Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,276 of 5,364
Hello all!

I'm currently looking for a good all around iem for under $90

I listen to a variety of music, from classic rock and psychedelic rock to hip hop to electronic. 

My current listening experience (and the best sound I've experienced thus far) includes a pair of JVC HA-S500 headphones. These sound phenomenal to me. 

So far, my favorite iem's have been a pair of Brainwavz M5's that were comfortable and enjoyable to listen to, but unfortunately I lost them. 

I'm strongly considering ordering another pair of Branwavz M5's, however I'm considering any iem under $90. 

If you are looking for a very low cost temporary solution until you find what you really want, you could pick-up a pair of Mee M6 for under $20. They will NOT compare to something like the SE215, but they aren't horrible - and they are comfortable over-the-ear style IEMs that are easy to drive & very cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-CL-MEE-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

May 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4,277 of 5,364
I would probably go with a Beyer DT770/80 for this.  Or, if you can manage to find a really good deal on an HD 598, that would work too.  And as a last resort, maybe an HD558 would suffice.  I haven't heard the HD 558, but I know it has similarities with the HD 598 (and in fact shares the same drivers as the HD 598).

Wont i need an amp for the beyers?also are the sony ma900s good?also the dt770/80 is 230 dollars

May 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,278 of 5,364
TwinQy is back! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone could recommend bluetooth wireless earphones ideally that fit like my shure se315's with the Sound Isolating foam as find its the only thing that fits my ear well and is comfortable.

Edit: Like [size=1.2em]Jabra Sport Bluetooth headset but with the shure style tips and foam.[/size]

Budget? The Phiatons or the Jaybirds might work out - the most decent out of a bad lot (bluetooth-dedicated sets in general). Otherwise you could actually just use the 315s, or any normal set of IEMs with a wireless dongle -  http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Stereo-Clip-On-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B0057WWK5E (not specifying this model in particular, but just giving an example).

+1 on the bad lot part.  To put it plainly, unless your source (transmitter) and sink (reciever) both support AptX, you can pretty much expect sound quality to take a big nose dive.  Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Quote:

Quote:
Hi all.  My Klipsch S4s just died on me (the cable, of course) ... Any recomendations are appreciated.  Thank You!!!

the FXD80s fit pretty much all of the criteria and slots in very nicely in terms of sound signature/presentation. Really quite apt.

There's also the UE700 but it's not as immediate or V-shaped or sparkly. Bass texture is also slightly better although the presentation in that area is still rather similar.

Can certainly attest to the UE700's capabilities there.  More of a general concavity in the mids as opposed to a V or U.

Quote:

Quote:

Having said that, I would really like to try a UE900 as people have told me it will blow my mind.

But the UE900s WILL blow your mind if those qualities are being prioritized. Technicalities are simply jaw-dropping.

I'll find out soon enough as the next L.A. meet (in July) will have UE on site with UE900s to try out. 
smile.gif

Quote:

I'm currently looking for a good all around iem for under $90.  I listen to a variety of music, from classic rock and psychedelic rock to hip hop to electronic.  My current listening experience (and the best sound I've experienced thus far) includes a pair of JVC HA-S500 headphones. These sound phenomenal to me.  So far, my favorite iem's have been a pair of Brainwavz M5's that were comfortable and enjoyable to listen to, but unfortunately I lost them.  I'm strongly considering ordering another pair of Branwavz M5's, however I'm considering any iem under $90. 

Something S500-like - could look at the FXD80 (the crispness seems to be a house-sound of sorts with JVC). Not as warm but still rather similar, at least crispness-wise. Otherwise personally find the M2s to do alot of what the M5s do sig-wise with more gusto, although I've also heard that they've changed up the sound of the M5 from when I heard them so do take with a grain of salt.

Along those lines, you might also want to consider an RHA MA350 as well.  Seems to carry a similar signature at a very reasonable price.  Just be sure to wear them up and possibly use the cinch to avoid microphonics.

