Buying my first pair of headphones: V-Moda M80s, SRH440, CAL 2, HD558, or M50s?
Apr 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

krns

New Head-Fier
Up until this point, I've always used cheaper headphones ($40 range), and I'm looking to invest in a pair of nicer cans. I'm currently in high school, so my budget is $150, on Amazon.com, since I happen to have some gift cards there.

I listen to EDM / Indie Rock mostly, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I can also use for casual gaming (positioning).

I've done quite a bit of research, but I'm stuck between:

- Creative Aurvana Live! 2
- Audio-Technica ATHM50
- Sennheiser HD 558
- Phillips L1/28 Fidelio
- Shure SRH440
- V-Moda M-80

They're all within my price range (at current discounts), and I've heard that with the foam mod, the Sennheiser HD 558 will sound very similar to the HD598.

I'm hoping that the pair I purchase will last me until I reach university, where I can invest in some higher quality ones.

Any advice is really appreciated, since this is going to be a fairly large purchase for a high school student, and I don't want to make a decision I will regret 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 3
I recommend Sennheiser HD 558's, if you don't mind the open-back design. I have HD 598's and they are great for music, movies and games. The 5x8's are in no means bass-heavy cans, but with little amping the 598's give nice, clean, punchy bass for electronic music. Cheap amp/DAC is recommended when you can afford, look for FiiO products.

May 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 3
A happy V-Moda M80 owner here. The M80 has mic for your gaming, and can handle all genres of music with ease. They are great for portable/home use and has the style and taste. With a well-designed custom-made plate, the M-80 will make you shine in the highschool (I'd assume ppl there just use earbuds and Beats).
The build quality is military-level. I'd say they can last until you have grandchildren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back