Buyer Beware
Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

etcetera

New Head-Fier
BUYER BEWARE

I read the great reviews of Ross Martin's DACs online and decided to buy from him. I loved the idea of buying a quality, handmade product from someone. I was so excited I had even asked him if he would autograph the top of my unit when I sent him the PayPal payment of $293.45 back on March 12, 2012.

To date, I have only spoken with him via email so if anyone is interested in the play by play I have no problem emailing anyone all 40 to 50 emails exchanged. Chronologically, here is what happened:

I purchased the Dual Bare Beast PCM1794 on March 12th, 2012 after talking with him via email for the better part of 5 days leading into March 12th. Every time I had a question he was prompt and cordial in his responses. He stated that it would take two weeks to complete my unit and send it out.

The unit did not come in two weeks. It took a month (April 13th) to get the first unit and honestly, that was okay. He hand makes these units and things happens...I get it. No sweat.

I opened the box on April 13th and it wasn't what I ordered. He had sent a single PCM1794 half rack, instead of the full rack "Dual" Bare Beast. I was let down but I emailed him and he apologized and asked me to return it.

He said he would refund my shipping charges. No problem.

I sent this first unit back that next day, April 14th, and paid $21.05 in shipping to him to Nebraska.

April 20th I receive the second unit and this one is wrong as well. It's a Dual Bare Beast this time but the headphone output is crackling at all volume levels and he didn't change one of the TOSLINK digital inputs on the unit to an AES input like he said he would. As well, he said he could make the wood sides removable and that he would machine me some removable rack ears. This was not done either. The fact that this wasn’t done for me wasn't a deal breaker but added with everything else it showed his lack of urgency to remedy the situation.

At this point he says I can keep this second unit until he makes me a new unit from scratch.

Almost another full month later, May 16th, I got an email message from him stating that he's finishing up the metal work and he would be done the following weekend. Mind you, he still hasn't refunded the $21.05 shipping charges from the first unit he sent me that was wrong a month earlier.

After he failed to send this next unit (a third unit) when he said he would, I decided I wanted out.

On June 5th, I sent him this email after shipping back the second wrong unit:

Ross,
I returned, via USPS, the unit you last sent me. Here is the Delivery Confirmation Number: 0311 2550 0003 9608 0157

I know you had said you were going to make me a new unit that would be what I ordered originally. However, I no longer need or want the unit. Do not send anything to me now other than a refund of $332.50. I came to this number by adding my original purchase amount ($293.45 on March 12th), the return shipping amount I paid on the first incorrect unit you sent ($21.05 on April 14th), and the amount I paid today to ship back to you the second incorrect unit you sent me ($18.00 on June 5th).

Please refund the money through PayPal.

As of this writing I have not heard back from him and although PayPal contacted him and he told their associate he would take care of me, he has not refunded one penny of my money or bothered to return any more of my emails.

PayPal said that it is now past 45 days so they cannot legally take it from his account (congratulations, Ross!). My credit card company has opened a case on the situation and if that doesn't bear fruit I will go to JAG and see what legal recourse I may have (I am a soldier in the Army).

I am going to copy and paste this message on the forums I was reading from when I decided to first purchase from him.

I hope my experience is of help to anyone considering a purchase from this guy.

Michael

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 12
What a shame :frowning2: Thanks for letting us know.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm sorry you had an experience this ugly. I was interested in purchasing one of his dacs a long time ago, then read of someone having some issues with him and his dac. So that scared me away. I was surprised many ignored that and did business with him after that. I really hope these are isolated occurrences. But your situation speaks a lot to his character and shows he cares more about selling products than he cares about taking care of his customers and supplying them with what they actually paid for.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
I'm sorry you had an experience this ugly. I was interested in purchasing one of his dacs a long time ago, then read of someone having some issues with him and his dac. So that scared me away. I was surprised many ignored that and did business with him after that. I really hope these are isolated occurrences. But your situation speaks a lot to his character and shows he cares more about selling products than he cares about taking care of his customers and supplying them with what they actually paid for.

...especially messing up the order twice. That isn't an accident.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 12
That blows OP.  I was lucky and got my coin back after 5 weeks had past from initial order and still no evidence of the head-fi DAC/headphone amp combo special that I ordered.  I did correspond on the 3rd week and got a friendly response saying that it was in the process of getting built, but never got a response back on my request to know an accurate ETC.  I got nothing but the sound of crickets after requesting a refund on the 39 day. I then opened a PayPal dispute on the 42 day and the next day, got fully refunded. 

I too was allured by the "Made in USA" and "Made by Hand" stamps, and the very few impressions...blah blah blah.  Small business like Ross Martin needs polish up their business model and communicate better to their customers in more real time.  He (Ross Martin) may be going down the same route as of Single Power (questionable craftsmanship and parts, not following up on orders and promises) with the take your money and run tactic.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Ross contacted me last night and after we exchanged a couple of emails, he refunded all my money via PayPal.

I don't believe Ross set out to do anything wrong but when he stopped communicating entirely, what did he imagine I would think? I believe if he can get himself better organized and become more customer friendly he could be very successful.

To reiterate: Ross Martin refunded all of my money and in the end he took care of the situation. Thank you for that, Ross.

Alphaphoenix, was that incident with Ross Martin as well? I'm curious as to whether or not PayPal had to pull the funds or whether the other party actually issued a refund to you. There is a difference. I feel Ross proactively did the right thing at the end of the day here and I give him credit for that.

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Ross contacted me last night and after we exchanged a couple of emails, he refunded all my money via PayPal....
...I feel Ross proactively did the right thing at the end of the day here and I give him credit for that.

...because he saw this thread and realized we're onto him (sending wrong orders and/or delay them to defeat paypal protection), or because it was pure coincidence that he contacted you shortly after this was posted?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 12
I believe Ross or his wife initiated the refund.  Usually with PayPal refunds happen within 3-7 days after a case has been opened.  I initiated the PayPal case for reason of "not receiving item", summarized the series of events and requested a full refund.

If Ross or somebody on his pay role responded back with an explanation of the delay (waiting for parts, overwhelming backlog, out on vacation...etc), I would've been fine.  I think a nice method of communicating to customers on the status is providing some easy to get to spread sheet (online, Google docs..etc) with a customer/order number that shows the order progress and estimated time of completion, or some similar method especially if the assembly line is FIFO (first in, first out).

I do have a soft spot for small business making domestic products for a fair price.  I really wanted to give Ross my business, which depending on the first product, had plans to purchase his flagship DAC later down the road. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
...because he saw this thread and realized we're onto him (sending wrong orders and/or delay them to defeat paypal protection), or because it was pure coincidence that he contacted you shortly after this was posted?
rolleyes.gif

Bingo! But to the op, I'm very glad you got your money back. There's no excuse for everything you had to go through to get refunded for something you purchased in good faith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back