Quote:
If you are looking for a very low cost temporary solution until you find what you really want, you could pick-up a pair of Mee M6 for under $20. They will NOT compare to something like the SE215, but they aren't horrible - and they are comfortable over-the-ear style IEMs that are easy to drive & very cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-CL-MEE-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2U

Hey that's good to know!  I have one of those M6 thingees.  Maybe I should take it out of the box?

Quote:

I'd much rather look at their other offerings like the Hephaes

Wow, I have one of those too!  Maybe I should pull that out of it's box as well!

Quote:
Quote:
I would probably go with a Beyer DT770/80 for this.  Or, if you can manage to find a really good deal on an HD 598, that would work too.  And as a last resort, maybe an HD558 would suffice.  I haven't heard the HD 558, but I know it has similarities with the HD 598 (and in fact shares the same drivers as the HD 598).

Wont i need an amp for the beyers?also are the sony ma900s good?also the dt770/80 is 230 dollars

And people tell me I'm bad at upselling.
rolleyes.gif
  Depends... what are you currently using as a source at home?  Haven't heard the MA900, though katun seems to think it's pretty good.  Not nearly as good as his PX 100-II though (lol
biggrin.gif
).  Yeah, the DT770/80 is a little over budget... but remember, comfort.

May 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #4,279 of 5,364
Quote:

Genres are helpful but ultimately we value different presentations. I say this way too often nowadays (mainly because most skimp out on this part) but stating sound signature preferences, any characteristics/parts in particular that you value on your current equipment, that you value being presented with said genres, would be immensely more helpful. 

Regarding the over-ear style of wearing IEMs - usually on stage people wrap them on the back of the head/neck, and pull the cinch up from there. A good portion of the nicer choices, at least sound-wise, at this budget will be primarily over-ears style so do keep that into consideration.

Got ya.
The Philips SHE3582 has a great body to it, nice sub-bass and pronounced tones on the high end, but the mid is muddy. Fantastic for EDM and dubstep.
When I had my Grado 80s, I LOVED the quality, but couldn't wear them at home or the office (sound bled out and I got too many complaints). Sub-bass was a bit lacking, but expected. Great for rock, not so good for EDM. Though, phenomenal for Classic rock.
The Klipsch S4s didn't quite have the low end I was looking for but the mids were nice and warm, but the highs had too much sibilance for me. Great for rock.

I hope this can help clarify a bit more

I need something that can bring out the vocals and wrap you up. I am looking for that bud that will cause you to close your eyes and just lose yourself the moment you turn them on.
I want to be able to hear David Gilmour's fingers slide along the frets, I need to be able to feel Keith Moon's kick drum about to burst.
I really want the best of all worlds, but with the DigiZoid ZO2, I think I can bring out the bass in IEMs that might be a little lacking.

I am just tired of collecting IEMs and not finding ones that I can live with for at least 6 months.

I should have clarified on the over-ear style. The ones that I have tried didn't have any guides on them and were very loose, making me more conscious of the fit than of the music itself.
From what I see, the Shure SE series has a form fitting style of over-ear that would probably work better for me.

Thanks SO much for your help!

May 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #4,280 of 5,364
Hi, 
I am trying to get away from earbuds as I want better sounding headphones for when I am on the subway and walking to work. I currently own Sennheiser HD485 for my home listening (though the ear pads need replacement) that I've had for a long time and I absolutely love the sound. They are light, and have the removable cord. I also own the Vmoda Crossfades but find them to be too bass heavy for my music style. I own HD280s but I do not find them too portable with the long cord. 

I listen to mostly Indie, acoustic, lots or rock & metal but I do not like a lot of bass. 
I am looking for a portable (doesn't need to fully fold) pair that are closed and let you hear more of what the musician planned. 
My HD485's are great because if I close my eyes its like I am at a concert. 
I would also like a shorter cord or the ability to change cords via plug in can. 
Preferably under $100 but could spend more if quality jumps that much. 

