Essence One MKii DAC (I'm still using this ASUS combo in my living room), then back in Nov., 2016 I reviewed the Burson V5i model, them I moved to test and review the Burson V6 Classic and Vivid as well and I've noticed a clear improvement in sound when installed in my Matrix HPA-3B headamp. For some reasons, I did liked the V6 Classic model more than the V6 Vivid, although most other head-fiers were in love with the Vivid, so I'm looking forward for your thoughts on the new V7 Pro model: Classic vs. Vivid opinions. :)

The V7 Vivid Pro models are already included in the Deluxe Package of Burson's flagship Soloist Voyager and installing these op-amps in our Hi-Fi gear should be a no-brainer for DIYers and modders.

V7_Vivid_Pro_crop.jpg

V7 Vivid Pro audio op-amps installed on top of soldered DIP-8 sockets, secured with rubber band around

This new generation of solid-state op-amps is biased into Class A operation much more than the previous generations of Burson op-amps, so they will run finger-burning hot while in-use. This is normal for these op-amps, hence the aluminum outer shell acts as heatsink ensuring a better thermal stability too. For modders and DIYers, you should wait for a few minutes after switching your audio equipment off before unplugging the V7 Pro op-amps, otherwise you could injury your finger (however, you should never hot plug op-amps anyway).

Untitled 2.jpg

Burson V7 Vivid has a couple of resistive trimmers on two sides used for bias voltage/current adjustments.
You should never touch those trimmers, otherwise op-amp will get damaged (in time) and warranty will be voided!
IMG_5102 copy.jpeg

V7 dual op-amps contain two small PCB's inside, each one terminating with gold-plated pins
IMG_5105 copy.jpeg

All the transistors inside the V7 op-amps are thermally linked to the aluminum outer shell that acts as a heatsink. Burson was using both thermal pads (on the outside) and thermal paste (on the inside)to cool-down the internals.

I am repeating myself now, I know that, but you should never adjust those trimmers! It takes hours for Burson engineers to fine-tune each op-amp! Hopefully, in the near future these trimmers will be sealed with special wax. Meanwhile, anyone playing with these trimmers will void the life-time warranty, so take care.

IMG_5108 copy.jpeg

V7 op-amp inserted into gold-plated DIP-8 socket. A dedicated O-ring (included in the package) needs to be installed under the socket, prior to get it soldered onto the mainboard.

The DIP-8 sockets are for DIYers that want to solder them directly onto the mainboards. They are high quality gold-plated sockets, so everyone can use them without worries because there will be a very good electrical contact between the op-amp and the socket. There are also dedicated O-rings that should wrap-up the op-amps from under the DIP-8 sockets before soldering.

Do check Burson website for news and pricing about these soon-to-release operational amplifiers!

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 188
20240207_195619_IR.png
20240207_200200_IR.png
V7 Pro Vivid (input buffers) - Inside transistors max. temperature of about 60C
V7 Pro Vivid (input buffers) - Aluminum shell temperature of about 50C
20240207_195804_IR.png
20240207_200222_IR.png
V7 Pro Vivid (output buffers) - Inside transistors max. temp. of about 65C
V7 Pro Vivid (output buffers) - Aluminum shell temperature of about 45C
20240207_215417_IR.png
Heatmap with op-amps and SP2 regulators

I managed to install the soon-to-be-released V7 Pro Vivid operational amplifiers in my Soloist 3X Grand Tour 2023 headphones amplifier and I decided to measure the inside temperatures. A comprehensive post I've also placed in the Soloist 3X GT thread as well.

Looks like the new V7 Pro op-amps are more biased in class A than the V6 op-amps, this being possible due to the new aluminum outer shell that acts as heatsink too. For me these op-amps are a must-have upgrade, but YMMV. With V7 Pro Vivid I hear more microdetails and the scene is somehow larger too. I'll soon try the V7 Pro Classic op-amps too, but I anticipate a more neutral sound (given mu experience with the former V6 generation of op-amps).

Looking forward for Burson to release the final version of these op-amps, so I can read and compare your reviews. Also, hope you'll be posting heatmaps as well, so we can compare how these op-amps are operating on different audio equipment.

L.E.: The last heatmap image was taken a few seconds after taking the case off and it represents the actual internal temperature range (identical with case closed). The other images are showing slightly increased temperatures because of the lack of inside air ventilation due to fan being unable to suck the hot air out. Do not try operating Soloist 3X GT with case open, as we can clearly see that using it this way will increase thermal stress to internals!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 188
I would say that you can try, because the Playmate 2 should be fully compatible with V7 Pro op-amps.

Seek out for early-bird prices or for promo bargains, because the price will be lower this way. In the end, what it matters is your joy & happiness while listening to the music. 😃

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 188
A full picture with V7 Pro Vivid in Burson Soloist or Voyager exists already, so I'll post below a first picture with the V7 Pro Classic inside a Soloist 3X GT 2023. As you can see, the same aluminum shell, but a different color.

IMG_5252.jpg

Silent Power v2 and V7 Pro Classic Solid-State op-amps

IMG_5253.jpg

V7 Pro Classic Solid-State op-amps

I've done some in-depth listening today and I've noticed a slight difference between the V7 Pro Vivid and V7 Pro Classic op-amps; it's about the musicality and microdetails at the same time, although I can't really explain why I feel that the Vivids might sound somehow more appealing to my ears. Still, the Classics sound more peaceful, somehow neutral and clean at the same time.

Given the above statement, I decided to perform a few audio measurements today, just to better understand why I feel that these op-amps are sounding a bit different.

Headphones_XLR_Out-GainLow_4.25V-V7Classic_.png

V7 Pro Classic - notice the 2'nd harmonic being much lower than the 3'rd one

Headphones_XLR_Out-GainLow_4.25V-V7Vivid_.png

V7 Pro Vivid - notice the 2'nd harmonic almost at the same level with the 3'rd one
In music, harmonics are providing the final timber of the sound. Most of us consider that "even" harmonics are better sounding than "odd" harmonics, although there are still many of us liking the sound of the "odd" harmonics. From how I see it, Burson nailed it again with the V7 generation of solid-state op-amps in a way that everyone should be pleased either by the sound of the Classic op-amp, either of the sound of the Vivid op-amp.

Despite the very low THD+N figure of -102.6 dB on both op-amps (Low gain, 4.25 Vrms, XLR headphones out), the tiny slight difference between the two op-amp models is there. Now I'm really anxiously waiting for Burson to open the market for these op-amps, so I can hear your thoughts about what op-amp do you think it sounds better: the Classic or the Vivid?

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 188
I've swapped in a set of V7V op-amps into my Timekeeper 3X and, believe it or not, I resisted the urge to mess with those tiny switches on the op-amp. Comparing it to the V6V, the biggest difference has to be the transparency sounds cleaner and more detailed, without any of that muffled or smeared quality of those v6v. It's reminiscent of the 994 but with a touch more warmth in the mids.

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 188
I've swapped in a set of V7V op-amps into my Timekeeper 3X and, believe it or not, I resisted the urge to mess with those tiny switches on the op-amp. Comparing it to the V6V, the biggest difference has to be the transparency sounds cleaner and more detailed, without any of that muffled or smeared quality of those v6v. It's reminiscent of the 994 but with a touch more warmth in the mids.
Your findings are on pair with mine and other head-fiers, so the increase in details would be the first one. It's good thing you resisted the urge to mess with the opamp's inner trimmers. :) However, messing with those trimmers could also alter the DC-output voltage, so totally not recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back