Thank you!

p.s I've done a lot of reading and am still having problems finding something to suite my needs, hence why I posted here. 

TLDR: I want a closed version of my Sennheiser HD485's for commuting with a shorter cord. 

stuff I listen to (if it helps)
http://youtu.be/n3tuxh8Eg_M?t=28s
http://youtu.be/dSrv-yQnkHE
http://youtu.be/w0PQS6fXIrc
http://youtu.be/ccLrLjxvo8E
http://youtu.be/hgIDpzPQo_I

May 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4,281 of 5,364
Quote:

I will chime in one the DT770pro/80.
I have had mine for over a year now and I cannot imagine parting with them. I wearing them for gaming and for music while coding (HOURS at a stretch) and they never get uncomfortable.
I EQed mine to bring out the mids and highs a bit more, but the bass on these are monsters.

You can find the DT770 for less than $230.
In fact, here is a local Craiglist for a pair: http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/msg/3794291631.html
(someone snag these, or I will) :)

EDIT: NM, I just did :) Slytherin, send me a PM if you want to buy the DT770. I need to let me wife try them, if she doesn't want them, I will hook you up).

May 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #4,282 of 5,364
I can chime-in on the HF5 - I really like the way they sound. It's a pretty typical "Ety Sound" - the sparkle is there and the bass is well defined - not flabby or boomy. Isolation is excellent (of course). The only reason they did not become my everyday IEM was that they tend to make my ears hurt if I wear them on a daily basis - something that Westone & Shure IEMs do not do. It could be that I'm seating the HF5 deeper in my ear canals in order to get the bass I am used to having from the Shure SE215 - if that is what is happening, I'm not doing it on purpose. Anyway - I like the HF5, they just don't seem to like me except as an occasional (pleasant) change of pace from the warmer Westone & Shure.

HTH

May 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #4,283 of 5,364
Quote:
TwinQy is back! 
smile.gif

I'll find out soon enough as the next L.A. meet (in July) will have UE on site with UE900s to try out. 
smile.gif

Along those lines, you might also want to consider an RHA MA350 as well.  Seems to carry a similar signature at a very reasonable price.  Just be sure to wear them up and possibly use the cinch to avoid microphonics.

Hey that's good to know!  I have one of those M6 thingees.  Maybe I should take it out of the box?

Wow, I have one of those too!  Maybe I should pull that out of it's box as well!

This is true.

You'll love them - I guarantee it (well I really can't but then again I can).

I've heard way too much about the MA350 to not have actually heard them :frowning2: One of these days....

Maybe I'm just the odd one out but I really find that IEMs tend to fit better when outside of the box.

Quote:
Got ya.
The Philips SHE3582 has a great body to it, nice sub-bass and pronounced tones on the high end, but the mid is muddy. Fantastic for EDM and dubstep.
When I had my Grado 80s, I LOVED the quality, but couldn't wear them at home or the office (sound bled out and I got too many complaints). Sub-bass was a bit lacking, but expected. Great for rock, not so good for EDM. Though, phenomenal for Classic rock.
The Klipsch S4s didn't quite have the low end I was looking for but the mids were nice and warm, but the highs had too much sibilance for me. Great for rock.

I hope this can help clarify a bit more

I need something that can bring out the vocals and wrap you up. I am looking for that bud that will cause you to close your eyes and just lose yourself the moment you turn them on.
I want to be able to hear David Gilmour's fingers slide along the frets, I need to be able to feel Keith Moon's kick drum about to burst.
I really want the best of all worlds, but with the DigiZoid ZO2, I think I can bring out the bass in IEMs that might be a little lacking.

I am just tired of collecting IEMs and not finding ones that I can live with for at least 6 months.

I should have clarified on the over-ear style. The ones that I have tried didn't have any guides on them and were very loose, making me more conscious of the fit than of the music itself.
From what I see, the Shure SE series has a form fitting style of over-ear that would probably work better for me.

While I can't literally guarantee those in specific, it seems that detailing and immediacy/intimacy is a recurring theme here. Something more subbassy than not, smooth. It just so happens that the IE800s (the TDKs, not the Senns) are straight-barrels, very much in line, at least sig-wise. Plenty of depth, slightly edging out their brethren BA200s in that regard. Slots way below the budget as well (you probably needn't an amp, the DAP is quite nice already). 

Although if you are a pricy spender and value clarity just as much (in terms of presentation, not exactly as immediate but certainly not diffuse) along with an even more balanced sig, the UE900s are worth a look at the very least. Upper mids slope downwards so the sibilance area is de-emphasized. Bass emphasis is subbass-centric. Memory wire along with the over-ear style. Nice lower-mid body. No way these can be construed as being muddy in any sense of the word. 

Quote:
Hi, 
I am trying to get away from earbuds as I want better sounding headphones for when I am on the subway and walking to work. I currently own Sennheiser HD485 for my home listening (though the ear pads need replacement) that I've had for a long time and I absolutely love the sound. They are light, and have the removable cord. I also own the Vmoda Crossfades but find them to be too bass heavy for my music style. I own HD280s but I do not find them too portable with the long cord. 

I listen to mostly Indie, acoustic, lots or rock & metal but I do not like a lot of bass. 
I am looking for a portable (doesn't need to fully fold) pair that are closed and let you hear more of what the musician planned. 
I would also like a shorter cord or the ability to change cords via plug in can. 

Thank you!

p.s I've done a lot of reading and am still having problems finding something to suite my needs, hence why I posted here. 

TLDR: I want a closed version of my Sennheiser HD485's for commuting with a shorter cord. 

stuff I listen to (if it helps)
http://youtu.be/n3tuxh8Eg_M?t=28s
http://youtu.be/dSrv-yQnkHE
http://youtu.be/w0PQS6fXIrc
http://youtu.be/ccLrLjxvo8E
http://youtu.be/hgIDpzPQo_I

Gotta hand it to Warren here - not very confident about recommending headphones at this budget.

May 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #4,284 of 5,364
I have NOT heard these - but I am interested to know if anyone else has - the Shure SRH440. They are available for under $100, closed back, look like they are fairly easy to drive (44 ohms & 105 dB/mW) and have a coiled AND detachable cable. I have read about people swapping the standard pads for the softer SRH840 pads. I have also read people describe the SRH440 as "analytical" and "bass-shy". I *want* them to sound good - if they are decent, they would satisfy a very commonly requested set of requirements.

The headroom graph sure looks like they would qualify as bass-shy...

But the story from Russia seems to be different:

Golden Ears seems to be similar to the Headroom graph:

May 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #4,285 of 5,364
Quote:

For the record, I wasn't ignoring you... and indeed have your other thread posting open in a tab... but I just haven't heard the gear you mentioned so there wasn't much I could say. 
redface.gif
  Good thing TwinQY stepped in and saved us both!

Quote:
Quote:

I will chime in one the DT770pro/80.
I have had mine for over a year now and I cannot imagine parting with them. I wearing them for gaming and for music while coding (HOURS at a stretch) and they never get uncomfortable.
I EQed mine to bring out the mids and highs a bit more, but the bass on these are monsters.

You can find the DT770 for less than $230.
In fact, here is a local Craiglist for a pair: http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/msg/3794291631.html
(someone snag these, or I will) :)

EDIT: NM, I just did :) Slytherin, send me a PM if you want to buy the DT770. I need to let me wife try them, if she doesn't want them, I will hook you up).

Slytherin, listen to the man, he's right.  Also because he might - like - hook you up and stuff. 
smile.gif

Quote:
I can chime-in on the HF5

Thank you!  Billy in full effect, love it! 
smile.gif

Quote:

I've heard way too much about the MA350 to not have actually heard them :frowning2: One of these days....

I can totally fix that.  I'll PM you.

Quote:

Maybe I'm just the odd one out but I really find that IEMs tend to fit better when outside of the box.

The thought had occurred to me, but I was like trying to use the Force.  BTW, the Force is BS.  And no, it's not because I'm doing it wrong. 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:
Hi, 

Gotta hand it to Warren here - not very confident about recommending headphones at this budget.

It's tough... especially since it seems that you are describing a lot of the benefits of an open can's soundstage Aristo... which won't be in a closed can of course.  Well maybe a little, but not in the way that you're used to.  Oh wait, maybe a K271/K272 would do.  It has "enough" of AKG staging, yet is closed.  But then again, not quite portable is it?  And it's more than $100 at that.

Oh wait a tick!  Aristo, how sensitive are you to treble, specifically sibilance?

May 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #4,286 of 5,364
Quote:
I have NOT heard these - but I am interested to know if anyone else has - the Shure SRH440.

it was one of the first real headphones I wanted to get after joining up here... then got caught up riding the AKG bandwagon so I don't know a thing about 'em. 
frown.gif

May 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #4,287 of 5,364
Quote:
I have NOT heard these - but I am interested to know if anyone else has - the Shure SRH440. They are available for under $100, closed back, look like they are fairly easy to drive (44 ohms & 105 dB/mW) and have a coiled AND detachable cable. I have read about people swapping the standard pads for the softer SRH840 pads. I have also read people describe the SRH440 as "analytical" and "bass-shy". I *want* them to sound good - if they are decent, they would satisfy a very commonly requested set of requirements.

The headroom graph sure looks like they would qualify as bass-shy...

But the story from Russia seems to be different:

Golden Ears seems to be similar to the Headroom graph:

Subjectively they are prone to roll-off. The SRH840s do slightly better in this regard but it isn't exactly an extension king (you could look at the graphs from site-that-must-not-be-mentioned to check that out). Quantitatively they seem more present than say, the HD428s, but only because of the longer-ish decay/reverb - though still remaining quite clean. 

In a nutshell they could be construed as being bass-shy but the stereotyped attribute of closed-back reverb makes it seem much more bearable - to my tastes, they are just about right. But then again the Q701s are just about right for me as well, so do take that with a grain of salt. 

For the record, I wasn't ignoring you... and indeed have your other thread posting open in a tab... but I just haven't heard the gear you mentioned so there wasn't much I could say.  
redface.gif
  Good thing TwinQY stepped in and saved us both!

Thank you!  Billy in full effect, love it!  
smile.gif

I can totally fix that.  I'll PM you.

The thought had occurred to me, but I was like trying to use the Force.  BTW, the Force is BS.  And no, it's not because I'm doing it wrong.  
tongue.gif

To be fair I saw that other thread as well so was fervently typing something up. Phew. 

Another one to the team...?

Patiently waiting...

My way of the Force would be to forcefully rip open the package so that I can listen to what I've bought...oc that would be horrible for resale value (something that I have to keep in mind VERY often).

May 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4,288 of 5,364
Quote:
Subjectively they are prone to roll-off. The SRH840s do slightly better in this regard but it isn't exactly an extension king (you could look at the graphs from site-that-must-not-be-mentioned to check that out). Quantitatively they seem more present than say, the HD428s, but only because of the longer-ish decay/reverb - though still remaining quite clean. 

In a nutshell they could be construed as being bass-shy but the stereotyped attribute of closed-back reverb makes it seem much more bearable - to my tastes, they are just about right. But then again the Q701s are just about right for me as well, so do take that with a grain of salt. 

+1

I am an owner of both the Q701 and SRH840. Both fit my tastes fairly well, also
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #4,289 of 5,364
Quote:
To be fair I saw that other thread as well so was fervently typing something up. Phew. 

Another one to the team...?

Patiently waiting...

My way of the Force would be to forcefully rip open the package so that I can listen to what I've bought...oc that would be horrible for resale value (something that I have to keep in mind VERY often).

I felt so bad when he said it was getting buried in the sticky...
frown.gif

Yup!  Hope so!

YGPM

Hahaha, you know you'd never sell. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back